A Melissa Language of Lenormand Study Group

LaLaBella

Hello. I have received permission from Melissa to start a study group for those of us who have bought The Language of Lenormand course from her. Anyone who wants to participate just let me know.
I can't be the only Lenormand novice out there so I figure that we can learn together.
Melissa probably will be unable to drop in often because she's quite the busy camper so I'm very grateful that she has given the okay for this.

I'm excited! :D

LaLaBella

Card 1-The Rider

I'm using my French Cartomancy Deck because it's the only Lenormand that I own right now. All these answers will probably change once I get my Melissa Lenormand later this month.

First impressions: Looking at the card, the first thing I see is someone in a big hurry to get somewhere. Now I know that the rider represents someone giving your news of some sort. I guess you could think of him as a herald.

Going into details: Why is he slowing down the horse? It looks like he's preventing the horse from moving as quickly as he could. The rider is in control of the horse and therefore in control of whatever message he's supposed to be sending.
Is he going to get the message to the recipiant in time for it to be of any use? Is it going to be after the fact? Is he going to encounter any obstacles while en route?

Building Cartomancy Skills: I have zero straight cartomancy skills. The card states 9 :heart: (Thanks Cardlady!).
I know that the suit of hearts corresponds to the suit of cups in tarot. I could wax eloquent or just long winded on tarot suits but instead, I will direct you to a spiel I wrote on the suit in 2002.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=72751&postcount=2

Numerology is where I pretty much fail at cartomancy so it's time to do some homework.

Building your Lenormand dictionary:
Nouns: Messenger, message, alert, telegram, Notice, announcement, visitor, a catalyst
Verbs: alerts, notifies, relays, informs, updates
Adjectives: quickly, briefly

Will have to look up some numerology after doing some chores.

214red

1 is usually initiation in numerology 1 is the I number,its single minded and focused on itself, its about movement, creativitity, not so much about partnership or team work.

sinces its an initiation number it can be unpredictable, because it doesnt always get past the initiation stage, it can burn out, its not very stable. it can make things happen, but might not be there to stick it out.

LaLaBella

1 is usually initiation in numerology 1 is the I number,its single minded and focused on itself, its about movement, creativitity, not so much about partnership or team work.

sinces its an initiation number it can be unpredictable, because it doesnt always get past the initiation stage, it can burn out, its not very stable. it can make things happen, but might not be there to stick it out.

Thanks! The question is do I use the 1 for Rider, the 9 for 9 of hearts or both numbers? That's part of my current confusion.

214red

Thanks! The question is do I use the 1 for Rider, the 9 for 9 of hearts or both numbers? That's part of my current confusion.

perhaps just list the numrology for all numbers in one post and people can try which one works

LaLaBella

perhaps just list the numrology for all numbers in one post and people can try which one works

That does sound like a good ideal. Thanks again.

sapienza

I'd love to learn more about Lenormand but I don't have the course/book. Maybe I need to change that :)

LaLaBella

I'd love to learn more about Lenormand but I don't have the course/book. Maybe I need to change that :)
I am just learning myself. I figure that if I focus on learning one card a day it will help. But I'm still fixating on The Rider card.
Back when the Lenormand was created, there was no cell-phones, no telegraphs, no texting. The only way emergency messages got relayed was through "The Rider" even though a more accurate description would probably be "The Messenger."
This also explains why speed is associated with this card.

9 :heart: A generic description is about wishes coming true or overindulgence in food/drink. How this would even correlate with The Rider is beyond me.
But I found a link to a place called Astrologica http://berglund.ceze.com/english/cards_en.htm
and the meaning there is more in line with the card in question.

Card Name: Nine of Hearts
Card Meaning Upright: News from a foreign country or from far away.
Card Meaning Reversed: Stability, homesickness.
-----------
Edited version
9-end of a cycle, properity, ability to attract what one needs; reassessment, striving for perfection.

9 :heart:
Contentment, phyiscal health, success, dreams about to come true, fulfilling relationships

LaLaBella

2-The Clover

I look at the picture of the Postmark Lenormand card in the text and just see the four-leaf clovers. So my first impression is what the card means. Luck.

Some of the other research I've been doing talks about hope, positive attitude, second chances & lucky twists of fate.

Looking hard at my FC card and I see a cloverflower bud. The card itself does not speak to me at all.

It corresponds to the 6 :diamond:
I have decided to return to my Tarot roots where this part is concerned. The information for The Rider will be adjusted accordingly.
Receiving of gifts or philantrophy. Unexpected inheritance. Receiving support, recognition, awards. Being in a position to provide one of the above to someone who needs it.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Diamond/Pentacles: see this spiel:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=75953&postcount=14

The number 6 represents success, contentment, harmony, sacrifice, effort, choice.

Nouns: Luck, inheritance, award, gift, break
Verbs: benefiting, facilitate, increase
Adjectives: lucky, unexpected, surprise.

LaLaBella

I think that I need to trash all of my notes and start from scratch. Instead of going in card order, maybe do an draw and see how the cards interact. My hope is that will help me build a working Lenormand vocabulary.
Stay tuned...