Ace of Swords

satine

I see it also (potentially) as a difficult experience that you have to go through and that will make you a more enlightened, stronger person in the end. Some hard truth may come to light, but at least you find out about it so that you can DO something about it (rather than remaining in the dark). Just one of many "takes" on this card...

afrosaxon

In the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot, the Ace of Swords is called 1 Rada -- Damballah Wedo

http://alpha.mxat.ru/WWPCM/decks05/d02446/d02446sA.jpg

Damballah Wedo, the Supreme Snake God, lays in repose on a tree. He drops eggs to the ground and waits to see if they hatch...or not; then he'll take action based on the results. This card is a lesser aspect of The Hanged Man.

I see this card as the idea of a thing: when you have a brainstorm and think of the different ways in which you can bring the idea of fruition (the eggs). Then, when you try each of these ways, the one(s) that bear fruit will determine which way to jump/how to (re)act.

Just my $.02.

T.

WalesWoman

I have a hard time sometimes with this card... my first thoughts are... well First Thoughts :D New ideas, seeing a new truth, a new attitude and usually my mental image is of the Druidcraft Ace Sword... the Lady of the Lake's arm upthrust, bringing Excaliber to light... in the first light of dawn. A new day is dawning, fresh energy.

Starling

It is an Ace. Aces are the positive side of their suit and the suit's element. They are Gifts and Victories.

I noticed a lot of negatives on this thread. And it is easy to see negatives with Swords because a lot of the Sword pips look pretty negative. But there is a positive side to every one of them, if only in the lessons they teach.

So what are the positives that belong to the Sword suit?

WalesWoman

Fresh, bright, clean, light, energy... I think of spirit and life force, truth, honesty, justice, clarity & sharpness of mind, wit, & wisdom. The rising sun, the East.

I think of nerves, our nervous system is charged... as if we were our own generators, an organic machine beyond anything we can truly compute. :D So electric, cutting edge technology, dynamic, communications, writing, legalities, speed, intellect, epiphanies and other great ideas, inventiveness, originality.

Starling

WalesWoman I like your style.

qtasian

To me the single sword is used to allow energy flow from our focus of the mind into a single point to defend or attack, using words! the clearer the mind is the more precise, and skillful ur point of view will be!

poopsie

In my case, the ace of swords would often signify the beginning of something -- the beginning of action on a project or a goal ... it also meant energy for me, as well as the need to put on my thinking cap and use my logic in starting things. Whenever it shows up after I have gone through difficult times, I view it as the potential start of a new chapter or cycle in my life. I hope this helps.

nisaba

If you are using the system where Swords corresponds with Air, then as Air corresponds with thought, and Aces are a starting-point, it indicates teh kernel of great intellect, and intelligence that can be used to "cut" through anything.

Sagefire

Had some ideas kicking around that I wanted to share. :) Bear with me...

Is it just me or this ace very much a decision based? Not so much as if you are sitting between two forks and contemplating which way to go but more like there are two versions of you and each of you makes the corresponding call. I keep thinking of a certain scene in Fellowship of the Ring when I think of this card. When Frodo visits Galadriel and she invites him to her mirror and shows him a vision of the future. She says to him, "Your quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all." There were two realities balancing there but it was not so much like Frodo had a decision to make, the proper course was obvious. Implying that the straightforward route is often the most difficult. In the end, it requires much mental fortitude to accomplish even a task where your goal is clear and laid before you.

I think a great keyword for this Ace is keen. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/keen The word is finely sharpened, it walks the edge of a knife but it also means interested and eager. Very much fitting for this card. :heart:

So my final thoughts on the card right now if it appears to me are that there are multiple futures before you, but the true path is pretty obvious. It might be difficult and tax your mental faculties to realize this goal or future but in the end you will be rewarded. Or something like that...thanks for listening!! :D