A State of Abstraction - Le Bateleur

Rosanne

Well a musing on the subject at least...... OH where to put this thread?????

In the TdM cards the title of card 1 is the Bateleur- a French word meaning tightrope walker/dancer.
Tight rope walking has a long history from Egyptian times.
The European word is Funambulus from the Latin word Funis- a rope and ambulare meaning to walk.

Why is our Man on the card not on a tightrope?
Bateleur is a very specific term- so specific that a Kite/hawk is called a Bateleur from the way it flies using it’s wings like a walkers pole to balance, tipping from side to side.

To use the terms that bring to mind fairground hustlers- like thimblerigger- flimflam man- juggler , jongleur etc, seems more appropriate. Maybe it was a mistake? Maybe it was indicating someone else?
It is my contention that it may well be depicting a Lawyer- that vilified profession in the years of TdM Tarot’s birth.

Frederick ll of Hohenstaufen (1194-1250) who to his death was the Holy Roman Emperor, was a clever man and one of his essays was on the Structure and Habit of Birds He studied Aristotle and used a Aristotelian habit of dividing subject matter into positive and negative statements, and started with the positive debate. For this essay he deviated it would seem. He talked of birds been raptorial and non raptorial and the Bateleur is raptorial who prey upon those they are able to hold- they feed only on their prey therefore are not carrion. They are called ‘rapacious’ or ‘greedy clawed’ and they are robbers.
Methinks Frederick was bitten by ecclesiastical Lawyers!

In the beginning of the Middle ages because Germanic rulers had gradually taken over control of Government, the existing Legal system needed mending -Law schools had closed and before the 12th Century there was no longer trained jurists in Italy, Spain, France and Great Britain. Judges and Lawyers with formal training in the Roman legal system were gone. In the 12th century they started to re-appear because Roman Law and Cannon Law was revived in Bologna and Paris. (Specific Universites)So those lay people who had been advocates for the people until then were untrained and in the main unscrupulous. By the time of the Renaissance…..significant numbers of Lawyers (who practised in the Church Courts especially) were depicted by many authors as Bloodsuckers, Hypercritics, Sacrilegious, Foul mouthed, devious, deceitful,
rapacious- Vultures- Kites- Hawks was just a few names. This vilification lasts to this very day.
I think that card one would have been quickly recognised back then not as a fair ground man, but the man who the practiced Law as the ultimate confidence game. The raptorial bird- the Bateleur. Note the predominate purse on the table.

~Rosanne

Bernice

"......but the man who the practiced Law as the ultimate confidence game. The raptorial bird- the Bateleur. Note the predominate purse on the table."

Missed you Rosanne!
Seems the ideal place for this thread - it's a post about a Marseille card supported with historical data.

Bear with me..... the spanish (tarot) deck went to France and Le Bateleur is the french title. If it reflects the original one for this card, then I think you've made a brilliant deduction. (especially useful for readings).

Love your brain. :)

Bee x

Rosanne

Hi Bee ! Waving frantically!!!!

Hmmmm, it is for enriching readings that I try and look at the cards with a critical eye, from the everyday ways of back 600 years or so.
It must be said that other cards have other titles- like Bagattelliere, which Kwaw has said means through translation a seller of Trifles. The French Title has stayed, along with his dressy clothes which always confused me. Even if you think this card depicts a merchant, apart from the thimble scam- the other articles on the bench are a strange array. Sometimes an inkpot, a knife, a pen, two cups (never three) or cakes, always a purse- although on the cary-yale sheet the purse is at the waist. Italian cards have a a tooth extractor, boots......What is a fairground flimflam man doing with a pen and Inkpot? One 18th Century TdM type has books and what appears to be three Herrings. Very fishy.

They all have this thingy stick in their hand that has been appropriated for a magicians wand.
He Ho... more musing to be done.
~Rosanne

Bernice

Waving back!

I have to admit that after a number of discussions here & elsewhere I finally settled for the flimflam man approach, aside from the visconti fellow (straw-hat discussion) who may be about to dole out wages.

But as you say all versions are holding/waving a 'stick', (pointer, pen, thing to poke people with?). Would members of the legal profession carry a stick-like thing I wonder - badge of office? Although if it's a pen, plus the ink-wells = perhaps it's meant to convey that the person is carrying out some sort of legal or civil undertaking (as you surmise).

Flimflam or lawyer, the only difference would be that one is legimately scamming the public, and other isn't!

Bee x

Sumada

Very interesting. Thank you...

Rosanne

Well very interesting.... Volume 11 Of Kaplan has many examples of this card and if you look at the various printings, for example The Giacomo Recchi Tarot p.358... with a magnifying glass, the cylinder in the hand is a roll of paper/parchment.
His License? Or maybe if a Lawyer the one page Consilia or legal advice he was required to present. A diploma maybe-not a wand it would seem.

~Rosanne

Debra

Questions questions.

What about the history of judicial dress? There's an article about it...

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=2948664

I think people wore uniforms indicating social class and trades. I have the impression that every profession had a kind of uniform, as many do still.

Sounds like they would have worn scholars' robes back in the day. http://www.nswbar.asn.au/docs/about/what_is/gowns.pdf

In decks where there's a cobbler rather than a whatever-he-is, he wears the shoemaker's apron.

Wouldn't more people know the montebank than the lawyer?

And what about Justice? How does the lawyer be #1 while Justice is higher?

eta: According to wikipedia :rolleyes: there wasn't much in the way lawyering going on at the time--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_legal_profession#Middle_Ages

uuuggghhh there's books on the history of the legal profession...kill me now....

garmonbozia

Even if you think this card depicts a merchant, apart from the thimble scam- the other articles on the bench are a strange array.

Great thread. The inconsistencies of this card over the centuries is exactly what makes it my favorite. I've never been able to settle on what I think this card really means, yet I feel incredibly drawn to it and I love studying the differences between the many different interpretations of it (even just among the TdMs).

Rosanne

Hi Debra and Garmonbozia!
Well the reason I chose the TdM (as in the Noblet ) is that this is the type of card that was modelled for the Magician now. Yes I agree that there are distinct variations of what is held in the hand- a chalice/cup for example in some Italian cards, along with different things like pliers and bandages which would indicate a dentist or doctor. The cup for wine?
Wine was what they poured on wounds as an antiseptic.

We also do not know if types like the Noblet were the most common and liked cards- because the most used cards would not have survived given the usuage and material.
So along came those quasi secret societies who thought the Tarot was ancient knowledge from Egypt and hey presto we have a wand. As is above- so below. This lasts to this day given Pamela's cards.

Debra asks what is a lawyer doing as card One? What if that wand was a rolled scroll called an Indulgence? I have often thought and indeed argued that cards were a parody- a joke against the church. There is this humour, cartooney look to many that survived long after woodblocks crude carving(except in Germany i.e Drurer) and followed into printing presses.

Looking at early playing cards- the humour is what is most striking.
Lets say for arguments sake it is an Indulgence in his hand and he is a Pardoner- the term for those ratbags that sold entrance to Heaven. You can see why the Papesse(card 2) is looking across at him with shock. The Vulture who preys and robs? The tightrope walker who walks on a rope (usually tied to the church steeple) and is the go to man for buying Heaven?
Does that not change how you view this card when reading it?

~Rosanne

Moonbow

Hi Rosanne :)

In the game of Tarot the Bateleur is the lowest ranking trump which fits with him being a con artist.... perhaps with Lawyer too, since you mention them being untrained and unscrupulous etc.

Great to see a thread which stretches us again. Bateleur as a lawyer is sending me into a Google loop.