Clearing Your Cards

Rogan

Ive been attending a series of Tarot workshops after being asked by a good friend of mine - She likes to have at least one guy there to help balance out the energy a bit...

Last workshop, the subject of "clearning your cards" came up - And how it's good practice to clear them of any residue energy after each reading...

This is something Ive never thought of, nor have I ever done it - Nor thought it really important to do...

Is this something that Ive been lacking? I mean, is it a common practice with Tarot to clear you cards? Ive been reading since early 2005 and never thought anything of it!!

Rogan.

tarobones

it's up to you

It's up to you. Some have elaborate rituals, others use incense or crystals or prayers or merely shuffle. Whatever makes you comfortable.........there is no single way that is exclusively correct. Michael....

Rogan

Stupid me - Just found a dozen threads on this... disregard if you want to, I'll just read up on the older threads :)

Rogan.

Astrum_Stultas

As I've read here before, the only stupid questions are the ones that remain unasked!

This is a question I wondered about since I've only been doing the Tarot a few weeks...before each reading I bless the cards and imagine them being bathed in a cleansing white light...I feel that whatever I come up with myself will carry more meaning than following some strange ritual.

Lady Orchard

I have had my deck for about 3 months now and have used them regularly, but haven't "cleansed" them in any special way yet.

Before each new reading I place the cards down, and clap loudly above them before shuffling. (I read somewhere that dispels any leftover energy.) And after a reading thank whatever force has helped me lay them. That works for me so far.

Funnily enough though I have had an urge recently to do something more with them, perhaps just sort them back into their original order.

I think it's largely psychological and whatever works for the individual.

lilpeanut

Hi I am new here! But I do keep certain stones in my silk bag. I have rose quartz, amethyst, and one I can't remeber for representing the white light. Rose quartz is supposed to cleanse well, amethyst to boost the psychic power, and when I have done a lot of readings and feel them to be off I sleep with them under my pillow. It sounds crazy but it cleans them right up. I get no sleep that night, but my cards are cleansed.

Little Baron

Astrum_Stultas said:
I feel that whatever I come up with myself will carry more meaning than following some strange ritual.

Good advice!

LB

Thirteen

Lady Orchard said:
Before each new reading I place the cards down, and clap loudly above them before shuffling. (I read somewhere that dispels any leftover energy.)
Ah, see I learned to rap the table AFTER each reading to dispell the energy.

As said, whatever works for you is the way to do it. And whatever you work out will mean more.

WoodSorrel

I sweep any residual energy away with a feather and ask that it be returned to the Earth for recycling. I do this to the whole stacked deck after (virtually) every reading, and at least once weekly, or daily, I cleanse every individual card. This is important for me especially after reading for clients/strangers.

I also always shuffle thouroughly after doing a reading, so as not to leave the deck in position for that reading. As I do so, my intentions are to clear the deck.

Just a couple of my practices.

Diana

I never "clean/clear/cleanse" my cards. Ever. Whether they be new or old. Whether I've just done a reading with them or not.

I do shuffle them a bit though, because that's what one does with playing cards - although as I fan my cards on the table to do a reading and pick out deliberately the cards I choose, sometimes I wonder why I even bother to shuffle.

Am very allergic to superstition. And I think "cleansing" one's cards is very much a part of superstition. (Am also allergic to wool and nickel but that is off-topic.)