BEST book for the Visconti?

greatdane

I've decided I must have the Visconti Sforza because it just speaks to me more than the TdM or even any other under the Visconti banner. Best book for that system? What book or books would you recommend for absolute beginners with this system?

Thanks a bunch, ATers.

GD

Abrac

If you're interested in using it as a reading deck, Visconti Tarots by Giordano Berti and Tiberio Gonard (ISBN 8883952588) is one that's geared toward divination. Also, the booklet by Stuart Kaplan that comes with U.S. Games' version of the deck is pretty good as far a booklets go. It has pictures and descriptions of the Visconti and Sforza heraldic devices that are on the cards as well as descriptions of the cards with divinatory meanings.

The Encyclopedia of Tarot, volumes 1 & 2 have a lot of information and historical data. The Tarot Cards Painted by Bonifacio Bembo by Gertrude Moakley is one I see referenced a lot though I've never read it. :)

Debra

The Tarot Cards Painted by Bonifacio Bembo by Gertrude Moakley--this one, almost impossible to find, will not be useful for divination.

Sinduction

There is one available in the "I Don't Love You Anymore" thread in the trading forum. :D

Debra

That's the Berti book. It's interesting.

The thing to remember is that as far as scholars can tell, these cards were not originally designed or used for divination.

greatdane

Thanks SO MUCH, Abrac, Debra and Sin!

I realllly appreciate your posts, oh, and THANKS SINDUCTION for the tip! Thanks, Debra, I thank you for that re not used for divination. Actually, since I don't really read for divinition, but more to go inward, it's what images feel like talking, more than what they say. For some reason, I looked at this deck and thought I can read with this!

Thanks again, ATers. I knew someone would be kind enough to post and you came through! :)))

GD

Greg Stanton

Sounds like divination to me...

greatdane

Hi Greg

Doesn't to me. Divination to me is about trying to foretell the future, asking the deck questions about anything about one's day (should I get this or do that) or one's year or....that's my definition for myself and, by my definition, I don't use tarot that way. I use for reflection and self-discovery, perhaps not exactly in the same way as I used tools I learned in psych classes, but looking for a similar outcome....to learn more about me. If that's your definition for divination, then you would probably call various psych tools divination as well, which is totally fine. We all have our own definitions.

Abrac

The complete booklet by Kaplan can be read here. At the bottom where it says "Instruction pages."

greatdane

oooh, THANKS, ABRAC!

clicking over now.

GD