Approaches to the Elder Futhark

einhverfr

I am curious to know how people here who are interested in Runes determine what the staves of the Elder Futhark mean. What do you use as sources?

Also, are Runes just a simple tool? Or are they something that is a big part of your spiritual life? If the latter, how?

Rede Seeker

Start with Thorsson then add experience

I started with Edred's trilogy (Rune Lore-Futhark-At the Well of Wyrd). As I continued to rede the Runes, they became more 'flavorful'. It's difficult to describe.

Runes are an integral part of my Spiritual practice. The 'how' of it stays with me. It's not something to be shared with people I do not know well.

einhverfr

My first book was "A Practical Guide to the Runes" by Lisa Peschel.

The book seems quite new-age, but I think Peschel is more knowledgeable about the tradition than she let on. Some of her ideas actually made it into my book though in a more traditional setting.

From there I started reading Thorsson.

Then I started reading the myths and sagas.

Then I joined the Rune-Gild.

However, the most important influences have been Thorsson (both through his books and personal contacts) and also the arguments I have had with many who have disagreed with me over the ages (Thorsson also falls into this category). In some cases, I have concluded that they were right and in other cases, have been able to prove my earlier points of view to be correct.

Milfoil

einhverfr said:
I am curious to know how people here who are interested in Runes determine what the staves of the Elder Futhark mean. What do you use as sources?

Also, are Runes just a simple tool? Or are they something that is a big part of your spiritual life? If the latter, how?

At first I went by the 'online' or book definitions of the runes but as I used them and their meanings impacted upon my life, the runes start to take on their own, deeper, more subtle meanings in my life.

I made my own rune set, not from wood but from beach pebbles. Its what felt right.

I haven't studies the eddas or language but have some small understanding of the mythology behind the runes.

cardlady22

I was looking for info on gemstone divination when I stumbled across mentions of runes on this page
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/divination.htm

Next I did some online searches and found out that those were Blum's, but there were many other authors and traditions.
http://sunnyway.com/runes/ was my favorite site!

I read through reviews on Amazon and ended up buying these books to try for a wide introduction:
~ Runelore by Edred Thorsson
~ A Practical Guide to the Runes by Lisa Peschel
~ The Little Giant Encyclopedia of Runes by Sirona Knight
~ Power of the Runes kit by Donald Tyson

I bought 2 sets of runes from Tara Hill Designs and consecrated/painted them myself.
~ Anglo-Saxon in apple; color Red
~ Elder Futhark in birch; color Green

Next, I got the texts for the (older) Rune School free course.
~ The Elements of the Runes by Bernard King
~ Principles of Runes by Freya Aswynn

I'm pretty sure that I had Freya's Northern Mysteries and Magick at one time.

As mis-mashed as my introduction has been, I have never been inclined to ask silly questions with my Runes. I had a dream which is pretty personal, but basically I was told that I wasn't ready to be taught until I was willing to do something. So far, I have not found that willingness, but I am always feeling drawn.

einhverfr

I actually don't think Cardlady's introduction to Runes has been all that mish-mash. For the most part, the selection of books have been pretty good there.

Milfoil: Do you know the Rune-Poems at all?

Milfoil

einhverfr said:
Milfoil: Do you know the Rune-Poems at all?

Actually I didn't, I've just gone to look. I thought when people referred to rune poems, they meant the sagas and eddas.

Interesting how the meanings change with the migration to different cultures.

I looked here:

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/rune_poems.html

einhverfr

Milfoil:

Also note that two of those are about the Younger Futhark and one is about the Anglo-Frisian Futhorc. So the linguistic and cultural changes may have some impact.

Also I don't think the Aurochs was ever found in Iceland or Norway......