Barbara Walker, Tarot book

Moon mind

Do any of you have this book?

Walker, Barbara G. -- The Secrets of the Tarot : Origins, History, and Symbolism?

What do you think about it?
Is it worth to get?
It seems so "pricy" for used books at the amazon...

any inside and thoughts?

I have the deck, and from reading the LWB it seems that it would be a good read.., but then sometimes is LWB enough.
thanks
moonm.

Moon mind

Nobody? Barbara Walker?

alone on my path, again?

:)

Gerbear

I have this book and think it is very well written. I mainly used it some decades ago, but it was a big help with the deck. Perhaps you could go to usedbooksearch.com and search there, or perhaps you could google Powell's Books.

Moon mind

Thank you Gerbear,
looks like great rates at usedbooksearch.
moon mind

Strange2

I very much enjoyed this book's examination of a wide range of mythological and religious symbolism as they relate to the Tarot images and energies. There's a lot of information presented, and now that I scan through it again it is deserving of another read.

A very interesting book on it's own, and it also enhances one's understanding of the Barbara Walker Tarot deck's images.

Moon mind

Thank you Strange2,
I also had the B. Walker's Encyclopedia of mysteries(don't exact name) from library.
It was a big "read" including the Tarot and other things like Gypsies... very, very interesting.
Now I'm ready to make some purchases. :) I want B.W. to part of my own library.
It seems to be that all her book goes out of print....
Why is that?

prosewitch

Hi--I just joined the forum and I was actually thinking of starting a thread on this same topic! :)

Mostly, I'm curious as to how other Tarot users/researchers view her reconstruction of history. I'm about a third of the way into the book, and I'm highly skeptical about all the connections she makes. Goddess-worshipping Gypsies brought sacred Tantric knowledge from the Orient (what a loaded term!) to Europe, where it was snapped up by Gnostic sects and Knights Templar and assorted other heretics?! It seems a tad implausible, to say the least. I don't think it makes Walker's understanding of Tarot any less meaningful, because I do believe there are multiple significances and connections in Tarot that may not be immediately apparent to the casual observer.

I'm coming at this as a student of culture, folklore in particular, plus I just took a course on Representations of the Roma in Western literature, film, and music, so right now I'm particularly attuned to how Gypsies are used by others who want to project their own ideas onto them as a convenient "look at these mysterious traveling folk!" trope. Walker doesn't cite any authoritative sources on the Roma--not that there are many, as the Roma are incredibly diverse and there haven't been a lot of studies made by insiders to the group, mostly it's been outsiders dazzled by their supposedly free and romantic lifestyle.

But while I'm reading Walker with a skeptical eye toward her history, I think she makes a number of intriguing connections between the meanings of the cards and the cultural climate at various times in European history. Her bile toward the repressive and reprehensible actions of the Church is understandable, and it's where she relies on the writings of the Church, ironically, that I think her scholarship is the strongest. What I think makes Walker's work truly brilliant is that it's not simply reactionary, that is, she's not just reclaiming a pagan heritage from the grasping claws of patriarchal Christianity--rather, she's fused diverse belief systems and alternative historical accounts to create a unique and meaningful approach to Tarot. I think her deck is gorgeous too, though I haven't begun to really work with it.

I guess what I'm saying is that I like her symbolic system, though I believe that her interpretation of historical data is not the only interpretation one could make of the existing evidence.

vision777

I brought this deck in janurary and i would also like to know where can i purchase this book from. I live in new york city and it appears that all of the barns and noble stores do not have this book the secrets of the tarot by barbara walker. if any body knows any book stores that is located in manhattan or the bronx please do tell thats only if they have this book. thanks alot. I am kinda of scared of this deck but i would like to give it a try. i notice the things we are most scared of are the things we end up liking at the end.

Moon mind

i notice the things we are most scared of are the things we end up liking at the end.

Hey... well sometimes. I don't like the art work on this deck, but her philosophy is intriguing . I still don't own the book to go with Tarot, but you can get it in used book stores.

I have this book and think it is very well written. I mainly used it some decades ago, but it was a big help with the deck. Perhaps you could go to usedbooksearch.com and search there, or perhaps you could google Powell's Books.

Moon mind

Goddess-worshipping Gypsies brought sacred Tantric knowledge from the Orient to Europe,

Well, you know I am no historian or scholar or anything like that. but it does make sense-in some way, that Gypsies brought sacred knowledge w/ them - and not just gypsies but people of all west and central Europe(known as Celts) as they originate from the Indo-Europeans nation.
For example, in language of Slavic nations, I noticed numerous times that words have Indian-east-origins and exist in today’s modern speech.

If-yes-or-not Gypsies as we know them today brought anything to Europe is hard to find out, but The ancient gypsies and other nations defiantly brought Eastern mind of worshipping with them to Europe.