Average Going Price of a Rohrig?

sunflowr

I'm noticing that Amazon.com marketplace is selling the deck for $400 to $600 dollars! Just for the English version! One that doesnt have a box is still going for $300 dollars! I have an english Rohrig, sans box but nice bag, and I'm probably going to sell it but not sure what to ask for it. I'm seeing prices like that and thinking, "is my deck worth THAT much??". But then I go to ebay, and they're $60 to $70 dollars.

So I am appealing to you knowledgeable collectors out there who know the going prices of these kinds of items. How much is a (english) Rohrig really worth? I most definitely need the money, so I dont want to get ripped off by selling it for less than it's worth. But, likewise, I dont want to rip anyone off by selling it at some way bloated price.

Thanks for your help. :)

Le Fanu

Im no expert and it´s so difficult to know what these things are worth. Trying to be objective, I wouldn´t say that the Rohrig is on a par with the Greenwood just yet. I would also guess that the VRomantic Gold and the BGothic Silver are worth more. But is that just me being biased (because I think they´re worth it!) ? When I see the Rohrig here up for trade, it seems to average out at about 60 US dollars.

I bought mine for 37 euros a few months ago in a tobacconists (it had been there for ages and each time I went I thought "maybe I should buy it"...) I asked here at the time if it was rare, and was told "gosh no; you can get it very easily on German amazon). Weeks later you couldn´t...

I personally think 37 euros is about right. I like it, but I don´t think it´s up there with, say, the Ltd edition Magic Realist Press decks, the Greenwood, the Ambar (?)

Erzebet

Isn't the Internation edition of the Rohrig still in print and easily attainable? Ask someone at Tarot Garden!

You could easily sell it highly marked up to someone who doesn't know they could get a normal price version, I'm sure most don't do searches!

Psychebleu

Is this the deck with all the half naked women?

The English version has the Fool on the box? I bought it because I really liked that card, but don't really care for the deck as a whole. I do have my box, cards are so huge, that don't fit into any of my other wooden boxes with other decks.
So, I could be selling it for a nice amount of cash?

WolfSpirit

The German newer editions also have the Fool on the box, and the "notes" on the cards are bilingual (English and German). As far as I know, the English and the newer German editions are the same apart from the titles/keywords in the borders. $ 600 is a lot just to have a different language on the borders - and many people end up trimming off the borders anyway :laugh: because the cards are huge.
As for market value *scratches head* it depends what people want to pay for it I suppose, but I would agree with LeFanu. Although I would personally go for the deck in the original (i.e. German) language, I like having a multilingual collection :)

Aerin

As has been noted here before, Amazon marketplace is an especially rubbish guide to prices, not just for decks but for books too.

I'm fairly convinced that some sellers must use a whacky computer programme that panics whenever amazon doesn't sell direct. I've seen prices of hundreds of £s or $s quoted for in-print books before now - even when other sellers are selling for sensible prices.

Also, it isn't what it is offered for it's what it sells for that counts.

I look at abebooks and alibris as well as ebay. And check regularly if it's something I want as offers change from week to week.

Aerin

ps got a book from abebooks for $10 that an amazon seller wanted $300 for. The US library sellers are especially reasonable for books.

rwcarter

Veering slightly off-topic, but still related to the deck:

If there is a "new" German version, people should be aware that the original German version contained some nudity that was covered up in the International version. It would be interesting to know if that nudity exists in the "new" German version.

Rodney

Skydancer

I would say to PM Umbrae or even Scion a bit later on - they would know, or tell you where to look.

I got mine for about $15. and with a spiral bound book that wasn't even advertised, but that was a fluke.
I don't think the lady knew what she had. Most were about $40. back then, last summer.
There's one on ebay for $55. plus $18 shipping :bugeyed: - why do people do that? (Try to charge outlandish shipping fees??)
Like what was said - what people ask and what they get are oft not the same.

check also half.com

~hth
*S*

WolfSpirit

rwcarter said:
Veering slightly off-topic, but still related to the deck:

If there is a "new" German version, people should be aware that the original German version contained some nudity that was covered up in the International version. It would be interesting to know if that nudity exists in the "new" German version.

Rodney

LOL, I was waiting until someone would bring that up :D
I have a deck with German titles, and it does not have the nudity the first editon(s ?) German deck had. Now if you would find a first editon German deck - I assume that would be worth something !