Can i use tarot to recall my childhood memory?

ohjani

i tend to have a fearful feeling whenever i encounter my childhood's memories. i didnt remember i had any bad incidents during my childhood (in fact, i think i had a pretty happy times), but from time to time, when i saw my childhood's story books, my toys, some old photos and etc, i'll tend to have a fearful feeling. i dont know where are those feelings come from, but anything that related to my childhood will cause me feeling bad, depress, stress and fearful.

i would like to find an explanation to this (other than looking for hynotizing therapies), can i use tarot to unfold my sub-conscious fears? if yes, what spread should i use?

Marua

Interesting question.
I have no idea. I never tried. I suppose so. It never hurts to try, but how to do it... Hmmm...
Look at the spreads section. Maybe there is a Past Spread, or Childhood Spread. You can use the search function, instead of looking at all the threads. That would take forever. :)

Grizabella

If this is causing you so much fear and so many unpleasant feelings, maybe it's not something you should do alone with just tarot cards. Maybe you might want to do it with a professional. Sometimes dredging up those memories is extremely difficult and traumatic.

As to whether you can do it or not, I suppose you could if you tried and if you found the right deck for it.

Northwind

Childhood memories seem to begin when the child begins to feel separation or autonomy in the family. People born in the the astrological *air* signs seem to have a feeing of separation a little earlier than others. They are Gemini, Aquarius and Libra. Of course, there are many other factors at play here as well.

People born in the *water* signs may not have this feeling of autonomy early in life and may absorb all the vibes of the family, even though some of them may be quite harmless or misunderstood.

I simply mention this to indicate that there may be various explanations for your unease. Does the anxiety really bother you acutely? I very much doubt that Tarot would give you an accurate explanation for a direct question on this, especially if you are reading for yourself.

Having said that, journalling as a way of gaining insight into your *self* over a period of time may provide some good insights as to the source of your anxiety. It may ultimately be something quite simple.

Many blessings on your path :).

SunChariot

ohjani said:
i tend to have a fearful feeling whenever i encounter my childhood's memories. i didnt remember i had any bad incidents during my childhood (in fact, i think i had a pretty happy times), but from time to time, when i saw my childhood's story books, my toys, some old photos and etc, i'll tend to have a fearful feeling. i dont know where are those feelings come from, but anything that related to my childhood will cause me feeling bad, depress, stress and fearful.

i would like to find an explanation to this (other than looking for hynotizing therapies), can i use tarot to unfold my sub-conscious fears? if yes, what spread should i use?

I would say yes. I have done some things like that. Tarot somehow reaches your unconscious. And all the experiences we have had in our lives our still housed in our unconsious.

I don't think it matters what spread you use. I usually don't use spreads. A series of interrelated questions, one built upon the next ought to do it. YOu can pull as many cards per question as you feel like. The questions themselves would be very important as well as the deck. As Tarot answers questions very literally. And the imagery of each deck works differently (at least if you read as I do).

The Symbolon deck is wonderful for that. In fact it says in the LWB that it is designed to help you remember the past, even past lives. It may be OOP now, I am not sure. And I would do the reading myself as you know your past better than any other reader.

But there is the other side of this. Honestly it sounds like you may be talking about a repressed memory. Are you sure you want to face it alone. If it is something you have repressed, it would likely be something very traumatic. We only supress what it too painful to handle if we remember it. If you found the answer it might be quite traumatic for you and difficult to handle. It might not be something you want to face alone.

Babs

ohjani

Northwind said:
Childhood memories seem to begin when the child begins to feel separation or autonomy in the family. People born in the the astrological *air* signs seem to have a feeing of separation a little earlier than others. They are Gemini, Aquarius and Libra. Of course, there are many other factors at play here as well.

yeah .. i'm a Libran ... :)

actually those memories doesnt really affect me much, from time to time, it only appears when i encountered my childhood stuff. honestly, it really doesnt matter that much (not until the point where i need to seek for professional assistance), but since i'm on my way learning tarot, thus i'm curious how tarot will tell me the answer.

i really dont think i had a traumatic experience before, at least i dont recall any scenes that were traumatic. i think it's more like a feeling inside myself, it's more like a subconscious mentally negative feeling rather than physically having any bad experience.

whenever i saw those toys and books now, my feeling will fall back to the time when i were holding them while i was young, the book itself didnt give me any bad experience physically, but it's the feeling of holding it makes me depress.

