astrology is not as practical as tarot

sunstallion

First of all, I dont think my knowledge is good enough to make any judgements. I dont mean to offend any astrologers in here. I just want to share with you this story.

I talked to a lady who work at a home that adopt children who dont know their parents are, like they got lost when they were young. This woman works with children came from all over the world like from Africa, India, Korean, etc... She knows astrology, tarot, and palm. She told me that of all the three disciplines. Tarot is the most practical to her. She cant use astrology to help the children because they dont have their exact birth information. Sometimes, if she does readings over telephone or emails, she cant do palm reading. But with tarot, she can use it with telephone, emails or in-person.

Lynda

There's a lot of information that can be gleaned from a chart without a time of birth. I didn't think this years ago and would turn people down when they requested readings. A lot can be seen in a chart for the day as one's Sun, Mercury, Venus, etc, don't move very far in the course of the day. There's far more information, IMHO, in doing an astrology chart than there is in employing the tarot (although I'm definitely into the tarot, don't get me wrong!!).

A chart is absolutely invaluable in conveying information that other disciplines do not. Further, I add the extra dimension of the Sabian Symbols, as they are enormously edifying about a person's life.

A simple solution to the dilemma of an unknown birthtime is to calculate the birthchart with the sun on the ascendant. This tells you reams about the life of the person...

seaweed

Excellent reply, Linda!

Sunstallion,

In addition to astrology (and almost every culture on earth has a system of astrology,) most palmists worth their salt can tell volumes about a person's early life, childhood, personality traits, potential struggles, how someone has/will deal with obstacles, potential health problems, innate gifts, areas where they will be protected from some outcome, their over-all constitution (how well do they weather situations) and they can get some perspective on a person's future.

Almost every culture has a system of reading symbols and divining a person's future/personality, typically this deals with some mark on a person's hands, feet, head or face but it can also include events that happened at the time of birth (for instance, babies born with a cowel are said to have the gift of second sight.) For instance, palmistry has its roots in India (where they have even read the dermal ridges on peoples' feet--it's said that the Buddha had a number of symbols on his feet that showed that he would be a wise man and spiritual leader.)

Tarot has a lot of flexibility, but in conjunction with other disciplines--like palmistry and astrology and even intuitive flashes--it has the potential to yield much more information. Astrology touches on all these fields.

(I'm just hoping this woman isn't placing children in homes based only on tarot info...)

Thank you for sharing your story, Sunstallion :)

leephd

Perhaps she should learn horary?

What this woman's statement actually reflects is the sad ignorance of most of astrology that is so present today, even among those who profess to "know" it. Horary astrology, that portion devoted to answering questions, does not require a birth chart, and can do everything that Tarot can do. And frankly, it's been around a lot longer historically, and has at least as rich a language base as Tarot. Unfortunately, it also makes a lot of modern astrologers gag, and like the rest of astrology, requires some honest effort and time to learn. It's the latter whch s porbably why modern astrologers have dclared it a "speciality," whereas no ancient astrologer would leave home without it.

To be precise, Tarot, horary astrology and I Ching are all divinatory techniques. You get somewhat different perspectives from them, which is precisely why the study of multiple divinatory techniques can be so incredibly revealing.

Minderwiz

As someone who tried to bring Horary to these boards in the past, I cannot agree more. The problem tends to be not so much in accepting Horary as a divinatory method as in trying to get to grips with the practical application - it becomes easier to reach for the tarot deck than consult Lilly (or your own excellent 'Martial Arts'). It is. though well worth the investment of time and energy because the detail that can be gleaned from a horary chart (for me) goes well beyond anything that I have achieved with tarot.

Elven

It is possibly one of my regrets thus far, that I'm not a competant astrolger, but more Tarot, Numerology, and Sabian Oracle reader. Though I recommend to my clients the gift of getting an astrology reading and they can easily plot their readings into.
Astrology used with the other disciplines, as well as a number of other methods, you can have a rich illustration of many aspects of your life, not just a sketch.

Blessings
Elven x

Nevada

I can see where it wouldn't be as practical if all the birth data isn't available for the children she works with. (I don't know horary, so can't comment on that.) But for someone for whom the birth data is known, I'd consider astrology more practical than Tarot, because there are absolutes involved, concrete cycles that can be relied on. I find it very helpful, when I'm having problems, to spend a little time checking on my current transits, and very often find my answer there. It provides information I need to deal with the effects and move forward. I can't say I get nearly as definite an answer from Tarot, because so much depends on interpretation.

Much as I love Tarot, I find astrology to be quite practical in that it's less ambiguous.

Nevada

Minderwiz

There are unfortunately a lot of 'variables' in Astrology - planets, houses, signs at the least (OK Dave, planets and longitudes :) ). Then there are the variations in terms of application, - horary is not quite the same as natal.

For some this can seem like trying to learn a massive rule book, which is enough to put anyone off. I certainly found that the first part of my astrological career (such that it is) involved trying to sort the wood from the trees. However, relatively early on I began to find an approach which suited me - in my case a traditional approach (I keep to the traditional rulerships for example). Once an approach appeals then reading can be relatively selective and a path for self development opens up and I reached a clearer understanding of astrology and my relation to it.

One of the advantages of the traditional approach is that it still keeps open the use of horary, or the use of event charts. It tends to focus more on what happens in the real world rather than in the mind and as such it can be practically highly useful.

Horary can help an interested party (the querent) learn significant and useful information about something (the quesited) in order to make more informed decisions. And its so much more satisfying than the rather simplistic natal astrology that magazines and newspapers often seem to promote.

dadsnook2000

I'm checking in

As Minderwiz notes, there are a lot of astrological techniques that can be used other than what many on this list think of as "classical natal astrology." I don't need a birth time to do a pretty good chart reading. Sure, it helps greatly and adds a lot of detail if you have full chart data. As someone who does both and has done so for quite some time its my opinion that astrology can do far more than tarot in many areas. Yet for some things, tarot is better. They are, after all, two different systems and are not parallel in their strengths and weaknesses.

PS, I'm back from vacation.

Dave

Minderwiz

Dave - nice to see you again, hope you had a good vacation!