AT Comparative Study - D - Seven of Cups

paradoxx

celtic Dragon

a young man dressed in blue, indigo, an dred with gold trim stands inffront of, well, 7 cups, each with its contents totally visible to us but not the the youth. A green water dragon waits patiently for him to choose.

the contents of the cups
A tall sandcastle
a wand and scroll
a sword
a small green dragon (very adorable)
a skull set into the cup so the youth cannot see
a heart that looks like the hearts from legend of zelda (now there's an idea for a tarot deck)
and finally a cup full of gems

Since we are looking at the youth from up on top of the rocks we, the quertent, becomes another choice all together, and the youth and dragon becomes two more choices for us.

comparisons:
we are viewing the situaiton from the opposite side that the youth is standing.
A dragon watches
there is no shrouded cup

Moonbow

Swietlistej Drogi

Symbology and Imagery

A woman stands holding a cup above her head. She is surrounded by six other cups, spaced out at her feet. A cascade of water pours into the cup she is holding with such force that it spurts out also filling the six other cups.

Comparison to other decks

To my mind there is no comparison to a RWS deck or clone but a simialarity in meaning to the marseilles if the number/suit method is followed. Number seven is a sacred and purposeful number. It is perfection and success.

Initial reaction

The woman in the card is happy, she spreads her happiness to six others and fills their cups also. Even the shape of her dress (splayed out) enforces the sharing aspect. The card has a celebration feel but could also mean the out pouring of any emotion depending on the question and spread. Interestingly up-side-down the shape the water spray makes is also a large cup. So to me the meaning is the same even if the card is reversed.

hyatt

the secret tarots

Symbolism and imagery:
Ou la la - what a sexy card! A beautiful pale red head lays half naked in a lavish bed. She holds her head - but she is asleep, dreaming of the cups above her head. Each are filled with something from a castle to a snake wrapped around an egg. Her back is arched and it looks like she is having perhaps an erotic dream. This is my favorite 7 of cups from all my decks and my favorite card in this deck.

Compared to other decks:
The woman is asleep - a true dream state instead of one that is more implied. She is nude, which is very different than the fully dressed man in RW.

Initial reactions:
I can't help but think that the woman is having an erotic dream. It makes me think that her passions are taking over her. Her unconscious mind is in control - perhaps she is thinking about something that she wouldn't consider in her "real" life. It certainly decribes fantasy even if you do not find it to be erotic.

From the book: forewarning dream, odd opinions

Sevan

The Medieval Scapini

A blonde woman sleeps in a chair with her head in one hand, the other hand in her lap. Around her pleasant face, seven cups; a cloud, a golden lotus, a hookah, a pitcher w/her and her partner happy in old age together, a glass liquor bottle, and a silver chalice. The last cup is at her feet has the dreamer's features, and the only one that isn't leaking or steaming. Overall very dreamy and lovely.

Comparison: Very similar to some, and later I thought the hand in the lap could have an erotic meaning, but overall pleasant and not troubling in any way.

LWB: Fantasy, unrealistic attitudes, imagination, daydreams, foolish whims, wishful thinking, illusionary success

(not so uplifting by the book!)

September Pixie

Tarot Of The Gnomes

Symbolism and imagery:
A little gnome with a red hat & a large feather through it sits on a wooden stool, singing while playing a little guitar/banjo with a cup sitting just to his left. He's brightly dressed, with a blue shirt, brown vest, green pants, and blue suede shoes!

Compared to other decks:
This card also speaks of creativity.. like most decks the creativity is shown here, granted its different, but still has the same meanings behind it I suspect.

Initial reactions:
Because he is singing & playing music.. creativity comes to mind.. Happy times.. Because the card says 'Truth' on it, I think there is probably a need to be more grounded/honest about your creative talents but a time to use them to your advantage.

From the book: Truth
There is more truth in the songs of drunkards than in the speeches of the powerful.

Final thoughts:
I think the book definition is very interesting.. not exactly something I would pull from looking at this card, but still very much true.

WooMonkey

Winged Spirit Tarot

Symbolism & Imagery - A man and a woman dressed in blue are floating chest to chest, as they reach past each other for cups just beyond their reach. A cherub hovers, slightly cringing, in the background.

Comparisons/contrasts - This card has much more of the "pipe dreams" aspect of the 8 of cups than some other cards. There is a foolish aspect to what they're doing. There isn't much of a decision making feel--they've made their choices!

Initial reactions - This card seems to warn about going after the unattainable, while ignoring what you have. The couple look right past each other while grasping for the cups. It feels cautionary, but humorous too.

