Argentina Marsella tarot by Joker (Grimaud-type)

Laura Borealis

I'm wondering if anyone has this and could comment on the cardstock and general quality. It's on eBay here. Since eBay links disappear after awhile, here's the description, and also I'm attaching the photo.

MARSELLA TAROT MARSEILLE CARDS BY JOKER CO. Argentina

YOU ARE BIDDING FOR A MARSELLA TAROT (TAROT MARSELLES- MARSEILLE TAROT, TAROT MARSELHA) DECK OF CARDS (78), MADE IN ARGENTINA BY JOKER COMPANY, CARDS ARE NEW,UNUSED AND SEALED ( THE PICTURED ITEM SHOWS AN OPEN BOX).
It's not the deck in this thread although I believe the seller is the same. But I think it probably IS the deck talked about in this old thread here from like six years ago. If so, jackdaw says the cardstock is pretty good quality, and jmd attached scans. Also, I found it on Joker's website here though you can't tell much by the wee picture.

Does anyone have this?

Laura Borealis

Oops!

Forgot the attachment, here it is.

Attachments

• argentina_marsella.jpg
    argentina_marsella.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 374

fyreflye

To me this looks like the standard Grimaud Marseille. I've noticed these Argentine Marsellas on eBay often, but I've never seen a reason to pay the shipping costs from Argentina when there are many similar decks available locally. I too would like to hear from someone who's actually bought one.

Laura Borealis

It looks like a standard Grimaud to me too (though without the copyright). And the shipping is one reason I haven't just gone ahead and nabbed one of these. Plus there are other decks I'd rather spend my very small budget on at this point.

I don't have a local source for any Marseilles deck -- maybe if I went to Atlanta, but that's a long drive. The only local bookstores that carry tarot decks are Barnes and Noble and Books-A-Million. I've called/looked at the locally-owned bookstores and wow! the dirty looks I've gotten for even asking if they carry tarot. It's like I asked "do you prefer a Carolina-style bbq sauce on your grilled baby, or smokehouse?" :p

Le Fanu

Do you think it is the Argentinian version of that Brazilian "Grimaud" that you linked the other day?

fyreflye

laura_borealis said:
It looks like a standard Grimaud to me too (though without the copyright). And the shipping is one reason I haven't just gone ahead and nabbed one of these. Plus there are other decks I'd rather spend my very small budget on at this point.

I don't have a local source for any Marseilles deck -- maybe if I went to Atlanta, but that's a long drive. The only local bookstores that carry tarot decks are Barnes and Noble and Books-A-Million. I've called/looked at the locally-owned bookstores and wow! the dirty looks I've gotten for even asking if they carry tarot. It's like I asked "do you prefer a Carolina-style bbq sauce on your grilled baby, or smokehouse?" :p

The Grimaud deck is currently sold under the name Ancien Tarot de Marseille. You should be able to find it online, though I don't know where at the moment. Le Valet d'Coeur, where I've bought most of mine, apparently no longer carries anything but playing decks and Tarot Garden seems to be sold out of all the foreign manufactured Marseilles. Maybe someone here can suggest a source but if not try asking for help in the Marseille Forum on this site.

Laura Borealis

Le Fanu said:
Do you think it is the Argentinian version of that Brazilian "Grimaud" that you linked the other day?

I'd hoped so at first, but no. It has the conventional borders at the tops of the trumps, like the standard Grimaud. The Brazilian one didn't. Le sigh! There is something about that Brazilian one that I really like, for some reason.

fyreflye said:
The Grimaud deck is currently sold under the name Ancien Tarot de Marseille. You should be able to find it online, though I don't know where at the moment. Le Valet d'Coeur, where I've bought most of mine, apparently no longer carries anything but playing decks and Tarot Garden seems to be sold out of all the foreign manufactured Marseilles. Maybe someone here can suggest a source but if not try asking for help in the Marseille Forum on this site.

Ah! I didn't know it was under that name. At first I thought that was a typo for "Ancient Tarot..." which is a Conver facsimile. But searching under "Ancien Tarot de Marseille," I see the deck on a site called Tarobearslair... have never ordered from there. It's not really much cheaper. But there is a mini. Hmm... bookmarked, anyway! Thanks fyreflye :)

Le Fanu

laura_borealis said:
I'd hoped so at first, but no. It has the conventional borders at the tops of the trumps, like the standard Grimaud. The Brazilian one didn't. Le sigh! There is something about that Brazilian one that I really like, for some reason.
There was something comfortingly scuffed about it...

emmsma

laura_borealis said:

Ah! I didn't know it was under that name. At first I thought that was a typo for "Ancient Tarot..." which is a Conver facsimile. But searching under "Ancien Tarot de Marseille," I see the deck on a site called Tarobearslair... have never ordered from there. It's not really much cheaper. But there is a mini. Hmm... bookmarked, anyway! Thanks fyreflye :)

I've ordered from tarotbearslair many times. Great customer service. You will get your deck fast, too.

As far as the deck, I believe I have this at home. I'll be able to tell you about cardstock and such in about 3 1/2 hours.

Laura Borealis

Le Fanu said:
There was something comfortingly scuffed about it...
Like what I tried to do to a RWS with sandpaper (but failed) :laugh: