Bats, everywhere!!

HearthCricket

Last night we had a very interesting experience. We were out of town at a metaphysical store, just having bought some goodies, and it was about 8pm or so. We heard a lot of squeeking sounds and looked up. A whole circle of bats were flying just below the tree tops, in a slightly open area and there must have easily been 50 of them! I never saw so many and all flying around in a circle like that. We just stood there watching them and looking at other parts of the sky where we could not see a single one. We always get a few bats in our yard and in our area, but this town is 30 minutes away and more of a milltown so far more built up and less wooded. I was surprised to see so many and shocked at their circular behaviour. Any ideas what this might mean? After a while they moved futher on, so if we had not left when we did, we would have missed them completely. Quite a sighting. I need to look up what bat means.

SkadisPhoenix

*grins* Time for my trusty book again. :D (ANIMAL SPIRIT GUIDES; Steven D Farmer, it's brilliant, I'd reccommend it to everybody! :D)

If BAT shows up, it means:

Let go of those habits and attachments that no longer serve you, and welcome the changes that are long overdue.

The ordeal that you're facing is a necessary part of your transformation and an initiation into a much more spiritually directed life.

It's time to confront and conquer your fears, trusting that doing so will bring about dramatic and beneficial changes. (Why does that make me think of Batman? LOL :D)

Mingle and socialize more with others, perhaps by joining ongoing classes or group activities that you think you'd enjoy.

OK, so that's what the book says, and from the "we", I'd be inclined to think that the last sentance is more viable here, for the "we" to maybe start UP your own group, so that others can join you, and... OK, NOW the words won't come, but you get the general gist, right? :confused:

HearthCricket

Yes! And I looked up Bat, too, and there is a lot about facing fears, but also rebirthing. Letting go and moving on. That makes sense and is actually why we were even there. What really has me curious is the amount of bats. If it were the usual few, I would have just looked up and said, "cool, bats." But having a good 50 bats going in a circle...circles are infinity, wheels, life cycles, etc. 50. Age 50? Approaching it in 3 years? Life changes...yes, probably quite a lot, actually. Embracing them. Not being afraid of what is to come, both the inevitable and unknown, but rather look forward to the future and the changes that will come with it, for they will all be for the best. I feel that. I guess Bat wanted to be sure I knew, plus I was complaining to my husband that we seemed to have less bats around, lately. I got my fill in one night!!! :D

SkadisPhoenix

Yeah, and I'm insanely jealous! ;) bats are beautiful creatures. :) I never understood my brother's aversion to them.

Milfoil

To me, bats are incredible, unique creatures, the only mammals to fly! Are you another mammal who can fly??

They use sound to find their way around so knowing when to talk and when to listen seems to be indicated here.

They are very light for mammals, still able to fly without the use of feathers, they claim their own means of flight without trying to be something else. This suggests forgetting what others do and how books or other sources say things should be - be your own, unique person.

They are VERY communal creatures, family and community are safe and important to them suggesting a new found comfort in being with others who are unique like you.

They use the night to their advantage, flying in the dawn and dusk times of, what we know here as, the gloaming. The time just between the last light of day and the full darkness where in almost every culture this is a liminal time of crossings and psychic ability. The church has demonized them because of this use of darkness but that should not be held against them. They are warm blooded and very caring of their young.

They are incredibly fast flyers, like Swifts, they swoop and display such incredible arial acrobatics both alone and in unison with their communities that they are truly to be admired. This suggests speed of thought and movement when in tune with ones surroundings.

Wonderful meeting, I love bats, always have done, wish I'd been there.

:)

HearthCricket

Milfoil said:
To me, bats are incredible, unique creatures, the only mammals to fly! Are you another mammal who can fly??

Well, that is food for thought, as I look around at all my fairy figurines! Flying freely and not letting anything weigh me down. That does make sense!

They are very light for mammals, still able to fly without the use of feathers, they claim their own means of flight without trying to be something else. This suggests forgetting what others do and how books or other sources say things should be - be your own, unique person.

This agrees a lot with what I said above. Not letting anyone force their ideas on me and allowing myself to fly in my own direction. This has been a very freeing year, in many senses.

They are VERY communal creatures, family and community are safe and important to them suggesting a new found comfort in being with others who are unique like you.

I am still working on this, but that is the good thing. I am looking and discovering who I want to be around and what criteria, so to speak, after last summer/fall's craziness. I am more wary in who I get caught up with, but also being careful I don't turn into some sort of hermit!

They use the night to their advantage, flying in the dawn and dusk times of, what we know here as, the gloaming. The time just between the last light of day and the full darkness where in almost every culture this is a liminal time of crossings and psychic ability. The church has demonized them because of this use of darkness but that should not be held against them. They are warm blooded and very caring of their young.

I have always loved bats and the evening and that wonderful dusk time or "in the gloaming" is my favourite time of day. There is something magical about it and feels like anything could happen. Oddly, it is also a time I often find myself reading tarot, journaling or mastering some creative project.

They are incredibly fast flyers, like Swifts, they swoop and display such incredible arial acrobatics both alone and in unison with their communities that they are truly to be admired. This suggests speed of thought and movement when in tune with ones surroundings.

They reminded me of swifts and swallows, and it took me a few seconds to discern that they were bats (by their sound and the time of day) and not birds. It definitely was quite a community, almost ritualistic-like with so many flying around in a circle, chatting away. Maybe I have a new club or organization coming my way to get involved with. That sounds delightful and I will keep my eyes open. We also saw 3 more bats flying from another area, heading towards this group, as though they were late for a very important date! BatMeet 2009, maybe? :D

Thank you for all your input. Lots to chew on and digest!