Astral vs Ethereal Projection

Always Wondering

I was listening to Speech in the Silence #8 where Dr. Shoemaker was speaking on astral projection. He mentioned the difference between the astral vs etheric planes and I found this information very helpful in understanding what the astral plane is not. There is also some good references for Astral Projection.
http://speechinthesilence.com/

My question is what the heck is the Etheric Body/Plane and what would be the point/result of projecting onto it? The only thing I got from Shoemaker was that it was good practice for projecting onto the astral plane. Any insights? Or does Crowley write about this anywhere?

AW

Professor X

The astral body is the real you,the physical is only the shell that encases it during your incarnation. The etheric energies are just there for you to use on the astral. Once you die the physical body is left lifeless while your astral body lives on in the astral plane. The point of astral projection is to gain access to the astral plane while still incarnated here on earth.
The physical body is the 3rd dimension the astral is the 4th dimension.

This is desired for a number of reasons some of which are:

1. Once you project out of your body you are free to go where ever you choose because you are no longer limited by the confines of a physical body.

2. You can gain access to information about your life and path and all types of knowledge that you cant while still being stuck in your body.

3.There is a astral library that exists on Focus Level 27 where you find out information about anything that has happenned on Earth. Any event that has ever happenned on Earth is recorded in this library. Previous Astral journeyers have labled each astral level by number from number 1 to something like number 35 . These levels are differences in vibration and frequency with 1 being the lower astral and level 35 being the gateway to the 5th dimension.
The library is on level 27.
You can read the works of Robert Monroe to find out more about this.

4. By accessing the astral you can indeed see there is no such thing as death because the spirit is IMMORTAL and cannot ever die. The body dies but that is just the physical,your spirit will live on and you will experience even more on the astral.

Basically astral traveling is stepping up your spiritual studies and learning tremedously,there is no limit to what you can do once you can learn how to leave your body at will. If you want I can give you some basic books you can read to familiarize yourself with this subject. I hope this answers your question. Basically there is just the astral plane of existence with the etheric energies being there for you to direct. But you dont even have to be on the astral to use the etheric energies,you can do so from your physical body as well.

Crowley mentions this subject a lot in Book 4 .

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
My question is what the heck is the Etheric Body/Plane and what would be the point/result of projecting onto it? The only thing I got from Shoemaker was that it was good practice for projecting onto the astral plane. Any insights? Or does Crowley write about this anywhere?
Before I answer, here's a brief quote (caveat) from Liber O.
2. In this book it is spoken of the Sephiroth and the Paths; of Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes, and many other things which may or may not exist.

It is immaterial whether these exist or not. By doing certain things certain results will follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophic validity to any of them.
One way to think of the etheric plane is like an energy matrix that over-lays physical objects. In this respect it closely resembles the physical plane, but it is more like an energy template of the physical. I guess you could describe as one very small step away from complete physical existence. Most OBE experiences are of this "near physical" variety.

What would be the point of projecting onto the etheric. I suppose the simplest answer is that it is good practice at "getting out". It's just not very far. :laugh: But a even a small step is still a step.

Does Crowley write about it anywhere? Yes, very briefly in Liber O.
2. Let him imagine his own figure (preferably robed in the proper magical garments and armed with the proper magical weapons) as enveloping his physical body, or standing near to and in front of him.

3. Let him then transfer the seat of his consciousness to that imagined figure; so that it may seem to him that he is seeing with its eyes, and hearing with its ears.

This will usually be the great difficulty of the operation.

4. Let him then cause that imagined figure to rise in the air to a great height above the earth.
Up to point 3 it is an etheric projection practice. Step 4 becomes an astral practice proper.
You can find an example of Crowley's experiments with etheric projection somewhere in the Confessions. While he was in Mexico in 1900 he conducted a series of experiments where he "travelled" to Hong Kong to visit Soror Fidelis (Elaine Simpson) once a week.

I'm not even going to attempt to comment on Professor X's rather strange post. :confused: But I will say that the astral body is not the real you. It is merely another shell that is cast off after death. You sound like you trying to cling to notions of post mortem surviving personality. Ashes to ashes..... dust to dust....

According to certain occult "theories" the recently deceased continue to exist for a while on the etheric plane. They linger near people or places they knew during life. But just as the physical body decayed, so does the etheric body. At this point the self experiences life on the astral. But the astral, just like the other layers of self, is eventually cast off. The husk of astral personality is what spirit mediums contact and think they talking to dead people. Well the lights are on, but nobody is home. :laugh: This disolution process continues until the impersonal core at the centre of being (Hadit) is once more re-absorbed back into the undiferentiated No-Thing (Nuit).
You may find it useful to reflect on the path of initiation where the Exempt Adept attempts to cross the Abyss. The successful Master is one who has poured their personal self into the Cup of Babalon (universal life). Those who cling to I remain in the Abyss as Black Brothers (or sisters ;)).
II:44.Aye! feast! rejoice! there is no dread hereafter. There is the dissolution, and eternal ecstasy in the kisses of Nu.
45. There is death for the dogs.

Always Wondering

ProfessorX said:
If you want I can give you some basic books you can read to familiarize yourself with this subject.

It's very kind of you to offer, but I have Book Four and will check it out. I was once widely read on the subject. Maybe a bit to widely. ;) Especially on some other magic forums around on the web. :laugh:
This is why I am asking for Crowley specific work. Dr. Shoemaker cleared up a lot of old ideas and confusions for me. I suspected I had never projected astrally but didn't know exactly what I was doing. Or why, really. So I gave it up even though I enjoyed it very much.

Aeon418 said:
Before I answer, here's a brief quote (caveat) from Liber O.

The Liber O intro is what kept me reading Crowley in the beginning, as I will never again trust anyone that leads into this matter lightly. It is good to know his cautions apply to the etheric plane as well.

