A Really Good Marseille Book...

jmd

Part of the 'problem', from my perspective, is not so much that there is a lack of quality books on the Marseille, but rather what is it that someone is specifically after?

For example, and unlike 20th century decks, any books that claim to expound 'the' meaning behind the Marseille will simply, on the whole, be making its own claims, rather than those of the Marseille.

Various books already do that, and a number of them in English.

If one is after more historical materials, then the amount easily available in English appears to be greater than the amount in French.

Notwithstanding this, there are some very good books in French that could do with an English translation - Marteau included. The small number of us that have looked at it (and some members here actually started to translate it with possible intention of publishing) have found that, in his case, the turn of phrase, or poetic-prose Marteau uses to be part of the problem.

What, exactly, would make a good book on the Marseille?

gregory

Teheuti said:
I look forward to Lee's new book.

I'd like to also recommend:
_Mystical Origins of the Tarot_ by Paul Huson which compares and contrasts older meanings to those of the GD.

Mary
So do I - it's GREAT. Thanks to Moongold for putting me onto it ! :)

Moongold

Books with much material on the Marseille which I've found useful:

• Irene Gadd: Tarot and Individuation
    Paul Huson: Mystical Origins of the Tarot
    Stuart Kaplan: Encyclopaedia of Tarot Vol. I
    Sally Nicholls: Jung and Tarot

Also some books on numerology.

Lots of internet articles and Aeclectic discussions as well.

And then the Let's Marseille sub-forum which Charming Pixie and Diana and others established in 2004 :). This was experimental and was later disbanded.

firecatpickles

As I have said repeatedly (as I cannot contain my enthusiasm), my partner has gained a sudden interest in tarot and commandeered one of my new decks (Thunderbay TdM). He insists he use the intuitive method, and from what I can see already, he's a natural! And this book is exactly what he needs. I want to get one of the first copies as soon as it comes out (autographed!)...

KK
:THANG

Lee

jmd said:
For example, and unlike 20th century decks, any books that claim to expound 'the' meaning behind the Marseille will simply, on the whole, be making its own claims, rather than those of the Marseille.
I agree with this 100%. This is why in my own book I took an historical approach.

-- Lee

Shade

Lee, is your book going to be packaged with the LS Universal (a la the Fey) or available separately?

gregory

I don't know much about all this (yet) but just came upon this thread about a book, apparently with a lot about the Marseille in it:
Personality, Divination and the Tarot by Carl Sargent

- if it's of interest to anyone.

Fulgour

What "history" are you referring to?

Lee said:
I agree with this 100%. This is why in my own book
I took an historical approach.
Don't you mean Non-Historical ~ if you disdain 'modern' interpretations?

Lee

Shade said:
Lee, is your book going to be packaged with the LS Universal (a la the Fey) or available separately?
Sorry, I missed these last few posts.

Yes, the book is available as a kit with the deck, as well as separately.

Lee

Fulgour said:
Don't you mean Non-Historical ~ if you disdain 'modern' interpretations?
I don't believe I disdain modern interpretations, as evidenced by my work on other projects like the Gay Tarot and the Tarot of Dreams.

-- Lee