Best You Can Hope For

Sophie

I've never seen or used that meaning for any position in the Celtic Cross. I wouldn't want to either, because I find it limiting. It encourages resignation and to me, a tarot reading should be empowering.

Like SSN, I look at the crowning card as the one showing current energies at play in the situation, which might manifest or not - "possible outcome".

If you get the 5 of Pentacles in the crowning card, it's not the same if you see it as a possible outcome if things go on as they are, and if you think it's the best you can achieve in the circumstances.

star-lover

card 5 is conscious goal/what you are aiming for/where things are most likely to be heading

card 10 is always so far away and totally changeable and i agree with whoever said it can be a warning/advice card more than probable outcome

Disa

I'm wondering how my response was considered "utopian"? It's just the way I've seen the positions defined most commonly. aah well, something for me to ponder.

Maybe 5 was the position in question, I didn't think about that.

SunChariot

BLFO said:
I know it is the most common position, especially in the Celtic Cross deck, but doesn't it annoy you? I mean, we all know what we desire and hope for. So what is the point in having this position?

I don't think it means literally the best thing you can imagine happening in the situation. There would be no point to asking that. More like the best thing that can happen given the situation. Meaning if you hope for more you will be disappointed. Hopefully I explained it well.

Also my idea is if you don't like that part of the spread, change it. I do that all the time when I use spreads. When I find a spread I like, but one of the positions is something that seems irrelevant to me, I think about what I really would like to know in relation to that question and exchange the irrelevant part with that. There is no reason you have to use something that does not feel right to you, spreads can be adjusted and personalized. :grin:

Bar