Ancient Minchiate Etruria: Hope

firecatpickles

We are all here to learn. Thank you for pointing out the placement of divine love --I was wondering where it had gone!

The fact that the character wears blue fits very well now. I had not thought about the costly color blue (made from wolfsbain, I believe). It is also the color a transformation, as it comes out of the wash colorless and oxygenates very rapidly into blue.

I am beginning to "get" why these virtues were combined into one card. They can do very little without the aid of one another, and they are difficult to interpret without comparing each to the other.

Here is the entire verse, Revised Standard.

KK

firecatpickles

Sophie-David said:
But I did not intend to imply that the St. Paul archetype was also reflected in Faith...
Someone does: See scan!

Attachments

• XVIII. La Fede.JPG
    XVIII. La Fede.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 121

Sophie-David

Hmm, this Faith could be Pope or Papess. Do you think this figure is male or female?

firecatpickles

This one is definitely a monk! The LWB (blue, actually) calls what he is holding a "monstrous." What the hell is a monstrous?

Sophie-David

Perhaps just make it a link rather than a picture. Its handy for others to see what we were talking about, and a link would do so more efficiently - although not so reliably. I don't know what a "monstrous" is, could it be a problem in translation?

And I am trying to figure out what flower he is holding up. It could be a white rose, but they are usually depicted with five petals.

Its too bad we didn't start a new thread for this discussion of Faith in the Minchiate!

firecatpickles

You know what? It is a monstrance --the vessel for holding the Host.

I think you are right that it is representative of the Pope, at least in this edition.

Here is the new link for Minchiate - Faith.