Can someone recommend a Marseilles deck for a first-timer?

Promise

After trying to escape it's grasp for far too long, I've decided to take the plunge and invest in a Marseilles deck. For a very long time, I brushed it off as archaic and ugly and just plain useless. I thought, "I have my RWS decks, what more could I need?"

Something clicked in my yesterday, and I suddenly have this strong interest in a Marseilles deck. I want to STUDY a deck, honestly study it. I've been so accustomed to the RWS system that when I get a new deck, I never really have to study it. Sure, I might read the book, and I might go through the cards a few times and take a hard look at them, but it's all based on the same things, and on the same basic system of meanings.

I'm ready to take the plunge, I believe, but I honestly have no CLUE which deck would be the "best" to get. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get a Marseilles that I have room to grow into, one that I can use for a long time to come.

lark

We live in a great age for Marseilles decks I think...I own 12 of them now.
I think that a great first deck would be the Noblet.
So beautifully done ...the art, the crisp colors, the card stock...the perfect size of the deck...you can't go wrong starting out with this one it's a gem.
http://www.tarotgarden.com/boutique/onlinecatalog.php?view_title=Jean+Noblet+Tarot&pageenter=0

If that is not to your liking go here http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/marseilles.shtml and do some comparison looking...like with every other deck choice it is what attracts you...
I am very partial to the Heron deck and it is a photo reproduction of a deck in a museum...it appeals to me because it feels old like I am holding a part of history when I use it.
But it's what appeals to you... good luck and let us know what you chose.

Promise

I am very drawn to the Jean Noblet, but I am rather uninformed when it comes Marseilles decks, so I've got no idea what is "beginner friendly" and what isn't. I should add that I am also a pretty rough shuffler, so I need something on sturdy stock. I've been known to ruin especially fragile decks quite by accident simply due to the way I shuffle.

On the other hand, I do love the aged look of the Heron. It looks antique and worldly, and I love things like that. I can't find a source for it other than Tarot Garden though, and they're out of stock.

I'll definitely have to keep it in mind, though.

Thank you for your suggestions!

VGimlet

I second the Flornoy Noblet. I studied the Marseille decks for a year, without connecting with them. After I was done, I was like, "whew, done with that, back to regular decks".

Then the Noblet came along. :D For me, this was the first Marseilles deck I had a connection with. You also might want to check out the Judorowsky-Camoin (sp.?).

lark

Of all 12 of the decks I own the Noblet has the sturdiest card stock...it's made to last a life time and I think it will age very well and stand up to some heavy duty shuffling..

I don't know if there is really a beginner deck...
To be really simple here there are really three kinds of Marseille decks.
1. photo reproductions... example...Heron, Dodal, Thunderbay, LoScarebeo
2. faithful redrawings of those reproductions..example...Noblet, Grimauld
3. redrawings with changes added because of the artists personal view...example... Hadar, Jodorowsky Camoin

It depends on what you feel comfortable with..as a beginner I would stick with something pure and Noblet is as pure as you can get next to a photo reproduction....and the colors are crisp and the detail and line easy to see and study.

P.S. I had to get my Heron from Alida...but it was easy and they ship fast .
http://www.alidastore.com/indexen.html

Promise

lark,

You've been an incredible help! I was really pining for the Noblet, but as I said, I'm a total virgin when it comes to Marseilles decks, and I really wasn't confident that it was going to be a good choice.

I think that just about seals it for me, although I'd be more than interested to hear what suggestions or opinions anyone else has. The more I look at them, the more interested in the Marseilles I become. It just seems so pure, if that makes sense.

Abrac

There are a lot of Marseille decks out there, but all the ones I like best aren't available right now, at least in the US. The Fournier might be a good way to go. It's based on a classic Marseille design. It is a nice size for shuffling and made of sturdy stock. House of Tarot has the latest version, which has been recolored and looks pretty nice.

jmd

Personally, given the opening comment of Promise that "I want to STUDY a deck, honestly study it", I would suggest that an early exemplar would provide a deeper appreciation for the style. Thing is, whichever deck is selected, the study will also require its comparison to other TdMs.

Fortunately, many images of the key TdMs are also available online.

For a study, then, and if obtaining only one deck, I would personally opt for the Noblet - images can be seen at le_pendu's http://www.tarothistory.com/noblet.html

le pendu

I adore the Noblet. Take a look at the court cards that JMD linked to... to me they are full of life, and humor... even the horses have character. It's bawdy, and playful; and the quality just can't be beat.

Years of effort went into producing this deck. I can't recommend it highly enough.

elvenstar

Well, if you're pining for the Noblet, I say go for it. I'm as far from expert as you can get really, so I'm saying this from an absolute beginner to another :) I find it friendly and very accessible!