A strange little unnamed deck :)

astronautica

I never find decks at second-hand stores, so when I spied this one at the shop down the road I snapped it up eagerly! I've posted about it on my blog, but thought I'd share some pics here too to see if anyone might know what it is. Some of the minors are Thothy, some of them are scenic pips and some of them are plain pips. It's a little cheesy and not very well thought out, but I like it all the same :D

Attachments

• Magician, Moon, World.jpg
    Magician, Moon, World.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 358
  • 2 Cups, 4 Swords, 6 Wands.jpg
    2 Cups, 4 Swords, 6 Wands.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 2, 6, 8 Pents.jpg
    2, 6, 8 Pents.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 240
  • the fool.jpg
    the fool.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 239

astronautica

Thanks guys, wow fast response! :D Now that you mention it, I think I remember looking at the scans aaages ago and liking the look of them :)

Starshower

To me, it seems to mix Marseilles-style minors with some vaguely Waite-Smith-like scenic elements, and I find this jarring but interesting.
I can't see anything remotely Thoth-like about it though. Could you show me what you mean, please, astronautica? Or post any examples, please? Thanks. I'm getting fascinated by this strange little deck too!

astronautica

It was just a few of the pentacles that I thought looked a bit Thothy, Starshower. (I've attached a pic with comparisons -the similarities between the vine and the serpent on the 2 of Pents, the Rose Cross in the centre of the Six of Pents and at a stretch, I guess the tree on the 8 of Pents - just my opinion though! :)) I do agree with you though - for the most part it does seem to be a blend of RWS/ Marseilles :) Also - it's super cheap on Amazon if you want to pick up a copy, from 77 cents used!

Attachments

• with thoth.jpg
    with thoth.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 230

Starshower

Thanks very much, astronautica. An interesting cross-blend indeed! Consider me now very tempted ... ;)

Bhavana

I just picked up this same deck at a yard sale for $3. Johnathan Dee just died, recently, I heard. I love the wood-cut look of the art, but hate the ultra cheap cardstock. It's like paper.

Emily

I just picked up this same deck at a yard sale for $3. Johnathan Dee just died, recently, I heard. I love the wood-cut look of the art, but hate the ultra cheap cardstock. It's like paper.

I think this deck got printed on lots of different cardstock. The one I have resembles beermats.

Bhavana

I think this deck got printed on lots of different cardstock. The one I have resembles beermats.

Do you mean bar coasters?

Mine was a Barnes n Noble tarot set - only about $10 originally. I'd love to see this deck with no borders, on a thicker matte cardstock.