A Vargo Gothic Book!

Scion

Thanks HC. I know the book pretty well (I teach it). I wasn't going to get that specific, but the point stands. The only name given the creature is Adam, itself an elaborate Hebrew pun about creation.

I was referring to the tendency of people to misrepresent the creature as Frankenstein rather than his monstrous creator. Which is actually germane to the discussion of the Vargo: I was saying you can condemn a creator and not the creation.

Disa, I'm gonna go take a look at that thread... (with trepidations :()

Scion

Disa said:
This thread, might suggest otherwise :

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=84786&page=3&pp=10&highlight=autumn

I'm not trying to fuel the fire here, just making observations about how this can go.

Disa
Are you referring to the single post by 6 Haunted Days referring to this thread? I don't feel like there's any clamp down or condemnation of Vargo use. No one was lambasting people for using decks they already own. At most you could say she was informing people shopping for decks (who might not otherwise have known) that the Vargo has a seamy history, much the way people might disucss the relative contributions by Waite or Smith. More on the order of interesting trivia into which people could look.

Disa

I won't go on and on, just the impression I got was someone mentioned they had pulled out these decks, among others, to study for the fall season, and the response they got was be careful, there is a boycott afoot. Maybe I misunderstood the context. Again, just an observaton about how things can be taken. I see all sides, honestly :)

Disa

6 Haunted Days

Scion said:
Are you referring to the single post by 6 Haunted Days referring to this thread? I don't feel like there's any clamp down or condemnation of Vargo use. No one was lambasting people for using decks they already own. At most you could say she was informing people shopping for decks (who might not otherwise have known) that the Vargo has a seamy history, much the way people might disucss the relative contributions by Waite or Smith. More on the order of interesting trivia into which people could look.

Yea, that's where I was coming from. I never liked the Gothic (remember I traded my copy to you Scion?), as it I thought and felt it was very poorly thought out as a Tarot. The majority of the cards he used was from art he had already done. Blah. The deck screams "The creator of this deck knows absolutely nothing about tarot!"

And then for him, someone who obviously knows so very little about tarot, to turn around and tell someone who does (Alissa) they know nothing, and then betray and cheat them....well I think people should be aware what kind of person this Vargo is. His products aren't worth my time.

As HC said, the BG is coming out, from 2 wonderful astoundingly creative people who know tons about tarot....and it's going to blow Vargo's Gothic outta the water.

Scion

I do remember. :) I already had a copy, but YOUR copy is now in Canada with The Crowned One. He claimed it in our Trade Train over in games...

Grizabella

HearthCricket said:
Under the circumstances I certainly won't buy the book. I don't need it anyhow. But I don't see how ripping up decks done by other artists who have nothing to really do with this fixes the problem. Am I missing something? Did the artist of the Gothic Vargo take all the credit for the book when it was not theirs? And how does the artist of the Madame Endora factor in? Same person? Or just an innocent bystander, who may be just as upset at the situation? If they have nothing to do with it all, why rip or toss out their deck? That seems equally unfair, IMO.

I'm not going to rip mine up and toss it, but I'm not going to use it and I'm not going to give it away. Why give it away when that would just perpetuate it? I'll keep it buried in my drawers and never use it. I can't bear to rip up and toss out decks-----just can't do it. But I wouldn't ever give it to someone who would use it and "wow" sitters with it, either, because that would advertise it. Maybe I'll go leave it on Joshua's doorstep. :D (from Ciro's thread) Seriously, I don't know what I'll do with it yet, but I won't use it or leave it lying around. Tarot isn't evil but people like the authors of this deck and book certainly are behaving that way.

WolfyJames

I don't plan on stopping and loving my Gothic Tarot and Madame Eudora on my side. I find them well made and beautiful and the Gothic is pretty much the only dark/gothic/romantic tarot that is beautiful and well done so far. Vargo is a talented fellow. It is a sad situation but no one is perfect. If we were to know everything about the intimate life of the artists past and present, we would probably squeak in fear and horror. I don't plan to buy the book though.

Silverlyn

Wow as a fellow writer...I can really sympathize with Alissa:(

I...um....still really like my GT and am enjoying the readings I'm getting from them too. I think I will also just use the LWB, as it is succinct in the meanings and easy to understand.

I hope that her situation gets sorted out somehow and they add her name to future printings of the GT Companion book!

She should look into some uh....legal advise, imho.

Silverlyn

Kibeth

Oh dear. That artist, he is bad!!! Alas for the book I was on my way to purchasing, but I guess I won't be buying it now so much shit happened. I hate people and thieves like that, who steal people's work.

Venus Moon

I've had the Gothic Tarot for years and have always loved it, I bought the book when it came out, and i was very happy to have a book finally to read with the deck. I have no idea about all the problems with it, but I do know there is always 2 sides to every story, in my experience. As I don't know the others side, or even the 'original authors' side as she didn't post anything in here about it, i'll just continue to enjoy my book and my deck!