Ace d'Epées (Swords) - how may it be read?

Parzival

Ace d'Epees

To Helvetica's excellent list might be added the sword which the wounded Grail king gives to Parzival as a gift. Parzival receives the gift in the Grail castle, after the Grail ceremony. First the mystery of the power of the Divine to create sustenance out of nothing, then the sword as protector and guide. In a modern mode of interpretation, we need both the Grail and the sword, the heart-force and mental-force, that which unconditionally creates, that which keenly differentiates.

jmd

I'm not sure if I've posted this here somewhere or if it was only in a paper I wrote in the eighties when I obtained a reproduction of Joyeuse...

It may perhaps be remembered that Excalibur was broken by Arthur in one of his early (first?) battles. and that he then obtained a sword from the hand of the Lady of the Lake.

This, in my view (and not presented by anyone else as far as I'm aware) was literally true: the young Lancelot du Lac had crossed La Manche ('The Sleeve', which the English refer to as the 'English Channel' ;)) with his mother, the Lady du Lac.

The young Lancelot, a newly made and familialy important knight in the service of the King, allowed for his father's important sword to be lent to the King by his mother's hand (an equivalent to a 'dowry' for his knight-hood service and loyalty).

Hence, at Arthur's death, his charge to return the sword to the hand of the Lady du Lac, and thereby also free Lancelot. They then each returned to their earlier French realm.

A mere few centuries later - not long as far as family tradition goes - at the Crowning of Charlemagne, a number of gifts were brought to his court, including the tip of the spear which pierced Christ's side on the cross from Greece, and the blade of a sword from the west that nobody remembers from whence it came - but it doesn't quite fit nor match naturally the handle Charlemagne not only already had, but which its pommel had been altered to fit in the tip of the spear.

I surmise that it is that same sword that was kept in the Du Lac family, and previously handled by Arthur during those famously told, and retold, times. Not Excalibur, but the lent sword that Arthur wielded during most of his kingship.

The offer of the sword by the Hand may therefore also be that this is a covenant - may it bring victories and assist wise rulership, protect and punish... but in the end, it needs to be returned to its giver.

tmgrl2

jmd, what a marvelous retelling of the Sword du Lac!

I have never heard this told....I would, too, like to believe that there is some truth hidden in these stories handed down through generations.

terri

firemaiden

I love the references to swords in literature, Helvetica, jmd. I remember reading most of those! The sword placed between Tristan and Isolde is a very interesting case - the sword of truth and honor - yet reflecting a higher truth and a higher honor than mere earthly fidelity, LOL.

There is also Notung: (Wagner - Ring of the Niebelungs) - the sword Wotan leaves in the tree for Siegmund, which Wotan must later shatter, ( in Die Walküre) and which Siegfried will forge together (in Siegfried)

sound clip - the Naming of Notung

Little Baron

When this card makes a surprise entrance , I think of taking control. Taking control of your thoughts and saying what is on your mind.

- a release of thoughts that might trouble you
- asking for help
- ordering what is in your head; making lists
- cutting through what is not needed and focusing on what is
- breaking through confusion and doubt

I see this card as finding clarity and clearing the mind. Before, I always thought of it to be quite an aggressive card but as I look at it now, tuning and clearing the mind through meditation or yoga is just as appropriate - almost tuning out as much as tuning in to what is important.

The hand offers the sword. I like what Helvetica said about finding resources when you need them and this picture reminds me of someone being passed something when they are on stage; something they have forgotten is thrust from the side of the stage, in the hope that the audience doesn't notice. Here, we are given that sword - courage, an idea that comes just at the right time, the strength to speak up about something you feel strongly about or don't agree with, a time to confess and get things off of your chest.

There is sexuality here as well as the sword penetrates the crown. On it's own though, there is little emotion or stability involved; it feels quite sterile, so maybe the card is based around sexual longing and thoughts of that nature, rather than the actual sexual act, which I feel would be a combination of coins (body), batons (passion and drive) or cups (emotions tying them all together in a realtionship, for example).

LB

Satori

The impulse here to me, may be to thrust, to push upwards, as if to break the surface of the water and take in great lungfuls of air.

Because the sword is penetrating the crown it may be about insertion and penetration. I see what appears to be feathers and the cut branch of a tree, and both may be offering sap or blood, or other kinds of fluids.

It may that a sacrifice was made, with this sword, and a boon is being asked for...so that the offerings are being thrust up to heaven. Where there is sacrifice there is loss, someone or something has lost it's life, a branch, a wing.

I feel the sense of victory tempered by loss here. It may be that there is a trade-off with this card. The sword wielder is making a request, and has shown that she/he is willing to make sacrifices for the outcome...however is the boon being asked for the proper thing to request?

For me this Ace is showing that the querent may have reached a decision about something, may have offered up a prayer, and the presence of this Ace in the reading may indicate that heaven has received the request, and the request May be/is being considered. I think that at this point depending on the surrounding cards, there may be a cautionary statement to follow...be careful what you wish for / pray for. You may indeed receive it.

(My reasoning is that the hand with the sword looks in a way, royal. So that in olden times you made requests of royalty, asked permission, asked for marriage bans etc. And the request could be granted or denied, and payment would sometimes be incurred, right?)

kwaw

To Whom He Wills

Cui Vult - To Whom He Wishes

CuiVult.jpg

Emblem 22 from Emblemata moralia & bellica (Military and Moral Emblems) by Iacobi â Bruck, 1615.

Moonbow

Beautiful Kwaw, we can see the connection To Tarot with this etching. Its lovely to see it and mull over its meaning.

kwaw

I think it is basically saying we do what we can, according to our own merits -- but all our firepower and force of arms is insufficient unless it be conjoined with the will of God -- victory/success is ultimately down to the providence of God.

Viribus fumanis equidem pugnatur, et armis:
sed sine divina nil ope juncta valent.
Felix nimirum a Domino Victoria pendet.
Hanc merito belli Dux, reverenter sabe.

google translation:

For our part, with all our power the battle is fought, smoking, and by force of arms:
but nothing without God's help can join.
Victory depends upon the blessing of the Lord.
Of the merits of this the chief in war, is wise to give deference.

(For example, by the providence/wishes/will of God -- David was able to succeed against the odds, with merely a stone and sling against Goliath.)