Best deck for beginners

Brethrain

Hey everyone, nice to be here, thanks for the approval :)

I'm gonna tell you a little story, nothing fancy, nothing too deep.

Here's this woman, working basically with numbers, computers and money. Sometimes fiddling a camera but all the time marveling about the mechanics that lay in her hand and allows her to take the prettiest photos ever. Her friends are the same. She likes to go deep into how things work around her. While having her coffee, she loves to picture the fibers in the wood, how they "work" over time or the intrication of the plumbings. She likes to play Sherlock Holmes in the subway. But nothing without supporting evidence. No hunch. Just facts. Details. She loves detail in everything. It's not as if she didn't try a more "spiritual" and "artistic" life. She did but it didn't feel comfortable.
Yes, she knows about intuition, about many things the humanity cannot find an explanation for yet but she is confident that science will figure it out someday. As a child she went through three experiences she couldn't find explanation for, neither the grownups around her and that was not her cup of tea. She is still waiting for someone to publish something that will give her a reasonable clue.

This woman was visiting a friend a week ago. He is passionate about boardgames. I mean he has at least 150 games, all stacked neatly in wooden shelves. They look amazing, those games, I have to tell you this. Two black little boxes were out of line and she picked them up in order to find a better suited place for them. One of them was Fournier Black Tarot and the second was Fournier I Ching Dead Moon Tarot. "Really, my friend?" - she said, with a raised eyebrow. "Yah it's a game, the pictures are pretty neat, take a look". Truth is, the design was really nice and as all things she couldn't understand, it made her curious. She borrowed them and that night tried to make sense of the instruction sheet on the Black Tarot. If it's a game, how can I play it?. Yet nothing made sense and at the same time she did not feel comfortable not understanding what was she doing.
So she looked it up on Internet. Oh, good old Internet friend. Flooded with information about Tarot. Fell asleep at 5 AM, still frustrated.
Her friend asked about progress. He is a very rational guy and I suspect he thought it is very funny to observe the struggle of another logical and critical thinking being confused and caught up in a world where no anchor she knew could be released.

For Christmas he got her Easy Tarot: Learn to Read the Cards Once and For All! by J. Ellershaw with the Gilded Tarot designed by Marchetti.
(http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Tarot-Le...?ie=UTF8&qid=1420025082&sr=8-6&keywords=tarot)

She went through the book in 2 hours. Went to the store, looked for the perfect scarf and a good, sturdy A4 notebook. Also, found the perfect box where the deck would fit wonderfully.
Started the book again, this time writing in her Tarot Journal. Everything needed to be neat and structured, it was just another learning process, she well knew how to approach that.
Colored pens, fountain pen, lined notebook, the scarf was scissored to fit the proper measures, the box was perfect, the pouch was also great, collected from an old wide camera lens she bought a while ago.

Its 31st of January and she went in 8 days from knowing nothing and caring even less to having filled 2 notebooks with notes about each card. She spent probably an average of about 15 minutes with each card, on different occasion, looking at it, searching for memories, building up stories in her head.

I have to tell you. On a level I fully don’t grasp yet. I love it so much. It reminds me of that music video from A-HA - “Take on me”. When I was a child, I would marvel at that video clip. It’s like every card is a guide to a world I can build within my imagination, makeup stories, imagine sagas, it’s like I can make my own fantasy movie in my head. And the best part is. Nothing contradicts my way of being. I do not feel uncomfortable (with a little exception, last night, if you care, I will tell you about it - but somehow I have the feeling this post is too long already) with the cards, with building what I can imagine over a significance that was already drawn for it.

To get to the point.
I like Gilded Deck but probably if that would have been the deck I picked up first, I wouldn’t have borrowed it. On the other hand, I am looking now at the Black tarot deck and it doesn't feel rich enough after reading the book, taking notes, reading your forum, reading few other resources on the web. Sortof like… feels childish.

I want a new deck.
Ive been going back and forth on this forum on the Deck thread and looked up quite a few decks you guys suggested as being inspiring. Last night, exasperated that I wasn’t still allowed to post a thread on this forum, I gave in and bought a few things on amazon:
The Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot - EVER!! (House of White Library-Aphrodite's Book of Secrets) White, Dusty
Advanced Tarot Secrets: 2 (Aphrodite's Book of Secrets) White, Dusty

Aaaaand a new tarot deck: The Druid Craft Tarot: Use the Magic of Wicca and Druidry to Guide Your Life.

I have to mention I live in Eastern Europe, it is quite hard to get your hands on any materials about Tarot here so I do not have the possibility to physically look at the cards before buying it. I am looking at pictures on the web and looking up for as much information as I can, then my only option is to order it online.
Last night, the Druidcraft deck felt cool. The pictures were nice.
But Im not sure it’s appropriate for beginners. I understand the Gilded Tarot is good for that as the cards are pretty straight forward and I love that about my deck.
But everyone here is talking about decks that “speak to them”. And I kinda want that. I also want something that will not confuse me as a beginner. Like “Ceccoli Tarot Deck” or “Deviant Moon” which I find stunning and beautiful but when I look at the cards in detail, they seem really hard to decipher for me.

So to cut it short.
I am very sorry for the long message and I totally understand if tl;dr for most of you but I felt the need to give you a context to be taken into consideration for your further advice.

What suggestions would you have for a beginner concerning decks? Any advice, not just picking one, tho that is a very important aspect as well.
Thank you.

BodhiSeed

Welcome to the AT forum, Brethrain. :) I enjoyed reading your adventure into the "rabbit hole" of tarot. :D I think the Druidcraft is a good choice for a first deck; the pictures are lovely and evocative, and it has a good companion book. I would suggest as you look through the Tarot Gallery here, ask yourself "How would I read these cards?" Some decks seem to flow for me, and others not so much. But as you look at the scans, try and see which decks give you this feeling - they would probably make a good reading deck for you. Also, there are several online sources of card meanings. Here on AT, Thirteen has each card described under "Tarot Card Meanings" (as well as an inexpensive ebook with a more in-depth look); learntarot.com is a site that may also be helpful. Mary Greer has an excellent book called, "21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card" that may be useful. An online study group for the book can be found in the Study threads here:
http://tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=147
There are also hundreds of tarot blogs on the web; these often give me a new way of seeing some of the cards that I never thought of before.
Above all, have fun and enjoy yourself!

RunningWild

If you like systems and logic, then you might want to stick to those decks that are the closest to the Golden Dawn's recommendations. The Waite Smith deck, of course, has them all, though not the prettiest of pictures, in my opinion. From there, once understood, pretty much any deck based on that system will only enhance your understanding.

Much as I admire Ciro Marchetti's art, I don't particularly care for it in a tarot deck (Gilded, Legacy of the Divine).

Decks with illustrated pips (the numbered cards Ace through ten) are the easiest to learn.

Later, after you feel comfortable with one style, you might try the Thoth and Thoth-style decks.

Everyone here will have their own opinion and the forum is searchable for other threads on this same subject if you're curious. Also, if you go to the site's main page at www.aeclectic.net you will see some of the decks recommended for beginner's. You can view sample images and read reviews there, too.

Most of all, enjoy your tarot journey. It can be deeply satisfying.

Welcome to Aeclectic!

gypsy white bear

hi and welcome to AT

my 1st deck is legacy of the divine tarot by Ciro Marchetti - a very cool deck that i really love the images.

after a long researched, looked thru every single cards of a lot of deck, i decided to buy either RWS or Gilded Tarot - cause they are basic or basic based tarot that i found the images really easy to connect

then at tarot shop, my hands just couldnt put down the legacy box, and i changed all my plan to bring it home

a RWS based deck that the images is no only easy to understand, but also so beautiful and attractive

hope you ll love it too. but would you like to have several decks from a same artist????

from -GWB- with magick

dancing_moon

Welcome to AT! :D

The thing is, being only 8 days into your journey, you probably won't avoid at least some confusion, and no deck will automatically 'speak to you' unless you get really lucky. People who say some decks speak to them have probably spent years or even decades to find those decks and then some more time to study them.

Gilded seems like a nice option for a beginner, and it should keep you busy for a while. My own journey began with Tarot de Marseilles, I struggled with it for quite a while, and it was Arcus Arcanum that really opened my eyes to Tarot. Then, after a while, I found the kind of decks that really 'speak to me'. Guess what? It was Tarot de Marseilles. :D The ways of Tarot are mysterious. :joke:

Happy journey to you!

Brethrain

thank you all fr the kind words

I really appreciated your words, I have very few, to zero people surrounding me with interested in this subject and it feels like a community to share my thoughts is invaluable at this point.
I am going to try to be patient. And wait for the books and the new deck before ordering anything else.
They're just all soooo prettty, my god!
While waiting for your response and being very unhappy with my free hand drawing skills and the options I found online, I've built some Journal Pages in Photoshop to be printed and added into my (mechanical) Journal. They are quite helpful for beginners with 0 talent in drawing, feel free to use them if you like:

Cross of truth:

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/brehtrain/media/journalpage_thecrossoftruth_zpse6cb0b4f.jpg.html

Nine-Cards Spread:

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/brehtrain/media/journalpage_ninecardspread_zps38effeb1.jpg.html

Thanks again, probably you'll be hearing from me soon.

Tanga

...I have to mention I live in Eastern Europe, it is quite hard to get your hands on any materials about Tarot here so I do not have the possibility to physically look at the cards before buying it. I am looking at pictures on the web and looking up for as much information as I can, then my only option is to order it online.

Last night, the Druidcraft deck felt cool. The pictures were nice.
But Im not sure it’s appropriate for beginners. I understand the Gilded Tarot is good for that as the cards are pretty straight forward and I love that about my deck.

But everyone here is talking about decks that “speak to them”. And I kinda want that. I also want something that will not confuse me as a beginner. Like “Ceccoli Tarot Deck” or “Deviant Moon” which I find stunning and beautiful but when I look at the cards in detail, they seem really hard to decipher for me.

What suggestions would you have for a beginner concerning decks? Any advice, not just picking one, tho that is a very important aspect as well.
Thank you.

