Books vs. No books

Scion

Umbrae said:
Reading books – is not equivalent to a ‘high ground’ (and no I’m not saying that anybody is taking that stance). :cool2:
mbrae, with all due respect... no one has suggested that readiing books is high ground except you. }) Banning or burning, approving and condemning books are other things that no one else has suggested... except you. :) Is there something you aren't telling us...

I don't believe in high ground in this situation. I believe in ground.

gregory

I don't think that's what Umbrae meant. I don't think he meant to "challenge" anyone in the thread in that sense. I think what he means is please don't go for me like you (generic) have in other threads - he has had a rough time in places here, saying things like books are not the be-all.... I said them too, but no-one hit ME..... Because no-one takes me as seriously as they do Umbrae ! There's a lot to be said for everyone here already knowing you know nothing !!!!

Umbrae - if I am now wrong - feel free to send a rude PM ! :love:

Alta

Moderator note:

Hi folks,

Try and back away from turning your points into pointed objects.

I recognize that this is a topic that generally arouses strong opinions, just kindly keep in mind that opinions are just that, different ways of seeing and experiencing the world. That is, try not to see that others don't share your view as invalidating your life.

Marion
co-Moderator
Talking Tarot

gregory

Well said Marion - I hope I interpreted Umbrae right... we had just been here before on another thread and people were Unkind.... :D

Sophie

Why is ignorance so valued nowadays?

I have just been watching Doris Lessing on the Beeb. An island of sanity, wisdom and knowledge in a sea of vacuous ignorance. Oh, and she likes books, for those who might not have heard of her. :thumbsup: for the Nobel committee who approved of hers.

As for banning books - I don't understand the argument. There is no ONE book, that was the point of my original question to Solitaire - which book? Not even a tarot deck is a single book. My 78 pages might not be the same as yours. And thank the goddess for that! We need many many good books, many different authors and types of knowledge, to make a wise and knowledgeable world - and we need people to read and love books to keep the world sane.

I once had a nightwatchman in Zimbabwe who read my entire library - what I had out there. He couldn't read enough books. He said they gave him hope and helped him understand the world. He'd left school at 14. He came from an oral culture - and he understood both its virtues and its limits.

This question - books/no books would not even be asked in a culture where books are so difficult to come by and expensive that each is valued like a jewel - or more than a jewel: a piece of living magic.

As for parrotting books: there will always be parrots in life. I don't see the difference between people who parrot the vox pop, the voices in their heads, their neighbours, or the books they read. But on the whole, reading books does teach us discrimination, including in tarot reading. It's not enough to have flashes of intuition: you have to understand them and place them in context.

Grizabella

I think just about everyone understood that by "the book" I meant "any book".

I can see where this whole thread is going to end up and I choose not to participate, so I'm off to elsewhere. :)

Sophie

Solitaire* said:
I think just about everyone understood that by "the book" I meant "any book".
"Any" is still singular - and the point I'm making is that books, and the knowledge, wisdom and discrimination they teach us, are plural and pluralistic. That's their great value, and why we can't do without them. Reliance on any one source - whether your own intuition, one teacher or *any* one book or type of book - is dangerous and leads at best to narrow-minded ignorance: at worst to fundamentalism.

gregory

I don't value ignorance at all; I read voraciously, and I hate being iognorant in AY area; it means I read some horrible books just to understand things people are saying....

But I don't find the books I read about tarot help ME with reading,though they do help others. And I think that was the original question - whether they do or don't. Not whether reading them is a waste of time in and of itself.

Satori

Well part of the question was do we rely solely on research. And I think everything is research, whether we call it by that name or not. Hence my astoundingly astute and meaningFul post earlier in the thread!

I mean, are we not researching being human by running constant experiments in communication? This thread sure shows several of us are running some very interesting research projects in communication!!! :)

Scion

Which gets us back to the root problem with the original question: Books or no books, how do study and intuition assist/impede each other. It's an impossible question to answer because it is subjective (see my memoir commment above) and it's an impossible question to ask unless we all decide on a basic definition of terms, which apparently no one ever wants to do. I certainly didn't want to squash discussion by defining terms, but in asking for them I may have driven Splunge may his own thread. :(

The funny thing is, every time this question gets asked the same thing happens, a bunch of synthesis types stand in the thread saying there's no way to decide objectively knowledge is individual. And the folks who can't be bothered to think abou the terms of the question or to think about how or why/if there is a value distinction announce that it's all too abstract and flee.

And this is why I find this question fascinating and frustrating, boring and bristly. :) Because it's never really a question and it turns in one of two directions: it's either a group of people patting each other on the back and saying do what feels best or a group of people wanting to talk about the hairsplitting, angels-on-pinheads definition of knowledge and training and value. Which is a totally worthwhile conversation and interesting, but will inevitably get people riled up and annoy the mods because it's a philosophical discussion that's hard to direct at Tarot specifically. :)

True or not true?

:)

Scion