LWB - Many options are available; we should choose carefully.

paradoxx

New Palladini

description
7 cups, each with gem orniments rest against a plain white background. Each cup contains an object:

A fern with a pink rose
an arcing rainbow landing in the cup
the sun
the moon
a water snake coiling out of the cup
fire
overflowing with water

comparrisons:

This deck focuses only on the cups and their contents, not even a background to detract your attention.

paradoxx

Cosmic Tarot

Description:

complicated thats for sure. A young man/woman is kneeling down tothe ground shirtless. surroundign him are 7 cups, each associated with a 'cosmic' image.

the cups and the card description clockwise from the far left:
the first cup has a book of shadows/spells with a pentagram and sword hovering above it. The cup tips and overflows into the second cup.
The second cup is also overflowing but is not tipping over, the image becomes very abstract at this point. The image of a side of a house/castle domantes teh upper left part of the card. part of the castles turrent becomes a man (seen in this decks 6 of cups) and he is kissing the woman (of the 6 of cups.) A face of a woman is behind everything and has her eye closed.
The third cup is just below the figure of the woman.
And finally the fourth is deeply embedded into the ground and is to teh back of the woman, above it is another figure in teh distance.

And thats just the upper half of the card.

the lower half of the card shows a cup embedded in teh ground, but slanted with a crown hovering above it, another cup has worms crawling into the ground, and finally a wilting rose.

further analysis of the symbols:
Each individual pictured has a cup associated with them.

The face behind the book, pentacle, sword, castle, and man (from teh 6 of cups) is not directly connected to the chaos of the card, but proximity to the magical items may indicate a third parties intefearance.

The man (who is morphing in to a castle) is symbolic of 'having a stable household,' and the stereotypes it invokes.

The two figures in contact with one another (from the 6 of cups) seem to relate to unfaithfulness and false affections.

The figure in the background may or may not actually be in teh same plane as the man grovelling on the ground.

The three cups on teh ground are symbols of false nobility and that which cannot be obtained.
Crown=power
Rose=love
Worms=materialism

Lots of symbols, and quite hard to put into words.

hyatt

Witches Tarot

Symbolism and imagery:
There are seven cups being raised in this card. The top one is huge in comparison to the others. Each cup is being raised by what looks like the same hand repeated over and over. The hands have long fingers and blue loose sleaves. In the background it looks like water or cirus clouds. The cups glow.

Compared to other decks:
The cups glow but have nothing in them. The repetition of the hands is unusual. There is only parts of a person you do not see a whole person.

Initial reactions:
This card doesn't have the suggestion of creativity like other decks do. My reaction is emotional wealth and perhaps praise of intutition.

From the book: Sucess in love, attraction, magnetism, love in many forms, emotion is inspiring, achievement of ideals.

mercenary30

Templar Tarot

Symbolism and imagery – A person was walking down a path that meanders up the middle of the card. Apparently they are having a vision in the sky, and are off the left side of the path and climbing up a tree to try to reach out to their vision. The path appears to be in the mountains and it eventually heads up around the side of one of the peaks. The vision is that of a rose center piece with bright white light radiating from it; the brightest points are in the shape of a cross. On each compass point there is a chalice, except for due south. The chalice is white with the Templar cross emblazoned on it. This person is wearing purple robes and seems to have a halo around their head as well.

Comparisons/contrasts with other decks – RWS, Robin Wood, and others show a myriad of items inside each chalice to show the temptation/fantastical aspect of this card. The focus is usually on the person and the vision (Seven Cups). In this card it show a person who is being distracted from their current activity by this vision. The tree presents false hope to attain that vision, at least right now (as if things were that easy). It is also focused on the temptation of one of the things that was so important in the time period; The Holy Grail.

Initial reactions – I really like the way this card shows the effect of the distractions represented in this card. Yes, there are times in life when a break from the trail is a good thing, but too much of this and little progress will be made. Now unlike some other cards, this one also speaks to me of more than just an illusion or a tease. The vision has symbols within it that may well give clues to this seeker as to how the object of their quest may be obtained.

Book Notes – A figure near a tree has vision of seven cups surrounding a rose. The cups are decorated with the Templar cross. In Christianity the rose is the symbol for Mary.

Divinatory Meaning: This is a card of choice. The querent must have a great deal of perception or faith to make the correct one. This card can also mean that dreams or visions overwhelm reality.

Reverse Meaning: Self-delusion, fantasy; loss caused by false hopes.