aggressive dog

BrightEye

I’m staying overnight in someone’s house. I think it’s a friend, but I can’t remember who and don’t recognize the house. I sleep alone in a room on a mattress on the floor. The door is slightly ajar, and sometime in the night the family dog, a boxer or something like that, comes in and starts to attack me. I’m frightened and can’t fend him off. I end up badly injured, especially on my arms, near my wrists.

I don’t know what happens then. It could be that I’m ‘allowed’ to relive the scene and take the necessary precautions. It could also just be the next scene in which the dog has temporarily left the room. In any case, I want to leave to protect myself from (further) attack. I hurriedly gather my clothes together. I think I can’t find my shoes and some other items of clothing. I’m thinking of taking my books. One of them is the Pilgrim’s Progress by Bunyan, which I read after studying C. G. Jung’s Man and his Symbols, where the spiral map of the pilgrim’s journey is read as a metaphor for the journey to the interior of the soul. But then I discard the book, either for a different one or none at all.

I’m reading Jung’s book on dreams at the moment and I’m very taken by the recent publication of The Red Book. The pilgrim’s journey is a version of ‘modern man in search of his soul’. Maybe I’m in search of that, too. But then why did I discard the book? I’m not sure what to make of the dog. I can’t think of anything in waking life that I find life threatening. any thoughts?

Fostha

Well they do say that "dog is mans best friend",so id look closely at your circle of friends,maybe one of them really dont have you best interest at heart,and if you were to come under some sort of attack,they'll abandon you.Id look closely at any friends that have asked you to do them favours maybe,something that may have seen harmless fun at first,but has now took a turn for the worst.On the other hand,maybe you wanted to throw the book at the dog,and subconsciously,you just know you cant.I think its just telling you that someone you thought was a friend,has misled you...badly,and for all the wrong reasons. Hope that makes sense.I've often found that dreams of animals can also lead to extremely positive things too,and i speak from experience,so i wouldnt worry too much,just choose your friends wisely.

BrightEye

That's an interesting thought, Fostah, thank you. The weird thing was that I didn't know who the people were, so they didn't resemble any friends I have in real life. I don't have many at all, by the way. What I do feel sometimes though, and it's making me cross, is that I'm either being taken for granted or that I'm the one who has to do all the running.

Fostha

You said you think its a friend,but you dont know who,just an idea,start with your best mate,and work your way out from there,wont take long if you havent got many friends.Good thing is,you CAN choose your friends,unfortunately the same cant be said for family.If your being taken for granted,then take positive action,to make sure people know this behaviour is a pet-hate of yours,and just wont be tolerated. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Milfoil

BrightEye said:
I’m staying overnight in someone’s house. I think it’s a friend, but I can’t remember who and don’t recognize the house. I sleep alone in a room on a mattress on the floor. The door is slightly ajar, and sometime in the night the family dog, a boxer or something like that, comes in and starts to attack me. I’m frightened and can’t fend him off. I end up badly injured, especially on my arms, near my wrists.

Staying with a friend suggests feelings of being in a transitory place, not at home with oneself and needing the shelter of someone else or reliance upon something other than ones own resources. Even here, you are alone in poor conditions. An instinctive behaviour (the dog) is attacking you but can't stop it and end up with injuries. Arms and wrists suggest defensive injuries rather than actually aggressive fighting back. The whole scene suggests a feeling of being vulnerable, not in control and unable to rely upon others right now. Not feeling in one's own power.

BrightEye said:
I don’t know what happens then. It could be that I’m ‘allowed’ to relive the scene and take the necessary precautions. It could also just be the next scene in which the dog has temporarily left the room. In any case, I want to leave to protect myself from (further) attack. I hurriedly gather my clothes together. I think I can’t find my shoes and some other items of clothing. I’m thinking of taking my books. One of them is the Pilgrim’s Progress by Bunyan, which I read after studying C. G. Jung’s Man and his Symbols, where the spiral map of the pilgrim’s journey is read as a metaphor for the journey to the interior of the soul. But then I discard the book, either for a different one or none at all.

Unable to find shoes and clothes again suggests a feeling of vulnerability and that the first steps upon a new path may be painful. The books suggest archived knowledge which you take with you. Pilgrim's progress - are you being asked to set out on a life path to find your true self?