Hi Brethrain

How lovely to read of how you have been 'hooked' into the 'Tarot addiction' that we all have here. :)

1) Physically looking at the cards before buying - is a minority experience I think. As even in shops selling them - they are usually mostly sealed in their boxes - apart from a few 'sample' decks of the most popular ones available (two shops here in London used to have large scrap books with many of the decks displayed within - but they've scrapped that now and only have the few 'sample decks' I describe - and otherwise, it's back to looking on the internet in the shop if you want to see more. Such a shame that.)

Alot of people just have the option as you do - look on-line and hope you've seen enough of the deck so that you don't hate it when it arrives in the flesh.

2) 'Appropriate decks' - well, this could be a trick question, as 'old hands' will have come from different routes of learning and think differently on this. For myself personally, I would always recommend a beginner has a RWS (Rider-Waite-Smith deck) - as to me, this, and decks that are closely styled after it, have the largest amount of imagery in them pertaining to how to interpret them in the 'classical' sense (there are more 'clues' as to what they may mean).

However my route did not begin with this deck. I have modern tastes, and never liked any of the 'old classics' artwork (and especially not if there were no figures in the minor arcana to prompt me) - so my first deck, whilst just exploring on my own without much information, was The Art Nouvaeau Tarot by Myers (this deck is unique in that each minor suit 'tells a story' of the 2 people shown in it. So those same 2 people feature in each card, 1-10).
When I eventually had the opportunity to attend a Tarot training course some years after my first explorations, the tutoress was using the RWS and so was everyone else.
For several weeks - I used one of my favourite modern decks there, but I eventually caved into buying an RWS so that I wouldn't be 'double interpreting' whilst everyone else was looking at one image version - this was more difficult for me as I was still just learning.

The 1st 'typically styled' RWS deck that I bumped into and liked, was the Morgan-Greer, which I still find wonderfully colourful, simple and clear.

3) If you liked the 'Druid Craft Tarot' and actually bought it - then I would say that it's most likely for you. (Have you interests in Druidism or Wicca? Not essential if you don't, but just wondered, as ofcourse interpreting the deck will bring in richer meanings from these perspectives.). I'm not very familiar with that deck so I cannot comment further - except to say that I can see, in my minds eye, the Empress card from that deck, which I rather like myself.
So, you can now embark on a journey of compare/contrast - the Guilded Tarot with the Druid Craft Tarot - and see what new things you can learn from this (Hopefully, this will keep you busy for some time. :-D).

4) Decks that 'Speak to you' - a deck that 'speaks to you' is one that you personally really like and are happy to work with. It's easy and entertaining for you and you feel you've 'come home' to it. So - this, is up to you - when you see it, or is the present one you have already mentioned :).
Additionally as others have said - decks do really start to 'Speak To You' after some measure of experience and further learning of using them - when you've understood the imagery, looked at the many variations and weighed up which ones best match your particular beliefs and inspirations.
I have 3 of these (and I suspect am about to have a 4th when the postman delivers it). Some people have "The One" which they use most often. Some people don't, and rotate happily through a large number of different decks.
It all depends on your individual make-up.

If yours starts to feel 'childish' then it means you may have outgrown it (for whatever reason - my reason for moving on from my 1st deck at that time - was that I suddenly noticed that all the people in it were caucasian. And I'm a half-breed - black and white :)) and need to move on to something that is more challenging for you - but make sure it's not just feeling that way because you have surmised that 'other more competent readers do not use your current deck'.

I had to laugh at the A-Ha song "Take on me"... now I'll be hearing it in my head and wondering if I should watch it... :)

I would say wait and see. Receive the Druid Craft and play with it - in conjunction with the current deck that you like. And see what happens after that.

Enjoy!

Aries2014

Rider waite

Cocobird55

Welcome to the forum. I loved your story of how you got into tarot.

The Gilded is a good deck to learn with. Most people have a Rider-Waite-Smith deck, and since most of the books use this deck for illustrations it gives you more scope to learn. The Druidcraft if nice and if it resonates with you, go for it.

ana luisa

Welcome to the Forum and to this long but wonderful journey !!! :) I think Tanga gave you all the tips I would give so just adding something that helped and still helps a lot. And I am sure many readers feel the same. It is NOT because a deck is labelled a beginners deck that it is necessarily appropriate for all beginners. I've met people who started with the THOTH !!! Finding your first deck/s is more a question of affinity than a clear set formula. I agree that the art should please you but it's more than that. It should be pleasant but also ENTICING and INTERESTING. My most beautiful decks are useless; so pretty but can't talk...
Last, trust your gut. You may have a very negative reaction to a positive card and that's what reading is about. Not what it IS but what it is FOR YOU at the moment of the reading.
Enjoy the ride !

PS -You could watch some readings being done with the Druidcraft here: some of the videos are blurry but it can give you an idea of how gut impressions and preset meanings can work very well together. (for only Druidcraft deck check numbers) 2/3/6/7/8/10/11/13/14/16/16/19/20/21/22/26/27/28/29
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD6630447A04086D2