Best Thoth book

Summerdream

I finally bought the Thoth tarot tonight. It is the one in the lavendar box with 3 magis.

What would be the best book to buy for this deck? I've heard recommendations of:
The tarot handbook- Angeles arriern
Tarot: mirror of the soul- Gerd Zeigler
The Crowley Tarot: the handbook to the cards- hajo Banzhaf
Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot- DuQuette

Momof3girls:)

contrascarpe

Hi Mom -

The Thoth is one of those "someday" decks for me. It was one of the first decks I purchased, but I have put off studying it in depth thus far.

That being said, I own three books - the Banzhaf and DuQuette you have listed, plus another by Banzhaf (and Brigitte Thaler) entitled "Keywords for the Crowley Tarot".

When I finally decide to delve into the Thoth, I plan on reading the DuQuette first as it seems to be the most comprehensive and easiest to read, at least to me.

Dan

Keslynn

I have The Tarot Handbook (Arrien) and Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot (DuQuette). I think the recommendation really depends on what you want to do and understand with the Thoth tarot.

If you mostly want to read with the deck and aren't really concerned with all the extra esoteric doodads encoded in it, then definitely go with Arrien's book. It's fairly straightforward and will have you reading the cards in no time. She gives great explanations of the symbols, but the definitions are all hers. Her focus is on finding more personal definitions and understanding rather than concentrating on Crowley's intent. I have to say, this book is a really great introduction to the Thoth.

If you want to know a little more about the esoteric doodads and the history surrounding the deck's creation, then get DuQuette's book. He does include divinatory meanings for all the cards (of course) but he concentrates mostly on what Crowley intended the symbols in the cards to mean. This book is also a great intro, but it involves a lot to chew on before you even get to reading with the cards. It's a lot of information, but I really enjoyed it. And DuQuette explains things pretty clearly.

I haven't tried the other books, but out of the two I've read, these are my recommendations.

:) Kes

Rusty Neon

As noted by Keslynn, the best secondary book depends on what your desired approach to the deck is. In any event, the primary book - Crowley's own book to the deck - is valuable.

For understanding the "doodads": Duquette's book, though its coverage is uneven.

Mid-road (Less conforming to Crowley's mindset but in the ballpark nonetheless; and at the same time, giving some intuitive looks into the cards): Banzhaf's _The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards_

For an intuitive approach to the cards: Ziegler's _Mirror of the Soul_. Gets you jump-started working with the cards.

I find Arrien's book to be quite weighed down by her System.

Rusty Neon

P.S. As you have the lavender-boxed deck, don't forget the gem of a text that forms part of the little white booklet. At page 24, there's the artist Harris' commentary on the cards, from the 1942 gallery show of the 78 card paintings. You'll find it more intuitively-oriented than Crowley's _Book of Thoth_ yet it's within the spirit of Crowley's book. It's wonderful to hear the artist's commentary. (Too bad we didn't have a written commentary from Pixie Smith regarding the RWS deck, eh?)

Rusty Neon

P.S. I was looking through Harris' exhibit commentary. Her commentary on the Princess of Cups sure gives a perspective on that card not seen from Crowley's _Book of Thoth_. It's clear that this little text is very much Harris' own views.

"Princess of Cups.

"Here is snow. Round the princess' s dress are water crystals, beside her is a dolphin of Venus; the tortoise is an emblem of earth to show the solidification of water, in mud, ice and snow."

Crowley makes no mention of mud, ice, snow or Venus.

Centaur

I would thoroughly recommend, Duquette's, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot. I wish it had been available when I first purchased my Thoth!!

Centaur

Summerdream

Rusty Neon said:
As noted by Keslynn, the best secondary book depends on what your desired approach to the deck is. In any event, the primary book - Crowley's own book to the deck - is valuable.

For understanding the "doodads": Duquette's book, though its coverage is uneven.

Mid-road (Less conforming to Crowley's mindset but in the ballpark nonetheless; and at the same time, giving some intuitive looks into the cards): Banzhaf's _The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards_

For an intuitive approach to the cards: Ziegler's _Mirror of the Soul_. Gets you jump-started working with the cards.

I find Arrien's book to be quite weighed down by her System.

Well, I'd like to know more about the deck and learn to start reading it. So, I'm thinking I probably need DuQuette's book and either Banzhaf's: The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards or Zieglers: Mirror of the Soul.

Rusty, Besides DuQuette's book, which of the other two that I mentioned would be better to start reading the deck?

Emily

Hi Mom0f3girls,

The handbook to the cards by Banzhaf is a good introduction to the deck. It gives detailed descriptions of the cards and is a very interesting read. It breaks down the details and symbols so you know what you are looking at lol. I do like this book but its alot to take in.

The Mirror of the Soul is very much the same but not quite as detailed. I have both books and use them equally so it would be hard for me to say 'this one is better than that one' - both are very good introductions to the Thoth.

There isn't that many books about the Thoth but all have value. I'm reading, trying to read, the Book of Thoth at the moment lol - with DuQuette's book to help. :)

Edited to add:-

Just read Rusty's reply and I'm not keen on Arrien's book either - its seems to go off and do its own thing. It seems to spend alot of time on working out year cards, its also a very large book with very large print, large pages but not alot of detail on them - one I wouldn't buy again.

Summerdream

There is another book by Banzhaf called Keywords to the Thoth Tarot. Is this one any good? I'm wondering if it would be better than The Handbook to the Cards, Banzhaf's other Crowley book?

Please let me know your thoughts.