Astro Gold for iPhone/iPod?

cardlady22

Forgive me if this is the wrong place, but I didn't think it should go under the "tarot" books & media. Does anyone else have/use this app from the developers of Solar Fire? Are there any quirks I should know about?
http://www.esotech.com.au/faq/astro_faq.html
**the email given on this page came back with a Failure notice

ETA: under the Aspect Settings, it gives these options
Huber psychological?
Medieval
Moiety half of an orb?
Standard
Synastry
Synwide
Tight

I need to find what they mean.

dadsnook2000

Aspect settings

The options are merely typical "orbs" of influence use with aspects -- each option relates to the orbs that are used by each of those commonly used methodologies. If you are not experienced enough in Astrology to know what they mean, just choose and use "standard."
Dave

Minderwiz

I use Solar Fire, which is probably the leading Astrology program (in terms of users). It's been going long enough for any real issues to have been sorted out Assuming the cut down version is well ported to the new platform, I think you'll be reasonably safe. You should still check any reviews that have been posted though.

As Dave says the aspect options are tailored to allow particular schools or approaches to customise the app. Using 'standard' is the best option for a beginner or someone who follows a mainstream approach. Solar Fire attempts to provide a wide variety of tools, so that it can be used by a wide variety of approaches to Astrology. This means that for any one user, there will be settings or options that they will never use.

In this case the app has a much reduced sub-set of the various aspect sets offered by Solar Fire. In short:

Moiety and Medieval are used if you practice the traditional methods used in the Middle Ages or Seventeenth Century

Huber Psychological would be used only if you follow the methods developed by Bruno Huber (if you've never heard of him, don't worry)

Synastry and Synwide are used by some practitioners who apply special techniques when assessing the compatibility of two (or more) people

Tight as the name implies keeps the orbs down below that which is considered 'normal' and thus picks out only the most important aspects in the chart.

Unless you have good reason to depart from Standard, that is what you should keep to.

Grigori

I use this app and am very impressed by it. The features included are quite substantial considering the platform and the cost. I have fairly narrow astrological interests so may not represent the average user, but it works well for me. If there is something specific you'd like to see I could take some screen captures and post them, or ask for some specific function.

I had a couple of bugs and issues in the 1.0 version, but they were quickly resolved and it now works well and reliably for me. I've not shared data between Solar Fire and the app, so can't comment on that aspect of things.

cardlady22

Yes, the price $30 US (compared to $360 US for the desktop SF) made me feel like I got a great value for the money! I don't have Solar Fire, so I've not tried importing or exporting charts. Viewing the Transit chart is easy and fun to watch as it moves during the day. You have the option to jump forward or back in time specifying:
1-30
min, hour, day, month, year

I'm not sure what the transit "graph view" letter/number notes under the glyphs mean.
3S12
2A28
etc.

Grigori

I'm not sure what the transit "graph view" letter/number notes under the glyphs mean.
3S12
2A28
etc.

They are the orbs. Degrees and minutes, and the letter is the direction of movement towards or away from the exact aspect: Applying or Separating

cardlady22

*smacks forehead*
I really should have gotten that one . . . thank you!

JDisTheBest

Just curious, what would you recommend this app for? I don't really have an interest in doing astrology for other people or anything but I am interested in my own. 30 bucks is a lot for an app and am just wondering if it works for being a personal horoscope and birth chart app.

cardlady22

Granted, I've barely had it for a day, but it suits what I am working with right now. I make the occasional "birth chart" or "wedding day" jewelry as gifts, use the Sabian Symbols, tell family members what sign the moon is in when they need to have procedures done, etc. The money is paying for the calculation engine/database & well worth it. $2.50 a month for a single year? I spend $40 to go to a movie with my family. :grin:

It does look like it requires Solar Fire v6 or higher file formats to import charts

. . . there is no "form" to enter data for calculation. So, as a stand alone item, it does current placements, or the tedious jump ahead/back so much in time from now.
ETA: whoopsie! see below

Grigori

I maybe misunderstand you cardlady, do you mean to say you can't enter your birth details and such to draw up a natal chart? Cause you can do that.