Medicine Cards

Little Owl

Hi
I have the Medicine Card deck by Jamie Sams I wondered if anybody else using them could perhaps answer a question please. I love these cards and can relate them easily enough when pulling them for myself but I find it difficult to read them for someone else and find myself regurgitating what is written in the book that comes with them. I would also like to know of some different spreads to try with them as I find the ones offered in the book quite difficult. Any ideas?
Thanks
Little Owl

lunalafey

Reguritation from the book is not a bad thing with these cards.
The medicine of the animals have been part of the NA tradition for ages.
I don't really do much spread-work with these cards.
I just pull one and take that animals medicine into my life (or encourage it for others) for the time/issue that was inquired about.

Not much help, sorry ;)

Little Owl

medicine cards

Thank you, yes they are really good to draw out on a daily basis for yourself but I would like to be able to use them for actual readings.
Your right though the Native Americans really do know about the animals, there is a lot we can learn from them.
Thank you
Little Owl

Chronata

I discovered that one of the best ways to read with them is to make a list of what each animal means to me.

I did this when I first got the cards...I meditated on each animal and wrote down a list of all the words, concepts, traits, symbols and ideas that came to mind.

There were a few that I really didn't know anything about, and actually was quite stumped by! (the grouse, and elk for example)
But I did some internet research about the animals, and was able to add to my list.

and after all that I read the stories and meanings in the book...and while many of them were very close to what I had written, overall, I found that each animal could hold a variety of different meanings (like Wolf...for example...means many things to me!)

When you aren't locked into just one story...you can find a lot of alternate meanings that make your readings deeper.

I also looked up folklore of other countries that hold animals sacred or have their own animal legends...and I do occasionally add these to my readings as well.

And finally...if it's not out of print, or difficult to find...pick up a copy of the Medicine Cards Just For Today...tiny versions of the cards with a phrase on each one...I love these! They add a nice extrta touch to the readings too!

Little Owl

Chronata

Thank you so much for your reply , it is very helpful and a great idea. I havent heard of the other cards you mentioned but I shall have a look for them, are they by Jamie Sams as well ? I dont suppose you would consider starting a study group as you seem to have done your homework on the Medicine cards , no pressure lol. Do you use other animal decks as well , just curious.
Thank you so much for your help.
Little Owl

Chronata

Hi Little Owl!
Oh my! A study group! Well I have no time to start one but if someone else does... and I end up having the time, I would certainly like to help!

The Medicine Cards Just For Today are the same artist, and really more or less the same deck...just as a mini pocket version. (I think they are even smaller than standard playing cards)

And I like the phrases on them, even though many times I ignore them when doing readings for others!

I do have many other animal oracles...but I like these the best.

I don't know why...I think the pictures are beautifully illustrated, and I like the selection of animals chosen...though like I said, I needed to do some research on many of them that I didn't know anything about!

Here's a pic of what they look like...

I don't know how hard they are to find, but they are from the same publisher...
the ISBN number is
1-879181-46-0

Attachments

• medicine sample.jpg
    medicine sample.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 214

froggy

when I use these, I usually have Ted Andrews "Animal Talk" next to me too. He has a deeper insight into the animals too. I also tried to just sit there, look at the animal and try to think of all the fables or myths connected to it and try to figure out what that animal means to me

memries

I like my Medicine cards very much. Also am a fan of Ted Andrews and have his Animal-Speak book close by. That is certainly a good book to have in conjunction with your cards. There are many ideas in there for sure.

Understanding the cards involves being aware of the essence of the animal.
Animals are complex just like humans so there are many levels you can think about for one animal. Is it a social pack animal or a single wanderer. Is it a predator with wiles or passive. Is it an insect or fish type. The list goes on.

I would enjoy a study group but not sure I want to start one. Maybe we could do it together.
Another interesting aspect is animals appearing in your dreams. The interpretation of that can be very revealing and helpful.

For example, I dreamed I was a bee in a hive ! That took some doing to understand and of course I still don't know it all and probably never will.
But I read things and Bees were a royal emblem for Napoleon and even before him. The Bee has a very royal lineage into antiquity.

froggy

memries said:
I like my Medicine cards very much. Also am a fan of Ted Andrews and have his Animal-Speak book close by. That is certainly a good book to have in conjunction with your cards. There are many ideas in there for sure.

Understanding the cards involves being aware of the essence of the animal.
Animals are complex just like humans so there are many levels you can think about for one animal. Is it a social pack animal or a single wanderer. Is it a predator with wiles or passive. Is it an insect or fish type. The list goes on.

I would enjoy a study group but not sure I want to start one. Maybe we could do it together.
Another interesting aspect is animals appearing in your dreams. The interpretation of that can be very revealing and helpful.

For example, I dreamed I was a bee in a hive ! That took some doing to understand and of course I still don't know it all and probably never will.
But I read things and Bees were a royal emblem for Napoleon and even before him. The Bee has a very royal lineage into antiquity.

I am fairly new to the animal world of meanings, but very drawn to it. I would love if we can compare thoughts on different animals.

Also, I love the nine empty cards that come with the deck. I already added the Lion, because my Zodiac sign is Leo and I have felt quite close to this animal since my early childhood before I even knew anything about astrological signs.

memries

I had the privilege of doing a day Seminar put on by Ted Andrews and of course that got me turned on to all the animals. If an animal crosses my path I have to figure out what it is telling me. Surprisingly many animals do cross our path but being aware of them is the thing.

Animals, birds, insects, fish. I have a new feeling for them even when I rescue a ladybug from inside the house. Where were they all winter ?
They must have been hibernating somewhere in the big glass patio doors.
I have seen about four of them so far. I let them out of course.