A journey and a frog (dream)

loobiloo

Years ago I used have the same dream time after time, about walking from my childhood home to London, where I lived for a while in my late 20s. Of course, this just isn't possible unless you are superfit and have days to spare, but I knew a shortcut! And in my dreams I would go through specific places; tunnels, side-streets, markets etc, and know every sign-post and landmark along the way. Gradually the route changed until finally I could no longer find my way through - roads were blocked, or I simply didn't recognise the place. And then I stopped having the dream. Until last night, that is.

For some reason the dream has come back to me. Last night in my dream I was showing my husband and daughter this route (I'd been alone in past dreams). We came to the place I had been previously blocked. It's a giant underground place, huge rooms and corridors. I was looking for one room in particular that I knew had a children's play area in it, and we found it eventually but it had changed completely. It looked like a cafe instead. I spoke to someone behind the counter and asked if the market was still there, the one I used to walk through on my previous journeys. They pointed to the stairs leading down to it and said that the area had been completely excavated and we couldn't go down there. Apparently some work had been done to find Roman ruins, and the market (which had stretched out along narrow underground corridors and caverns) had been closed. I realised then why my attempts to walk this route all those years ago had stopped. Things had changed.

Back to the cafe - in one corner was a giant, leafy pot plant. I noticed something rustling and took a closer look, only to find a green frog moving around among the leaves :). It's eyes were bright and golden. It was the cutest frog you have ever seen and strangely, we could communicate! I wanted to take it's photo and obligingly the frog posed for me with a big grin on it's face. Now what was that all about?!

Sorry for the length of the post. Is there any meaning to all of this or is it just the ramblings of an over active imagination? :D

lark

Question...do you or anyone else in the dream have a mental or physical impairment?

loobiloo

lark said:
Question...do you or anyone else in the dream have a mental or physical impairment?

Noooo, not that I remember. I'm very curious now! Why?

lark

Well frogs in a dream sometimes mean a physical or mental disability or should I say inability to do move forward and do what you feel you need to do....
The cafe is a resting place, as is the play room you are looking for.
A place to sit down for a minute and regroup and think and set down any burdens you maybe carrying.
The frogs golden eyes indicate this disability whatever it is will also bring a sense of goodness into your life.
And taking a photo with him is telling you that there is a message for you in all this...same with a green plant he is sitting on.. a message....
The first part of the dream you have had before over and over, but it has changed over the years.
It goes from a place where you can maneuver in easily to a place where there are blockages and changes at every turn.
This last dream the blocks start to make sense to you...they are changes like things being knocked down and things being rebuilt that will never be the same again from now on.
Some of it is good like the golden eyes of the frog, but some makes you sad because it is a loss of memories and ability...

So I didn't want to scare you or anything but the first part of the dream makes sense with the frog symbol....

loobiloo

Thankyou Lark! I can see how the changing patterns of my journeys and the blocks along the way might be somehow related to changing brain patterns/connections. Is that what you mean? I guess our brains are often rewiring along the way. It's amazing how these things can then play themselves out in dreams in such vivid ways. I knew this dream was important because is was SO vivid and I was totally engrossed in it, almost to the point of being lucid.

Now, the frog gave me no negative feelings at all, so if he is related to lack of mental ability or anything like that, then I'm quite happy to leave that mental baggage there in the cafe!

I hadn't thought about the plant being symbolic... my attention was on the frog... so that's something to consider :)

Many thanks Lark, for taking the time to analyse my odd dream :). Don't worry, you haven't scared me in any way. I'm just totally intrigued instead!

xxx

ETA: I just remembered something... immediately before sleeping I asked for a 'healing' dream. Could this be the result of that???

lark

And changing attitudes about life....I'm sure you are a different person today then you were when you started to have the dreams when you were younger...for one you have a husband and a child...that is a kind of baggage on your journey...we never probably think of our loved ones as baggage, but they do change our dynamics of living and the way we think...different things become important to us....

Yes, every little thing in a dream is a symbol, there are many more in your dream I didn't even touch on...that you are not afraid of the frog is a good thing it means you are able to embrace whatever limitations come your way on the rest of your journey.

lark

loobiloo said:
ETA: I just remembered something... immediately before sleeping I asked for a 'healing' dream. Could this be the result of that???
Yes, because then we can look at the Frog as a totem animal that is bringing you a message...photo, green plant...see how that makes sense.
Now see if you can find out what a frog totem is for and I'll look to and get back to you.

loobiloo

Thanks again Lark... I appreciate your help :). Now I'm off to do some googling ;)

loobiloo

lark said:
And changing attitudes about life....I'm sure you are a different person today then you were when you started to have the dreams when you were younger...for one you have a husband and a child...that is a kind of baggage on your journey...we never probably think of our loved ones as baggage, but they do change our dynamics of living and the way we think...different things become important to us....

You've made me think hard about this. When I used to have this dream, in the past, I was probably much more free and independant. I've always been the independant type! And I could make the dream journey with no problems. Then the blocks started. And my life was becoming progressively more encumbered... more responsibility (family - I have an elderly dad too). Sometimes it makes me feel claustrophobic. I still pine for the days I could be spontaneous and free! Not that I would change anything of course, because I love my family and the security I have, but there is an element of frustration. Wow, I didn't think it would go THIS deep!

lark said:
Yes, every little thing in a dream is a symbol, there are many more in your dream I didn't even touch on...that you are not afraid of the frog is a good thing it means you are able to embrace whatever limitations come your way on the rest of your journey.

I've been exploring frog totems and it's fascinating. One theme that comes through is the issue of cleansing. I've been suffering anxiety lately (my mental disability perhaps?) and have also been doing lots of practise readings with my tarot. Last night I felt drained. Cleansing is definitely something I need to do more of, for my mental health as much as anything. I'll explore that issue some more...

xxx

Daizdy

What stands out to me in this dream is that the frog is out of its element. How often do we find frogs in potted plants! The fact that you noticed his big golden eyes is an indicator to me as well. Frogs leap. This seems to be a temporary dwelling place and the gold color might denote finances.

Not being allowed to go down to the old market place might be saying you're past a point you can't go back to. You're temporarily in another place now, perhaps financially but you'll soon move on.

Does that make sense at all?

Edited to add: The frog seems quite comfortable for the moment where he is, so, it doesn't seem like it's a distress call or anything....