celibacy

New River

in reading all the posts in kiama's 'is virginity sacred' we learned a lot about how ppl feel about having sex.

but what about celibacy?

it was really trendy about 2 yrs. ago but now i hear practically nothing about it.

i have practiced it for up to 2 yrs. at a time and found it to be a relief not to have to think about sex at all. i did not miss it.

what about you all out there?

love, light and hope, New River

amyel

Before I met my hubby, I was celibate. At first, because I just wasn't connecting with anyone and didn't have an opportunity *not* to be. After awhile, I just didn't miss it and this allowed me the opportunity to become comfortable with myself and my friends and connections without having to deal with the sex stuff.

I found I didn't miss it after awhile, either, but that made my intimate connection with the man I married much more so (intimate), because I chose to end my self imposed celibacy with someone I found I really cared about. It was a choice made out of love, not a "thing" I did because I could...does that make any sense????

Sometimes, it would be nice to not have to worry about it ever again, but sex *is* important in a commited relationship, as I have been reminded of recently.

Kiama

I could probably remain celibate if I wasn't in a relationship because I really don't see the use of going out to a club or 'out on the pull' with the intention of having a one night stand just for the sex. I would prefer to wait for a relationshp.

I don't think I could stay celibate if I was in a relationship though! (Had to do it for a week whilst I was away from boyf... VERY difficult. Got home, could've ravaged him! He didn't know quite what had hit him, but wasn't too upset.. ;) )

So, there you go. Yes if no relationship, BIG NO if in a relationship.

Kiama

aciddragon

My two cents on this is I think it's easier for a female to go without sex then a male. But what the heck do I know. :) I don't believe in having sex with just anyone so yep it's been awhile. Hmm actually can't remember how long it's been...kind of sad. Oh well such is life.

nexyjo

Quote:I think it's easier for a female to go without sex then a male.
sheesh, men...

i was celebate for almost 30 years. i hated it. trendy? sheesh. i never felt i was being trendy, just lonely. never again, as long as i can help it.

aciddragon

We each have our own feeling on things. If you hate then so be it, but I don't feel it's right for me. That's what makes each of us different. We each have our own set of standards that we live by...And grouping men in to one is stereotyping. I'm not a typical male, so please don't group me there. Thanks.

kayne

Quote:Originally posted by nexyjo

sheesh, men...

I'm with you AcidDragon. I don't know if some people realise how patronising and offensive that can be...

As far as Celebacy goes... I could not imagine going out of my way not to have sex. Why punnish yourself like that? Sex in a relationship is always better than sex outside one though...

VGimlet

Even if I was not in a relationship, celibacy would not be for me. I can see the reasons for it, and the appeal, but....no. ;)

I like the earthy, sensual part of my nature, and for me, celibacy would be denying that natural part of life.

nexyjo

i see i was misunderstood, as i didn't make my "sheesh, men" comment a clear example of what not to do. i was responding to aciddragon's comment, which i felt was stereotyping, with a stereotyping comment of my own. i'll try to be a little more clear in terms of my meanings in the future. sarcasm doesn't always translate to the written word very well, so i will endeavor to avoid using it.

i apologize for the misunderstanding.

luv and light,
nexy

kayne

I understand now Nexyjo :p

(I think I woke up on the overly sensitive side of the bed when I posted that this morning... even though it was afternoon when I woke up...)