Cards That Bring Out the Negative

GoddessArtemis

I don't read reversals, but I know that each card has it's positive/negative side, so I take that into consideration when interpreting readings. If you're not sure if a card is negative or not and pull a clarifier card, can the clarifier make the meaning negative?

For example, if you pull a court card (e.g., King of Wands) and clarify him with the Devil, is that the bad side of the King coming out?

GA

willowfox

I suppose if you are asking on a personal level about the King then the devil would show that he has nasty hidden qualities.

GoddessArtemis

willowfox said:
I suppose if you are asking on a personal level about the King then the devil would show that he has nasty hidden qualities.
So a card like the Devil does bring out the bad qualities of a card?

GA

willowfox

As the devil is depicted as an unsavoury guy then he would bring forth the bad side of a person or situation, at least put a bad tint on the proceedings.

Sinduction

I always use dignity for that since I don't read reversals either.

Fire and Air, Water and Earth, are friendly
Fire and Earth, Air and Water, are neutral
Fire and Water, Air and Earth, are unfriendly

Devil is Earth, King of Wands is Air/Fire so you've got Earth which is unfriendly with Air, and also Earth with Fire is neutral.

So you've got the devil rooted in earthly things and a king that's all about air/fire. This means the passive earth will support the fire. Also separation, the air will rise above the earth. In essence making this guy quite powerful in a destructive sort of way.

I have a longer list of dignity if you want me to pm it. It's more in depth. I also have a dignity list for the majors if you want that as well. :)

GoddessArtemis

Sinduction said:
I always use dignity for that since I don't read reversals either.

Fire and Air, Water and Earth, are friendly
Fire and Earth, Air and Water, are neutral
Fire and Water, Air and Earth, are unfriendly

Devil is Earth, King of Wands is Air/Fire so you've got Earth which is unfriendly with Air, and also Earth with Fire is neutral.

So you've got the devil rooted in earthly things and a king that's all about air/fire. This means the passive earth will support the fire. Also separation, the air will rise above the earth. In essence making this guy quite powerful in a destructive sort of way.

I have a longer list of dignity if you want me to pm it. It's more in depth. I also have a dignity list for the majors if you want that as well. :)
Oh, wow...I had to re-read this several times, and I don't know if I still got it. :) It's kind of like math to me. So Kings are Air of Fire...I get that. The Devil is Earth (Capricorn). Earth is neutral with the King's fire; it's unfriendly with the Air aspect. What makes the Air and Earth unfriendly? How does Earth affect Air? I'd think it'd be neurtlra, too. If Air is thoughts (like Swords), and Fire is action (like Wands)...the King is a person who acts on his thoughts. So what aspect of the Devil's Earth dignity negatively impact the Air aspect? I never knew Earth and Air don't mix.

Did my question make sense? :) It's late and I'm tired...so I hope I didn't confuse the issue more.

And if we're going by astrological aspects of cards, I can figure out the dignities. If it's different than that then, yes please, pm that to me!

GA

The crowned one

The five of swords is one of the few cards I think could be negative, but even it has two sides...the winner and the losers...we choose our own interpretation.

Everything becomes interpretive and intuitive shortly after the "beginning" readers level where we need to set definitions..not guide lines..to me, and then when you beat that hurdle the decks come to life and go wide open...now we read.

MissCW

Hi Goddess, I used to really struggle with this as well, when I just used to draw random cards rather than using a spread. Now I find it a lot easier to use a set spread and if you get a bad outcome or something, then you can see which of the negative aspects of the cards are coming into play. I'm not intuitive enough yet to randomly draw and see the positive/negative difference.

I once got (when I just used to pull a few cards) King Wands/Devil and then the Tower. I was, as you can imagine, dreading this night! Well, turned out to be one of the best nights I ever had (but since this is a family forum, I'll leave it there!!)

It was the King Wands/Devil combo when you said it then that made me think of it. Not necessarily negative.

GoddessArtemis

MissCW said:
I once got (when I just used to pull a few cards) King Wands/Devil and then the Tower. I was, as you can imagine, dreading this night! Well, turned out to be one of the best nights I ever had (but since this is a family forum, I'll leave it there!!)
All I have to say to that card combo is: bomchickawahwah. :p

I doubt that's what mine is, though. :D

GA

Sinduction

GoddessArtemis said:
What makes the Air and Earth unfriendly? How does Earth affect Air?
It's easiest for me to think of nature. Like air is wind and earth is the ground. The air just flies around not really connecting to the earth. Air is like an idea floating around with no where to go since Earth is passive, there is no action from the Wands.

I'd think it'd be neurtral, too. If Air is thoughts (like Swords), and Fire is action (like Wands)...the King is a person who acts on his thoughts.
Here the Air feeds the Fire so this is active but only while the energy lasts, much like how a real fire while burn itself out.

And if we're going by astrological aspects of cards, I can figure out the dignities.
Yes! Use that! I will send you the list I have of how they mix. It will make you think but it's so simple!