Celestial Stick People

Adam McLean

Another thing to remember is that it is extremely difficult to market a self-published deck.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER overestimate the number of decks you will sell. Do not take the positive responses and encouragement you get on Aeclectic as an indication of definite sales. There are many cheerleaders on here, who for the best of motives like to encourage people to produce their own decks, but this positive encouragement rarely shows up as sales.

Be realistic - earlier you said you might print 1000. It would take a few lifetimes to sell 1000 copies. Instead, issue your deck as a small limited edition, numbered and signed.
I would suggest 50 copies. You might just sell these in a couple of years. The economy of scaled production just does not work with self-published tarot decks. It is best to go for an expensive small limited edition. Do not try and copy the model and prices of mass market publishers. You just cannot get any distribution into the shops or internet outlets. Only large companies can do this.

baba-prague

Adam McLean said:
You just cannot get any distribution into the shops or internet outlets. Only large companies can do this.

I agree with most of your post Adam, but it's a little too pessimistic in my opinion. Our two-person (three cats and one part-timer) company has now got pretty-much worldwide distribution. It isn't easy to achieve (it took time, persistence and a bit of luck for us), and certainly it's best to talk to some distributors before you decide on print-run - the good distributors will be open and honest about whether or not a deck interests them. But it can be done by companies that are far from large.

Adam McLean

baba-prague said:
I agree with most of your post Adam, but it's a little too pessimistic in my opinion. Our two-person (three cats and one part-timer) company has now got pretty-much worldwide distribution.

But you are not a one-deck self-publisher !

baba-prague

Adam McLean said:
But you are not a one-deck self-publisher !

But neither are we a large company. It was that part of the post that I was taking issue with. In fact we got US, UK and Czech distribution (the most important markets for us at the time) when we still were pretty much a one-deck self-publisher.

The reality is that any decent, established distributor will probably only be interested if they can see plans for other work in the pipeline (i.e. that a deck is not a once-only one-off but instead part of a publishing plan). But that does not mean you have to be large.

Marli

Asking for An Update

I realised that I have not seen any activity in this thread for quite a while and was wondering whether or not you were able to get your deck printed and what the cost is for a deck.. simply because I WANT ONE!!!:D

Or if you are making individual decks for distribution cause contingent upon the price....considered mine ordered!

Marli

Tsukiyomi

Marli said:
I realised that I have not seen any activity in this thread for quite a while and was wondering whether or not you were able to get your deck printed and what the cost is for a deck.. simply because I WANT ONE!!!:D

Or if you are making individual decks for distribution cause contingent upon the price....considered mine ordered!

Marli

I've got to add my own post to this - I want one too. Not only because I find the artwork I've seen so far to be incredibly appealing but because (and I was VERY hesitant in posting this here but then thought 'What the Hell?') I dreamt a deck like this last night. I've never seen this thread and never heard of this deck but had a very vivid dream about creating a deck for myself with a midnight-blue background and images that were reminiscent of those I saw in my childhood in something called the Good News Bible. Now while I no longer believe in what I used to read, the line drawings there had a profound effect on me - I was always impressed with how simple brush strokes could convey a story. I definitely think the same has been done here.

I WANT this deck!!

nicky

Has this deck gotten a publisher yet? Still thinking about it...

Alta

Those are charming and using Gamecrafter gets around the issues raised by Adam.