Athiest + Tarot???

kayne

Ok... here's one for the wise and wonderful community that is Aeclectic Tarot...

Can you be an Athiest and also believe in Tarot?

Sometimes I don't know if I really believe anything, other times I sway to a more Wicca/Paganistic view of the world/universe/life etc and other times a more Christian view... And sometimes I don't believe in anything except that which I can see and experience. I know I believe in tarot - I have seen and experienced and been amazed by it's results and teachings...

Am I fooling myself here?

:cool: K

Diana

Well, you know Tarot can only give us the answers that we already know deep down in our hearts. You do believe in yourself don't you? :p
So I reckon you can be atheist, Christian, Muslim, or whatever. Makes no difference to the wisdom that the cards provide.

Scorpion

Hi, Kayne!

I see Diana's point.

I understand the definition of atheism is a disbelief in the existence of a god. I guess that doesn't stop you believing in, say, coincidence or a whole host of other things which could incorporate a function for Tarot.

However, from your description of your changing beliefs, I suspect you're more agnostic - as in "I'm not sure" - which would definitely leave room for Tarot.

blue

I think that even if you don't believe in god the inter-relationships of the universe still continue to function both physically and mentally.

Now, if you don't believe in Tarot, that's a whole different ball game.

Greenman

to me, the tarot is a tool and not a philosophy. all that is required is understanding (and ALOT of work). do you need to 'believe' in the hammer to drive in a nail?
so i really don't think that faith in something higher is neccessary to work with the tarot. imo.

tarotbear

Tarot is not 'god'. Tarot is not a religious practice.

You can believe or disbelieve anything you wish. Tarot is a SYSTEM in and of itself.

Why do you think being an atheist is going to be a handicap or something?

Lilliana

I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember, but that hasn't stopped me from exploring and using the tarot.

I have another friend who is an atheist, and he also practices magick and uses astrology and runes.

I think atheism isn't so concerned with disbelieving in things, but instead concerned with coming to beliefs through rational+logical thinking. So if you have used the tarot and found it to be accurate, logically, you could say that it works.

I agree with Diana and Greenman, for me, tarot is a medium which allows my subconcious to speak. I also think that it could be used as the basis for a philosophy too.

Lilli

Major Tom

Kayne - I don't think you're fooling yourself at all. }> You've reminded me of a joke:

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He sat up all night, every night, wondering if there really was a dog.

Just curious here: Do you spend much time with that wonderfully, vibrantly coloured deck you've created?

Quote:Greenman (04 Feb, 2002 03:48):
do you need to 'believe' in the hammer to drive in a nail?

Greenman - I agree with you but something about this question struck me as humerous.

If I didn't believe in the hammer I would never pick it up - let alone use it. :D

arizonagirl

People who espouse atheism can still be intuitive, can still interpret their relationship to their environment, can see and feel and think, can love and hate and cry.

I'm Wiccan and therefore believe in a Goddess and God, but Tarot is not for the exclusive use of those who believe in a Divinity.

RainbowFire

Quote:arizonagirl (05 Feb, 2002 23:57):
Sometimes I don't know if I really believe anything, other times I sway to a more Wicca/Paganistic view of the world/universe/life etc and other times a more Christian view... And sometimes I don't believe in anything except that which I can see and experience.

Depending on the time of month (hmm) I believe different things! Sometimes I'm all for Wicca and meditation and spells, other times I'm agnostic and wonder if I should be Christian? Then I have an interest in different religions... and when I'm on my period I'm totally...material! No interest in religion really, I just play my Dreamcast and read... I blame the moon :D