Athanasius Kircher's Oedipus Aegypticus

DianeOD

Coptic-Ethiopians in Rome

Thought I'd mention the monks from Ethiopia (also considered Coptic) who were given a home within the Vatican city during the 15thC.

Ever since they have been there. Based at "St. Stefano degli Abissini" - which is possibly another level of allusion within those 'Barbary star' emblems(often called the Sun).

arcanum magnum

Scion said:
Does anyone know of an available edition of the Oedipus Aegypticus that could be purchased for research? An English translation would be preferable (if it exists) but Latin would do in a pinch.

I realize the hieroglyphic translations are a bust, but the artwork is transcendant and this is one of the root documents of the promulgated "Egyptian Mystery" fallacy of later occultists. This book is referenced by so many Hermeticists, it seems unimaginable that the only copies in existence date from the 17th century. Am I insane?

I can' t seem to locate any published edition online, even in libraries. Surely someone has transcribed and published it at some point. C'mon all you historical types: hit me one out of the park! :)

Scion

i hold the original. :)
the original has 2 books from 16 century for about 3000pages.
it is writen in 5-6 languages, one of it is my own. ;)
i can get the whole for a right price. a copy ofcourse ;)

DoctorArcanus

arcanum magnum said:
i hold the original. :)
the original has 2 books from 16 century for about 3000pages.
it is writen in 5-6 languages, one of it is my own. ;)
i can get the whole for a right price. a copy ofcourse ;)

Well, that must be a good object to spend some time with :)

How comes Croatian is included in Oedipus? Which parts are written in your language?

arcanum magnum

DoctorArcanus said:
Well, that must be a good object to spend some time with :)

How comes Croatian is included in Oedipus? Which parts are written in your language?

because it was the third diplomatic language in middle ages in europe ;)
and also the book is in greek, latin and i think copt and hebrew. :D
2 pages are on chinese. ;)