Blogging Tips

IheartTarot

bodhran said:
I think I've figured out how to get rid of most of the ads on LJ (after 4 months), so I'll probably stick with it for awhile. Plus I'm a chicken about trying to transfer the blogs over.:D LJ is not fancy, but it works for me.

I understand and don't blame you. I did not exactly do any research when I started so I am glad it worked out ok for me. I wanted to leave a comment on a blogspot one day and had to create a google/Blogger profile to do so. It prompted me to start a blog and the next minute I was blogging. :bugeyed:

bodhran said:
Have you found that you have a new understanding of tarot from blogging about the cards? It's really pushed me a bit to see them in new ways.

I do not use Tarot all that much these days but I am working my way back to it slowly. Last year I learnt Lenormand, PCO and runes and was focussing on those systems.

It is helping me to grow. Blogging gives me motivation and discipline to study and practice and experiment, and to do it better than if no-one were watching. There is virtually no-one I know IRL who has much interest in metaphysics or divination and doing something on one's own is really not much fun. :(

I also believe on a metaphysical level that there is something magical about putting one's aspirations, desires and gratitude in writing and out there. I am very glad if it helps and inspires others too. :)

bodhran said:
I think all you have to do if you ever want to leave a comment on LJ is just use the Anonymous setting (then you have to type the squiggly Captcha words).

Thanks, I have been able to leave comments on LJ but I haven't been able to subscribe by email to further comments on a post. (At the bottom of each Blogger post there is usually a link "subscribe by email" that you can click if you want to be notified of any further comments, although it does disappear occasionally which is one of the quirks of Blogger I am now used to. Wordpress allows you to subscribe to further comments when you make a comment. This enables the reader to have a two-way "conversation" with the blogger.).

bodhran said:
Thanks for all your help and for starting this thread!!!

Thanks for your support bodhran! I hope that more people will ask questions and offer advice. I have learnt a few tricks with html and images (thanks Marina!) so maybe I can help if others get stuck and vice-versa.

BodhiSeed

IheartTarot said:
It is helping me to grow. Blogging gives me motivation and discipline to study and practice and experiment, and to do it better than if no-one were watching. There is virtually no-one I know IRL who has much interest in metaphysics or divination and doing something on one's own is really not much fun.
Absolutely agree with you!:D

kwaw

I use blogger because it is so easy to use - but access to blogger has been blocked in Turkey recently due to some copyright infringements (apparently bloggers have been using blogger to stream premier football matches - so the television companies over here who pay huge amounts for said rights complained and got blogger access blocked) : so I have been mirroring links to tumblr too so my turkish friends can access.

IheartTarot

kwaw said:
I use blogger because it is so easy to use - but access to blogger has been blocked in Turkey recently due to some copyright infringements (apparently bloggers have been using blogger to stream premier football matches - so the television companies over here who pay huge amounts for said rights complained and got blogger access blocked) : so I have been mirroring links to tumblr too so my turkish friends can access.

That is very sad, I hope they find a solution soon. :(

I have not heard of "mirroring" a blog before, good to know it can be done. :)

kwaw

IheartTarot said:
That is very sad, I hope they find a solution soon. :(

I have not heard of "mirroring" a blog before, good to know it can be done. :)

Not sure whether that is the correct technical term - basically tumblr automatically imports any posts from my blogger (I still am access it by use of openDNS, anonymous IP and various other dodge arounds - but it makes the whole experience something of a pain.)

MusicalPisces

bodhran said:
IheartTarot, I'll be watching this thread with interest as I'm a newbie at blogging. By the way, I thought your website was lovely! I'm using Livejournal, which is free, but the constant ads (especially the one that pops up at the beginning!) is tedious!
Excellent suggestions jema!

I just started blogging as well!!! I'm brand new to it and I'm really glad you started this thread IhearTarot. I shall be watching it as well :)

For me personally, what keeps me going back to a blog is simple; good writing. If the blogger's style of writing doesn't suit me or keep me interested, I get bored. But if it's really enjoyable, then I stay with it! :)

IheartTarot

MusicalPisces said:
I just started blogging as well!!! I'm brand new to it and I'm really glad you started this thread IhearTarot. I shall be watching it as well :)

For me personally, what keeps me going back to a blog is simple; good writing. If the blogger's style of writing doesn't suit me or keep me interested, I get bored. But if it's really enjoyable, then I stay with it! :)

Thanks and welcome to blogland MusicalPisces! I think yours might be the first Tarot blog I have seen by someone who is new to Tarot and it will be interesting to watch you learn. (BTW I still consider myself a beginner after 4 years and I don't think we ever stop learning with Tarot. I sometimes feel I should start from the beginning again with fresh eyes.)

MusicalPisces

IheartTarot said:
Thanks and welcome to blogland MusicalPisces! I think yours might be the first Tarot blog I have seen by someone who is new to Tarot and it will be interesting to watch you learn. (BTW I still consider myself a beginner after 4 years and I don't think we ever stop learning with Tarot. I sometimes feel I should start from the beginning again with fresh eyes.)

I can see where that would be the case...
I'm really excited about my blog because I don't really know anyone who's into tarot, so I'm really pumped to have a place to write my experiences with it. And I have two followers now!! Woot!! haha It's all very exciting :p

I really like your blog!! I've just begun reading some of it, so I'll be following yours. I love reading other people's experiences with tarot. I think you can learn a lot from other's experiences and readings, not just your own. :)

Bernice

IheartTarot said:
I wasn't sure where to post this thread so I looked for a definition of a blog and found this one here:

"a hybrid medium somewhere between broadcast and print"

I will therefore assume that a blog is a medium and that a Tarot-related blog falls under Tarot Books & Media.
Blog = used to be Web Log. Used in the early online days. They're have bells & whistles now and some people use them as public diaries.....

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so if anyone else has posted this info. please excuse that I haven't acknowledged you.

Bee :)

IheartTarot

Bernice said:
Blog = used to be Web Log. Used in the early online days. They're have bells & whistles now and some people use them as public diaries.....

:thumbsup:

I never thought I would have one. :D

We live in interesting times. :)