Northwind

It may be worth your while having a natal chart reading from a good astrologer.
It will reveal much about the energies which influence your life.

There could be many explanations of the unease you feel but if it is not crippling perhaps let if unfold :). Perhaps it could be something very simple indeed.

connegrl

I don't really have to time to do this question justice. But, here goes. Any unprocessed emotion that you have experienced will be held in your body. Things that we have experienced in childhood have a way of living in our shadows. We do certain things and we don't necessarily know why we do them. Then there are repressed memories. If they are repressed you don't know you have them. But, you may have holes in your memory time line. Those repressed memories are causing you to behave in ways that you might not be aware of. Sometimes we are aware of 'triggers', like your childhood toys or books. If you are being triggered, you have unprocessed emotions that need to be expressed. Take grief for example. Grieve now or grieve later, but you will grieve. I found myself grieving over loses from when I was 8 yrs old. Now, mind you they were a big deal and I was never shown how to grieve or say good bye. I had to learn that as an adult.

I would caution you on using the Tarot to access these possible memories. A guide/mentor/professional can help you best. The mind doesn't like pain and avoids fear. You bring stuff up before you have laid a foundation and you might feel like commiting yourself to a funny farm. No joke. Using the tarot and journaling can help you pin point your behaviors tho. Once you understand your behavior you can start looking at what caused you to develop those behaviors. Maybe you like those behaviors just fine, maybe you find that they need to change. Maybe you decide that you want to delve deeper and seek a professional to help. We get to this kind of deep work when we're ready.

Speaking from experience,

Jen

SunChariot

ohjani said:
yeah .. i'm a Libran ... :)

actually those memories doesnt really affect me much, from time to time, it only appears when i encountered my childhood stuff. honestly, it really doesnt matter that much (not until the point where i need to seek for professional assistance), but since i'm on my way learning tarot, thus i'm curious how tarot will tell me the answer.

i really dont think i had a traumatic experience before, at least i dont recall any scenes that were traumatic. i think it's more like a feeling inside myself, it's more like a subconscious mentally negative feeling rather than physically having any bad experience.

whenever i saw those toys and books now, my feeling will fall back to the time when i were holding them while i was young, the book itself didnt give me any bad experience physically, but it's the feeling of holding it makes me depress.

Well no, if you had a repressed memory you wouldn't recall it or anything about it. if what you were repressing were traumatic, that means you would have no memory of it. That is what means it's repressed. And we don't usually repress happy memories, it's the ones we can't deal with. There is likely something troubling there. The fact that you have these feelings though and cannot place any memory to them of anything bad that happened to create them, makes is seem like there is something repressed there.

I can understand that it doesn't bother you now, but when you find the reason for these feelings it could be troubling to you. If it was bad enough that you have the feeling, but don't remember why...

I am sure Tarot could unearth it for you. Either the Symbolon deck or the Inner Child cards maybe too. But you never know what you might find. If it depresses and frightens you even just a bit now when you don't know what it is, it will have a stronger effect once you do. You might find you do need help with it afterwards. Although it might be best to know. I know I would be curious if it were me.

Babs

gorgeousbutterfly

"Childhood memories seem to begin when the child begins to feel separation or autonomy in the family. People born in the the astrological *air* signs seem to have a feeing of separation a little earlier than others. They are Gemini, Aquarius and Libra. Of course, there are many other factors at play here as well."

-wow, that is very weird, my first every memory is when i was a very little baby, i always thought how the hell do i remember and consequently i was crying and calling my mom. intresting to know now why.