Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot

baba-prague

Hey guys, we are not doing Disney here!

No, I honestly disagree on The Devil card. I think the ideas are lovely, but not for this deck - it could pitch it into cartoon, which we don't want.

The Devil stays as it is - I find it chilling personally - in fact I half wondered if it was not a bit too much so.

Please bear in mind we are not going for "cute" - we have a very clear idea in our heads of the world that this is all set in. We've actually begun to set up other parts of this world just to begin to build it more broadly (to us, this is something like a parallel universe, with some of its own internal consistency and rules). It isn't that I don't like cute - but I don't know, it's just not us somehow.

Okay - back to the scene in the formal garden...

Kissa

baba-prague said:
The Devil stays as it is - I find it chilling personally - in fact I half wondered if it was not a bit too much so.

Hi Baba,

I love the :TDEV card. What is the lady cat looking at? She is obviously not watching in front like her boyfriend ;) . Is she watching at the pilars the right? I cannot see clearly on the scan, as you say, the cards are so full of details, it's hard to see on our computer screens!

I agree that it is good to hear some critics but who said you have to listen to them ;) ?? You and Alex are the artists and this deck is your vision, a part of a broader masterpiece as you explained. Whereas it is really nice being able to follow the birth of a deck, I think we, as viewers, are nevertheless "outside" of the creation process and (except for some genious advices I've read here) it should stay that way ...

Moreover, a Tarot deck is an entity itself and some cards, which appear individually here "cute", "cosy" or unappropriate to some of us might not have the same effect in a reading, on a spreadcloth on the kitchen table or in our hands while we look thru the deck. (IMHO)

I'd say go for it, baba team! :D

As a woman with two left hands, ten thumbs, no brains for all that image computer editing stuff and weak eyes hardly compensated by two centimeters thick glasses :joke: I am amazed and speechless in front of this creation process. I fell very humble and excited as well: is it really going to happen??? Am I going one day to hold these cards in my jelly sticky hands????? The ones i watched emerge on the screen, night after night sitting here on my very chair, covered with white/grey/black/orange cat hair???

Kissa

baba-prague

Kissa said:
Am I going one day to hold these cards in my jelly sticky hands????? The ones i watched emerge on the screen, night after night sitting here on my very chair, covered with white/grey/black/orange cat hair???

Thanks Kissa! Well, as a woman who got spat at by a ten-day old kitten yesterday (their eyes finally opened - and one did NOT like the look of me!) I can tell you that yes, you really will hold these cards :) - and probably they'll get covered in fur too - seems only fitting!

The woman in The Devil card is looking at the man. He is looking at The Devil. The fierce dog is snarling at both of them, and the Devil himself? Well, he is supposed to look almost languid and lovely - as the Devil often can. I think that many of the things that this card stands for come disguised in ways that are somewhat lavish, attractive and glamorous (I am thinking in particular of a reading I did a while back for someone I know - it said that the Devil would come disguised as something very, very hard to resist - and I have to say, it did, it came as money and fame and a lot of other possibilities and he did not resist. That taught me a lot).

That's one reason that the space is rather like a temple. It's a grand space - one that draws you in. You don't notice at first that every pillar is topped with a demon, and that it's all lit in a glowing red.

Anyway :)

A change of atmosphere next with the Nine of Pentacles - always a card I love to do.

tmgrl2

That was exactly what struck me when I first saw your Devil card...he looked so "god-like" and Zeus-like....and I was drawn in by the power and size of him...when I think of Zeus it reminds me that the Greek and Roman gods all had their human foibles...and it is this element in your devil, of being so large and handsome and appealing... that I was drawn to at first...then! I have to remember that it is the Devil calling me....love the card. Will look at it again and reflect. Saved it to desktop. Congrats on the kittens...used to have them all over when I was a child...turned out to be a big allergy. I miss what I had when I had cats...have a great dog, though!

ncefafn

9 of Pents

I love the look on her face. "What do you think I'm going to do with this bird?"

:laugh:

Kim

lunakasha

baba-prague said:
A change of atmosphere next with the Nine of Pentacles - always a card I love to do.

YAY!!!! That is one of my favorite cards, Karen....I like to think of it as "my card", because it represents how I envision my life to be someday....stability, freedom, pure bliss!!!

I have been anxiously awaiting your version of the 9 of Pentacles: my favorite card from my favorite deck! :D

:) Luna

baba-prague

Shame on you - she is just looking of course ;-)

If the bird suddenly vanishes - well, she won't know a thing about it will she lol

baba-prague

We were helped a lot by finding such a gorgeous cat, the epitome of refinement. She is a Norwegian Forest by the way. Absolutely beautiful.

Hedera

Lovely, lovely, lovely!