Bruegel Tarot anyone?

contrascarpe

I just picked up this deck and this is one that is just screaming for a study group.

Anyone remotely interested in medieval art would enjoy this. I have been wanting to pick up the Bosch deck for some time, but this one pleases me on many levels. The scenes depicted on all cards, major and minor, are extraordinary.

Unfortunately, the LWB is typical Lo Scarabeo - written in so many languages that the meanings are short. In this case, there is a relevant theme as each card contains a proverb which was important to Bruegel (keeping in mind he was a student of Bosch). The divinitory meanings are very sparse, however.

Anyone else own this deck? If so, would it be worth discussing here?

Dan

Orion

!!!!!

I just bought this deck... but it hasn't arrived yet! I should get it by Monday though. :)

SongDeva

Contrascarpe, I only just pm'd you about how I'd look at this deck on Aeclectic. I think it's great, and now here you are giving me another reason to buy it. I hold you personally resonsible if I break down and buy this deck, just so you know.
I already have two others on the way, for Pete's sake. In fact, I came into this forum to find a group for one of them. lol

contrascarpe

SongDeva -

The group we belong to is Tarot Deck Buyers Anonymous, lol.

Orion - I usually never comment because I know everyone's tastes vary, but if you like this type of art at all, I think you will be pleased. The cards are just so "busy" and brimming with life. The first thing I noticed that on the minors, there is an equal number of people on the card to match the number. There may be a couple of exceptions, but I haven't had much time to really look at the deck yet.

The majors are unique in that the primary picture is in color while the background is in a less subtle color. The suits are themed with a season. I can't wait to get home this weekend and have some down time to really delve into the deck.

Enjoy!
Dan

poivre

I was going to order this deck at the store where I buy my cards. I picked Leonardo da Vinci Tarot over this one because I wanted something soft looking & plain to see how I would read them.
I will get this next, just because it looks fun. I must go from one extreme to another.

Hope you post your thoughts after you get looking into the deck.

contrascarpe

I spent a little time with the deck last evening. There is so much detail in these cards that I cannot comprehend any one card fully. Somehow, I find it a refreshing change from the standard RWS clones. The only one in that genre that has captivated me as much is the Tarot of Prague - another deck with many little wonderful mysteries.

For example, I am pulling a card at random right now and will describe everything I see at first glance:

I picked the nine of chalices. Like all chalices in the deck, it is a winter scene. In the foreground to the right appears to be an older couple, each brandishing two chalices and smiling at each other. To their left is an angel who is smiling dreamily to her right, maybe looking off-card, maybe looking athe the golden pot at the base of her feet. She is dressed in a blue robe with a blue wreath upon her head, and wearing a bright sun ornament on her chest. She seems to be pointing to the scene behind her, or perhaps at the couple mentioned above. Behind her slightly to her left are three people, two are people of undetermined wealth and one is Jesus. They each hold a chalice except for Jesus who holds two. Directly behind the angel stands a man in the cold river, holding a fan and apparently shouting at the sky. Further behind him are two more people with their backs to us, both dressed in blue and wearing tan, wide-brimmed hats. They are both also holding objects skyward - the one on the left is holding a hat identical to the one she/he is wearing, the other is holding a stick with a green snake intertwined. They are both walking on a snow-covered path. Finally, amongst the low level mountains in the back sits a castle on a rocky ridge.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I was hoping to illustrate how these cards are layed out. Unlike many decks, I think I could sit down with each one and write a detailed story about it. I probably even missed some imagery here, and some of the other cards have even more little nuances that are fun to discover. Also, it shows a unique aspect of this card when compared to the standard RWS decks - each of those decks would have nine chalices, but this deck also had nine people. I am sure there is some significance there somehow.

I also found it interesting that I picked the nine of chalices. In a standard deck, this is considered the "wish" card. In the brief description in the LWB, that is also implied (I hesitate copying the verbiage from the book - not sure if copyright laws apply here). However, this is one of the few cards I totally disliked in RWS. Something about that smarmy little man hording all those cups that annoyed me.

I may start posting card studies here as time permits - hopefully more people will join in as we go on.

Dan

poivre

Thanks, I'll never look at the wish card the same again!
Never thought of the smarmy guy that way, just like he was taking a lot of space with his happiness.

gloria

Hi Dan....this is my first visit to General....and am so pleased to find another lover of the Bruegel deck.
A study group would be great as there is so much detail on the cards to delve in to.
I know another member who would also be very interested.
Can't say I have read with it yet...as I am still very much attached to Rider Waite, but feel sure it would be a very readable deck.
Gloria.

contrascarpe

Gloria -

Glad to see others out there have discovered this deck. I think with time, this could develop into a great reading deck. I am just not there yet.

Perhaps we can kick things off by posting a card at a time with our observations. Since there is no book (besides the LWB) we can post without worrying about mimicing the author's intent - this is a strictly freeform deck and I am sure that everybody will see something different.

Have you noticed that some cards have images with hard-to-make-out details? Those will be the ones which will benefit the most from an exchange of ideas.

As time permits (hopefully later tonight or sometime tomorrow), I will pick a card at random and post my initial observations under a separate thread, unless someone else wants to get the ball rolling.

I look forward to the exploring and sharing of ideas for this nice little deck.

Dan

spoonbender

I know another member who would also be very interested.
Could that be me :D? (I hope it is me, else I would look pretty darn stupid :))

I'd love to see a study group on the Bruegel! I think this is a great idea, Dan - like you said, the cards are just screaming for a study group. I think this deck would be really worth it.

I've only done one "reading" with it - well I just drew one card - but it was really accurate!

I have to admit, though, that I didn't do to good with the last study group I joined here (World Spirit)... I was just too busy with other stuff to have the time to post here :(... but I promise I'll try to this time!

I'd love to see this idea come through!

many regards,
Spoonbender