A synopsis excerpt from the net:

Pilgrim's Progress catalogs the journey of Christian, a man who is seeking his salvation on a pilgrimage to Heaven. Along the way, Christian encounters many obstacles that test his faith as well as many characters that are useful in showing him the difference between right and wrong, from the perspective of Christian religious faith. After Christian attains his heavenly reward, his family completes a pilgrimage to join him. Told as a dream, this seventeenth century religious classic uses Bible verses mixed with allegorical characters to preach its evangelist message.

Christian sets out on a journey to save his soul. He leaves behind his friends and family in the City of Destruction and follows the advice of his spiritual guide, Evangelist, in order to reach the Celestial City. His first obstacle is the Slough of Despair,

Perhaps your faith will be tested in many ways, loneliness, despair etc which are actually valuable lessons to show you your own strength?

Jungs symbol of the spiral - is just another visual form of the pilgrim's progress, each cycle touches on elements of the previous yet is slightly different.

celticnoodle

to dream of a vicious dog can indicate some inner conflicts that you are having. it can also indicate betrayal and untrustworthiness. do you find yourself unnecessarily 'barking' at people yourself or situations around you, it may be time to try and change this.

a vicious dog can also indicate friends who are not truly your friends. so take a good look at whom you call 'friend' and make sure they are really just that!

to have a dog bite you suggests you have lost the ability to maintain balance in certain aspects of your life. are you perhaps hesitant in a new situation that has come to you? a new opportunity available to you that perhaps you are fearful of moving forward with?

also a mean dog can imply that your friends are not so loyal to you. they are verbally abusive to you either behind your back or face to face.

IMO--it seems as if you need to find some balance in your life and also to feel at ease--by possibly cutting ties with people or situations in your life right now that are not healthy for you or that have you feeling out of sorts.

TarotGirlUK

BrightEye said:

I’m reading Jung’s book on dreams at the moment and I’m very taken by the recent publication of The Red Book. The pilgrim’s journey is a version of ‘modern man in search of his soul’. Maybe I’m in search of that, too. But then why did I discard the book? I’m not sure what to make of the dog. I can’t think of anything in waking life that I find life threatening. any thoughts?

There seems to be a surge of dreams at the moment, perhaps its the full moon, the equinox and the lack of light having an affect on us at the moment (I 've been having funny dreams too).

There seems to be a common theme of personal attack in all of them and is likely to be frustration, stress, or conflict going on in our waking life.

Take time out, try to stop assessing everything for a while and take time to paper yourself instead :) you deserve it.

Perhaps reading the interesting but 'heavy' Jung might be a bit much to process!

BrightEye

Thanks, you three! The most immediate stress factor in my life at the moment is work. I feel I'm not on top of things. I think the stress was brought on by the recent death of a family member. I've already taken time off work, so I don't want to do it again in the near future if I can help it.

I also feel that the ones I used to trust are not as loyal or caring as I thought they were. I actually thought a number of times that no one really gives a sh*t. Even my best friend has been incommunicado for weeks and does not respond to emails and text messages. Maybe that's just my needy and controlling side coming out, but it has given me food for thought.

I think the general near-crisis in my immediate waking life is a wake-up call to go in search of my true self, as Milfoil suggests.

Milfoil

Everything for a reason, your best friend may be incommunicado right now because your soul needs the alone time!

Stick with it, try not to worry, you will come out of this stronger than you ever could have imagined.

Fostha

Milfoil said:
Everything for a reason, your best friend may be incommunicado right now because your soul needs the alone time!

Stick with it, try not to worry, you will come out of this stronger than you ever could have imagined.
Id agree 110% with this.I had numerous dreams of an animal(not a vicious one though) for a number of years,and after having some "alone time",and not communicating with people through choice(for all the right reasons in my case)im now stronger than i have been in years.Its only after you've had what they call you're "dark night of the soul",that you see things in a whole new way,in my case,i can clearly see,and know just what that animal's presence in my dreams was really all about.Everything really does happen for a reason.If your reading up on Jung,then maybe you know synchronicity's another important factor to look out for in your day to day life,once you notice that,and pay special attention to it,you'll be suprised at just how much you can learn,about anything thats of real interest to you.