boulimia

reine de saba

I had someone consult yesterday concerning this problem. We read with Nigel Jackson and in a generally coin-heavy reading (and the deck often associates bales of wheat w/coins) she drew the 5/coins Rx for the boulimia itself, which I found very interesting, as images go.

In this deck a family begs on a street, bowl in hand. There is no, church, more what seems to be an inn beside/behind them. As though to say she feels starved for something and begs food of herself, fills up, but as it's not really food she's looking for she can't "keep" it (like a sieve), she continues to feel starved and continues to beg food of herself.

Thought that might be useful to put out there

anyone else have an experience w/ particular cards reading for this?

-saba

Thirteen

reine de saba said:
I had someone consult yesterday concerning this problem. We read with Nigel Jackson and in a generally coin-heavy reading (and the deck often associates bales of wheat w/coins) she drew the 5/coins Rx for the boulimia itself, which I found very interesting, as images go.

In this deck a family begs on a street, bowl in hand. There is no, church, more what seems to be an inn beside/behind them. As though to say she feels starved for something and begs food of herself, fills up, but as it's not really food she's looking for she can't "keep" it (like a sieve), she continues to feel starved and continues to beg food of herself.
But you had it rx. In the picture, the rich are turning away from these people. The opposite would be the rich going toward them, giving them money. And the bowls are up--but rx the bowls would be "upside-down." The beggars keep them turned so that nothing can go into them. So people keep tossing alms into bowls that are upside down and can't hold them.

Seems very apt to me. Boulimia is not about a person trying to feed themselves, someone with nothing, but rather a person with an abundance who regrets it and tries to get rid of it. It is a person who feels like abundance (getting fat) is shameful and wrong and every time they feel "full" they hate themselves.

The boulimic is the opposite of the person in the picture--she/he is not poor and begging for food. She/he has as much food as they want, and they fill their bowls up when they like. They just keep turning it upside-down every time it's full, pouring it down the drain.

reine de saba

Thirteen said:
Boulimia is not about a person trying to feed themselves, someone with nothing, but rather a person with an abundance who regrets it and tries to get rid of it. It is a person who feels like abundance (getting fat) is shameful and wrong and every time they feel "full" they hate themselves.

To add: My sitter, who also drew the Sun, had a good clear light on her illness, and knew that the body image was a secondary symptom. Her reading indicated that the root of the problem was a sense of limits and self-nurture gone awry (She drew King/Queen of coins for Loss/Mistake) -as she hadn't gotten a certain kind of inner-feeding from her mother, she tried to make up for it in literally feeding herself. As that was not really what her ecosystem was asking for, though, she kept rejecting what she'd just "begged". And so felt empty, and so the circle repeats.

I don't know if this would work for a more literal visual quote of RWS, but here, at least, it did seem very apt.

Thanks for your thoughts, Thirteen

re-pete-a

Health question,Rws 5 pents Rv, she is returning to her health , though it will mean much work before Results are achieved,some successes along the road to recovery. Though must admit that boulimia would not be known from the card.
________

Thirteen

reine de saba said:
To add: My sitter, who also drew the Sun, had a good clear light on her illness, and knew that the body image was a secondary symptom. Her reading indicated that the root of the problem was a sense of limits and self-nurture gone awry
Bulimia, like anorexia, is often an illness about control. The girl (usually the person is female) is raised in a family that tends to assert a lot of control over her and her life. Controlling her eating and her body empowers her.

That said, there is also a potential genetic component involved in the disease--many anorexics and bulimia have relatives with the same problem--and most certainly ways in which the change in body chemistry keeps the bulimic/anorexia doing what they're doing. There is, if you will, a naturally induced "chemical" dependency of sorts. And, of course, once a person gets hooked or reliant on a certain action (very like OCD) it's difficult for them to break it.

Body image often is secondary though not irrelevant, as bulimics and anorexics find it nearly impossible to look in the mirror and see their true body shape.

bluecaffeine

bulimia

IMO the five coins are a sign for: she wants to give up bulimia for financial reasons. It is in fact an expensive illness, some people steal food, when they have not enough money. But only for material reasons she won't give up bulimia in the end.

Demon Goddess

I read for someone on Thursday who may or may not be bulimic but is dealing with anorexia, and I got the King of Cups (Rx) representing the addiction to me.

MareSaturni

I find it interesting that the card is reversed...because then the bowls are upside-down...they are 'spilling' their contents, just like a bulimic gets rid of the contents of her stomach by throwing up. Seems like a metaphor to me.