Aeon418 said:
One way to think of the etheric plane is like an energy matrix that over-lays physical objects. In this respect it closely resembles the physical plane, but it is more like an energy template of the physical. I guess you could describe as one very small step away from complete physical existence. Most OBE experiences are of this "near physical" variety.

This is helpful. Sometimes I think I get to this state involuntarily, I find it reassuring that it is "near physical".

Aeon418 said:
What would be the point of projecting onto the etheric. I suppose the simplest answer is that it is good practice at "getting out". It's just not very far. But a even a small step is still a step.
Oh good. I think I will start practicing again.

Aeon418 said:
Up to point 3 it is an etheric projection practice. Step 4 becomes an astral practice proper.

I guess it would be pretty hard to mistakenly get to step four, or to be there and not know it. Dr. Shoemaker says the astral plane will feel completely foreign.

Aeon418 said:
According to certain occult "theories" the recently deceased continue to exist for a while on the etheric plane. They linger near people or places they knew during life. But just as the physical body decayed, so does the etheric body. At this point the self experiences life on the astral. But the astral, just like the other layers of self, is eventually cast off. The husk of astral personality is what spirit mediums contact and think they talking to dead people. Well the lights are on, but nobody is home. This dissolution process continues until the impersonal core at the centre of being (Hadit) is once more re-absorbed back into the undiferentiated No-Thing (Nuit).

This is very interesting. I've often wondered how a medium could pick up on a personality or name if there is dissolution and eternal ecstasy in the kisses of Nu.
It also explains the very lousy and potentially hurtful reading my sister received, even if the name was right. ;)

Thank you both.

AW

Professor X

Aeon418 said:
I'm not even going to attempt to comment on Professor X's rather strange post. :confused: But I will say that the astral body is not the real you. It is merely another shell that is cast off after death. You sound like you trying to cling to notions of post mortem surviving personality. Ashes to ashes..... dust to dust....

Perhaps I should have explained myself better. I know that the astral body will eventually be shed once you reach a certain level of development. But until then it is what the spirit uses on the astral much like it uses the physical to communicate on the physical. The spirit is INDEED the real you,everything you experienced while incarnated does indeed remain with you although the physical body and human personality you had is indeed no more. Your experiences do indeed remain with you because that is what causes your spritiual growth throughout your incarnations. Your experiences here are the whole point of you incarnating here. The astral body is closer to being what the real you is,once you are free of the physical and thus you are free to explore the astral on whatever level you desire to. The goal of incarnations on earth is for your Higher Self to grow and learn from.

Also contrary to popular belief the astral has already been explored and documented. Read the works of Robert Monroe,who by the way was a trialblazer in the field of Out of Body projections. He founded a instiute called the Monroe Institute which specialized in exploring the astral. During their explorations they discovered that a astral library and healing center exists that is a repository of all human experiences here on planet earth. It exists to help all the higher selves who have had human experiences recover and prepare for what is next in their developement. Monroe took astral research well beyond anything that Crowley ever knew or wrote before his death. Most people dont even know that a astral library exists that they can access after death or through conciously leaving their body and astrally travelling there.

Not only that but another series of books came out in 2001 that took astral exploration and travel to a whole knew level which went past anything that Robert Monroe knew.

214red

Your astral and etheral bodies are subtle bodies, they are the energetic doubles of us. Each body has its own chakra points, and have different properties. Most people use the astral body as its the middle body, and its easier to use, however you can use any of the bodies to travel.

info i have to hand:
1-3 Physical-ness
4 Part Physical, part spiritual (this is the most mobile but it means its more dense then a purely spiritual energy)
5-7 Purely spiritual

7 The Causal Body
6 The Spiritual (celestial) body
5 The Etheric body
4 The Astral Body
3 The Mental body
2 The Emotional Body
1 The Physical Body

These are all layers of your aura

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
You may find it useful to reflect on the path of initiation where the Exempt Adept attempts to cross the Abyss. The successful Master is one who has poured their personal self into the Cup of Babalon (universal life). Those who cling to I remain in the Abyss as Black Brothers (or sisters ;)).

I have been thinking about this. The "I" is how I got into trouble with this stuff in the first place. So I suppose if I take me with me anywhere I might get into trouble again. I suppose my time and energy would be better spent focusing on Union.

Besides, I read Confessions. I often feel inadequate after reading him. Do you suppose he was exaggerating or pulling my leg, even a little? Nobody has ever spotted me skipping down the etheric path. :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Do you suppose he was exaggerating or pulling my leg, even a little?
Probably, but you never can tell with AC. ;)

Always Wondering

At any rate he had a fine imagination and a lust for life I could only hope to equal. Confessions was surprisingly inspiring.

AW

ravenest

Since, as Aeon correctly pointed out above, the etheric is an energy pattern where the subtle forces of (or behind?) the physical body are meanifest, one can assume that a change in that pattern can bring about change in the physical, then one one use or reason to 'travel' in the 'etheric' is to work on someones etheric energy pattern. Eg. a friend I had with a genitic disease had an 'etherically' visible irregularity in their etheric DNA pattern. It could be seen on the 'astral' but perhaps, to manipultae it (which I would not and will not do) that sequence back to its normality may reqire a similar energy field, ie. another etheric force.

I see the etheric body as a typye of pattern 'given off' by matter, similar to a Kirlian potograph. The astral is something entirely different again and is a product of the IMAGINATION. [Read that Liber O carefully!] Not to 'diss' the astral by that term, as some say the most powerfull force we have at our disposal is the imagination.

The Imagination dies, the astral dies ... it all dies .... except that rarified 'field' Crowley refers to in the individual as 'The Immortal Osiris'.