Medicine Cards

Milfoil

I love my Medicine Cards deck and use it together with the Sacred Path deck also by Jamie Sams.

I don't tend to read for others with either of them though, they are more of a personal developement tool for me right now.

shadowdancer

please don't give up on them - they are amazing to work with.

What I did was take some key words/phrases from the book, and then typed them up as my own paragraph. this paragraph wasthen my starter for 10 when doing readings, but you will find as you become more experienced with them, the reading just flows.

With regards the spreads, they are not too bad once you get used to them, and if you are really concerned you could always create your own?

I would certainly recommend the Sacred Path also. Both decks are inspirational.

Good luck

Davina

Rev_Vesta

I have been using The Sacred Path Cards with my Native American Tarot and have just purchased the Medicine Cards..... I typed up the One word description from the book on a small sticker and placed it on the bottom of the card..... now when i do a quick spread, the words trigger awhole lot of different meanings within me until I get used to working with the cards........
without looking at each card within the book........

I did that with my Wolf Song pack, works really well when doing larger spreads...... without refering to the book all the time.....

just an idea.... loved that deck with the meanings actually typed on the card............

and inregards to spreads.......
Try the Medicine Wheel spreads but use your own questions to each position......create your own topics, questions.......

Maybe do one on relationships.... or career.......

The Golden Spiral Spread is great from inner to outer worlds.......or from outer to inner worlds.......5, 8 or 13 cards..........

Found the reading very powerful........

Vesta

Seaqueen

Little Owl said:
Hi
I have the Medicine Card deck by Jamie Sams I wondered if anybody else using them could perhaps answer a question please. I love these cards and can relate them easily enough when pulling them for myself but I find it difficult to read them for someone else and find myself regurgitating what is written in the book that comes with them. I would also like to know of some different spreads to try with them as I find the ones offered in the book quite difficult. Any ideas?
Thanks
Little Owl
Hi Little Owl,

Which deck do you have? I have both the original deck of Medicine Cards by David Carson and Jamie Sams and the later version. There are more larger cards in the original deck with extra animals which are not included in the second version.

I do the one card draw like many others but I also find the horoscope wheel very helpful. Actually, if you have a little background in Astrology this layout works for any deck of cards.

You don't have to know a lot of the astrology wheel. Google search the 'house meanings' and pick one or two things for each of the 12 houses of the wheel.

When the animal's medicine falls into certain houses you can discover areas of your life which should incorporate the teachings of the animals.

Seaqueen

ZenBen

I found the medicine cards deck and book at a garage sale for.... one dollar. What a deal eh?

motsa

Which deck do you have? I have both the original deck of Medicine Cards by David Carson and Jamie Sams and the later version. There are more larger cards in the original deck with extra animals which are not included in the second version.
Actually, the deck with the extra cards is the second deck, not the original one.

BodhiSeed

motsa said:
Actually, the deck with the extra cards is the second deck, not the original one.
Motsa, do you happen to know what the extra cards are?

motsa

Blue Heron, Raccoon, Prairie Dog, Wild Boar, Salmon, Alligator, Jaguar, and Black Panther. (The most recent post in my blog compares the two versions of the deck.)

BodhiSeed

Thanks Motsa! I wasn't sure which version I had until now! (the 2nd)