Another Round of "Would You Rather" :-)

G6

Would you rather purchase a sealed OOP deck or an unsealed one to know for certain all the cards are there and the condition of printing?

Opinions, please...:)

mah jong

If I trusted that I could get my money back if not all the cards were there, I'd take the sealed deck. While I am not squeamish about used decks, I do prefer a clean deck and be the one to break it in.

Le Fanu

Unsealed. No contest. There's enough shrink wrap in the world to have to remove as it is.

I don't have that "oooh...sealed. Must be sealed so as to be more valuable."

Plus if a deck has been sealed for a couple of decades there's always that feeling of anguish that you're somehow deflowering it. I'd rather be spared this feeling and just have it in my hand ready to use.

swedishfish612

It wouldn't matter to me either way, really. If it's one of those decks that we know have had printing issues, I'd prefer they were checked first, though.

littlethings

Unsealed. I'm just going to open it anyway :) Plus, I've had a few sealed decks that had cards missing, so it's nice to know they're all there.

bonebeach

Oooh, used but complete ANY day. Totally with Le Fanu on this--something rare and mint is just going to make me kind of nervous anyway.

RiverRunsDeep

Plus if a deck has been sealed for a couple of decades there's always that feeling of anguish that you're somehow deflowering it..

This is so funny! I feel no such anguish. I am simply helping these
virginal cards to blossom into the decks they were meant to be. :laugh: :laugh:

Sealed or unsealed, it's all the same to me. I'm going to open it, and
make sure all the cards are there.

Grizabella

I can't imagine not opening and not using a shrink-wrapped deck. I use all of mine and they're my tools to use. I don't have the money to sIpend on a really expensive rare deck, but if I did, my point in buying it would be that I want to use it. I'm not a collector. :)

G6

If it's OOP I think I'd prefer an open box situation. Practically new, but someone else unwrapped them to make sure all 78 were properly included.

Zephyros

As little packaging as possible should be the rule. Most things are so overly packaged these days that it becomes jarring, every new package you open always has mountains of plastic beside it at the end. Suppose you order a package, you have the shipping carton, a layer of bubble wrap, another envelope sometimes with an additional layer of bubble wrap, the deck's box, cellophane, sometimes "special" things that may or may not themselves end up in the trash ("special edition" fold-out, horribly bulky boxes sometimes) and finally... the deck you ordered. Plus, some packaging materials are mixed, as in bubble wrap or aluminum foil stuck to cardboard or paper envelopes, so they can't be recycled!

So much packaging for something so small. Although I don't see an alternative, it still breaks my heart. Reminds me of the grocery store across the street where, no matter what I buy, they automatically put it in a plastic bag. I usually tell them I don't need one, especially if I'm just crossing the street to get a carton of milk I can very well carry in my hand (gasp! actually touch a carton of milk!). Still, next time I go there, same story all over.