Bird Flies Into Your House Omen

MandMaud

Laurelle, that's weird about the snakes. Creepy. :bugeyed:

I was worried and asked her if someone was going to die but she said that the bird had fell down the chimney, it was an accident and the bird hadn't meant to come into the house.

That would imply that it only counts if the bird chooses to come in. And your Nan sounds ilke someone who knew her stuff when it came to superstitions!

So the only occasion I need to worry about is this robin choosing to come into my porch - twice now, recently. Hm.

There was that jackdaw a few years ago. I honestly don't know if it was shortly before a death. Several older family members have died since 2000 and I couldn't tell you which was in which year.

Emily

Laurelle, that's weird about the snakes. Creepy. :bugeyed:

That would imply that it only counts if the bird chooses to come in. And your Nan sounds ilke someone who knew her stuff when it came to superstitions!

So the only occasion I need to worry about is this robin choosing to come into my porch - twice now, recently. Hm.

There was that jackdaw a few years ago. I honestly don't know if it was shortly before a death. Several older family members have died since 2000 and I couldn't tell you which was in which year.

Robins are really inquisitive and intelligent, more than other small birds I think. He/she has probably just seen you coming and going from the porch and wanted to know what was inside. :)

We have a touring caravan parked on a seasonal plot and we regularly have a robin that was coming into the awning, happily making itself at home but pooing all over stuff. I came face to face with it one morning, scaring me and the Robin and ended up letting it out through the main awning door because it couldn't find the gap where it was coming in from. The awning has been took down now for the winter but the Robin is still hanging around where it was. Luckily lots of people on the caravan park have bird feeders so the birds are always well fed.

Nan was very superstitious, because of her I still break eggshells to stop the seawitch's using them to sink boats lol One day I'll have to list her superstitions and see if anyone else has heard of them. :)

celticnoodle

Nan was very superstitious, because of her I still break eggshells to stop the seawitch's using them to sink boats lol One day I'll have to list her superstitions and see if anyone else has heard of them. :)

this is interesting & I look forward to your list of her superstitions. If you do break up the eggshells, you may as well put them to good use too and put them in the soil around your plants. My mom did this--specifically good for roses, I believe-but mom also put them in the soil for other plants. Very good for them.

But, to stay on topic here about birds and their omen...Robins are a good sign. I always see them as such happy birds. :) I love the robins. They are the first sign of spring, but they are also symbolic of renewal, joy, happiness and a new beginning. To have robins make a nest close to your home is a special good omen, I think. They generally bring lots of blessings with them--lots of joy. such sweet little birds, and they sing so lovely too! :)

Barleywine

But, to stay on topic here about birds and their omen...Robins are a good sign. I always see them as such happy birds. :) I love the robins. They are the first sign of spring, but they are also symbolic of renewal, joy, happiness and a new beginning. To have robins make a nest close to your home is a special good omen, I think. They generally bring lots of blessings with them--lots of joy. such sweet little birds, and they sing so lovely too! :)

Do you have different Robins where you are? Ours make a kind of unmelodious squawk. I have a Robin story: one year we had a young male Robin who couldn't stand the sight of himself reflected in our windows; he thought it was a territorial challenge, so he kept slamming into the windows while attacking his reflection. He wasn't actually trying to get into the house, but it felt that way. Maybe he was trying to let something out.

celticnoodle

Do you have different Robins where you are? Ours make a kind of unmelodious squawk. I have a Robin story: one year we had a young male Robin who couldn't stand the sight of himself reflected in our windows; he thought it was a territorial challenge, so he kept slamming into the windows while attacking his reflection. He wasn't actually trying to get into the house, but it felt that way. Maybe he was trying to let something out.

:laugh: Yes! Yes, we DO have robins and lots of them here. Ours sing beautifully! Yes, the robins would do this, fighting for territory. We had one at the river house and the stupid thing kept trying to chase the other male robin he saw in the window. (it was his reflection). He kept hitting the window, hard! We were afraid he'd end up killing himself, so we purchased a bobble - head owl and set it out by the kitchen window. That worked, but he just moved to the bedroom window instead. So, we found a picture of a fox online and printed it out and taped it to the inside of our bedroom window, and we never had him hitting a window again! :D

They can sing well, but they just aren't very bright, I guess. :)

MandMaud

Robins are really inquisitive and intelligent, more than other small birds I think. He/she has probably just seen you coming and going from the porch and wanted to know what was inside. :)

We have a touring caravan parked on a seasonal plot and we regularly have a robin that was coming into the awning, happily making itself at home but pooing all over stuff. I came face to face with it one morning, scaring me and the Robin and ended up letting it out through the main awning door because it couldn't find the gap where it was coming in from. The awning has been took down now for the winter but the Robin is still hanging around where it was. Luckily lots of people on the caravan park have bird feeders so the birds are always well fed.

I just love the feeling of forming a personal relationship with a wild creature, personally! Or even just getting to know one
by observing it, even if it doesn't see me as an individual too. But I'm getting daily joy from this robin's interest in me. :)

As CN suggests, crushed eggshells are great for compost. How do the sea witches use them to sink boats? I have a vague memory of that one, must look back at the sea legends books I spent a lot of time with in my childhood. Definitely do make that list. It would be a winner like those books of old wives' garden lore, kitchen lore, etc.

There are the flocking robins of north America, shaped like our blackbirds (thrush family), brown with a red tummy. Then there are the smaller British robins famliar on Christmas cards, solitary birds, very round with a very thin beak which is almost needle-like (an insect-eater's beak); red throat/chest (the French 'rouge-gorge' means 'red throat'). And one of the most beautiful songs; even their alarm calls aren't harsh.

I don't know the temperament of the flocking kind but I gather they migrate? Ours are thought of as British birds though some are seasonal, we have more in the winter as they spend summers in Scandinavia, and others are here year-round. But people don't know that, we all think they just live here. ;) Very territorial, I read that Britain is divided into a patchwork of robins' personal territories, every inch belonging to a robin but none overlapping as each is very strict about defending his patch! I shouldn't just be saying "his" because they're also one of the few small birds in which the female also sings (and of course most birdsong is about seeing rivals off; we have fences and hedges, they have song).

Anyway to get back on topic - not quite about birds entering the house, but indoors - I know one garden centre with a café/restaurant that's always full of small birds, mainly finches - not unusual around café tables which are a good source of crumbs, but this is indoors. I've never seen anyone seeming to mind. And what I can't make sense of is that the floor isn't covered with bird poo. :D

I was thinking again about the meaning when we have an encounter with a bird. I've always heard they bring messages, but then was thinking as I would "drill down" into the possibilities for a card that was tricky to interpret. I thought, surely, migratory birds would relate to paths that we can follow by instinct - knowledge that doesn't use the intellect but which we "just know" bypassing thought - and perhaps life being on its ordained path, the rightness of things moving inevitably in their proper direction, like the sense of the Star card which uses that "everything has its time" sense. Am I making sense to anyone? When this occurred to me it felt intuitively more natural ("right") to me than the messenger thing - maybe that's just for me though.

And recently read about the eagle (from which other raptors): a wide overview combined with an eye for detail. I'm used to thinking of those as mutually exclusive but of course a bird of prey combines them. I've been seeing a kestrel a lot in the last few days... :)