a question about the diferent thoth tarot versions

Bhavana

I often wonder how these decks came to be. Were they printing mistakes? Or did they mean to print them with a green tint. There are also different versions of green. Some are very subtle, others are very green. Mine is just probably a 'standard' greenie, green enough to be noticeable but not as green as some of the scans I've seen online.

And what made them pull this version from the Market and completely reprint them, never to be printed again?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that people complained, didn't like the green. In my opinion, it is a little overwhelming to the other colors, and the colors are one of the main things I like about the Thoth....but still, the green is cool and different enough that I like having it.

gregory

But yours are greener? I'd love to see a photo...is there one up anywhere on AT or do you have one?
(I will remember to keep an eye out for broccoli green thoth decks for you!)
I'll try, but I have no scanner here, and my camera isn't that great on exact colour....
Because the deck wasn't complete :(, I passed a card to LeFanu to complete HIS incomplete greenie. He did say mine really stands out among the rest :D

But yours is nice and green :)

Emily

I've just done a quick search but come up empty handed - I'm sure there are a couple of threads that have images posted of the various green Thoths. I remember posting scans of mine in a couple of threads too, still can't find them though. :(

Stormdancer

But yours are greener? I'd love to see a photo...is there one up anywhere on AT or do you have one?
(I will remember to keep an eye out for broccoli green thoth decks for you!)
There's one around...I ran into it today. VERY GREEN!!!

Stormdancer

Here are my notes of my deck. A HUGE thanks to all of you, and especially Cerulean for her VERY detailed description.

http://www.manstenen.com/4021_thoth.jpg

Top Flap:published and Distributed by
U.S. Games Systems, Inc., New York, N. Y. 10016 (these two lines in black)
Instead, mine gives an address of Stamford, CT 06909 USA

Both sides have the same printing:

ALEISTER CROWLEY THOTH TAROT DECK
CARDS PRINTED IN BELGIUM . BOOKLET AND BOX PRINTED IN USA
ISBN: 0-913866-15-6
I only have the ISBN along the left side. CRAP…I read somewhere about the ISBN only being on the later printings. Now I don't remember where.

Extras:pamphlet/LWB: 45 pages
My LWB has 49 pages. Page 50 is blank for "Notes" as is the inside of the back cover. The LWB has the same ISBN as the box. And I just picked it up again and the back cover has a decks & books available. I've never heard of "Facsmile tarot decks"….what ARE those?

The number series on the Llewellyn runs from 10 to 1. The number series on the US Games runs from 20 to 12. I think I must have a very late Llewellyn. I'll try to post a photo tonight.
This is kinda where I got confused. Okokok, I've ALWAYS been confused, but ANYway… I finally found these "print run" numbers…**sigh** Mine are 10 9 8. I get that this means a later printing, but I see NOthing saying Llewellyn….anywhere.

The only other thing I have to add is that my Emperor is ORANGE and not RED. I read about that somewhere too....??????? Naptime!

Chiska

Stormy your deck is EXACTLY the same as mine. Same LWB, same Box (except mine has kitties on it), same description. :D

Actually, it is the same as my other Greenie as well. Except that one has the wrong LWB - it is EXACTLY the same as the LWB described (extra notes pages, etc.) EXCEPT, the publisher is Samuel Weiser.

And funny detail... the US Games one says:

U.S. GAMES SYSTEMS, INC.
Publishers * Stamford, CT 06902 USA

and the Weiser one says:

SAMUEL WEISER INC.
Publisher * York Beach, ME 03910 USA

Notice that "s" on the end of "Publisher" for USG version. Strange :D

Chiska

And the Llewellyn version came in the two part box - I don't think it ever came in a tuck box. The cards had blue borders on the card faces.

The print run on my Weiser LWB is 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

AND the LWB has one other difference I didn't mention...the ISBN for the Weiser is of course different.