Comprehending the Vast Voice of Tarot- A Questionnaire

geronimo

This topic entails a few questions/food for thought. I could probably post a few different threads. If it gets too here and there, with replies, I shall! My questions are scattered throughout, so I've bolded them.

My mom had a visit the other day. She is rather intuitive, so I pulled out my cards to see if she could read. And she is dang good. This is a woman who has never looked at the cards in her life.
She did a reading for a friend about some guy she likes. All I remember is the Moon and King of Wands showing up. She asked, "Are you nervous around him when you normally aren't that way with guys?" My friend gave a bashful smile. I tried asking her how she came up with that, and her explanation was certainly beyond my comprehension. Said something like, "How the dogs are looking up at the moon." And in another fun reading about some future lover, the moon came up again. She replied, "He's finicky about his hair and has blue eyes." I knew instantly who she was talking about. And I was all "whhaaa??"

So, I have a few questions because of these events.

How many of you think tarot is best suited for the highly intuitive folk? Of course, many of you say Tarot can be for anyone who is willing. But I've been at Tarot for quite some time now, and I haven't been able to pick up minute details like that. Ever. And many of you have said, those are the kinds of things successful readings can hinge on.

I can't say that my mom was 100% dead on. She would sometimes say rather vast statements that no one really understood. Like "He is the everlasting love." and "He builds strength within himself and within you." I think that is due in part because symbols are a way of communicating big ideas, and also because she lacks a vocabulary. So she'd try to set up different scenarios in which I might understand what she's talking about.
So, this brings me to other questions, do you think having a broad intellect makes readings a bit more accurate/relatable? How do you reign in and translate the bigger concepts, how do you pull from the pool of all knowledge? I've posted another thread on how tarot speaks to you, and quite a few people said they were just a funnel for the information. My mom was certainly a funnel, but sometimes I had to pester her to get something a bit more down to earth, and even then, I could feel it wasn't encompassing the entire message.
In your experience have understanding the history of symbols within tarot added to translating your readings immensely? Or did understanding the symbols come after the experience of reading? What method worked for you when you began to really commit to understanding the cards?

Personally, the Tarot asks me to open my mind and to leave judgments behind. It's the one thing in life I've found that forces me to lose my inner voice so that I may find it (there's that vast talk again). That's all I have for now, but if you guys kindly reply, I'm sure I'll want to peck your brains some more. Gosh, I love this forum!

SunChariot

Ok. to try and answer your questions, at least to give my beliefs on what you asked:

1) How many of you think tarot is best suited for the highly intuitive folk?
--Yes and no. We are all of us intuitive. It is part of what it means to be a human being. For most of us, we never learnt to develop that part of ourselves. Since it tends to be highly undervalued and even frowned upon by the societies we live in currently. But we all have that ability and it is never to late to start developing it.

So yes, Tarot works better the more you can develop your intuitive side. And no, that part of you does not have to be highly developed for you to start to learn and to do very well with it. Luckily, Tarot is a tool that helps develop that side of us. So if it's not there at the start, working with Tarot can very much and usually does develop that more and more over time.

In other words we all have the ability to be highly intuitive folk. If we are not now, we can develop into that if that is our choice. And Tarot is one tool that can help us do that.

2) Do you think having a broad intellect makes readings a bit more accurate/relatable?
--Not necessarily. And at times it can actually get in your way. All this is just my beliefs of course. The beliefs of others may differ. But in my personal experience, to read well I need to turn off all thought and to just sense things. So as I am reading, I need to be in a state where I do not think at all. If I start to actually think about what I am doing it completely ruins the reading for me.

BUT on the other hand, to get to the point of developing a reading style that is right for you takes a lot of reading and thinking on what you want to do and accomplish. There is some thought required to that part of it. But no, I personally would say that a "broad intellect" is not required. And if it prevents you from being able to turn off your thoughts when doing the reading, it could get in the way.

How much study you want to put into it is personal. Maybe people study all kinds of techniques. But it is not strictly necessary to being a good reader. It's possible to develop a simple way of reading that works well for you.

3) How do you reign in and translate the bigger concepts, how do you pull from the pool of all knowledge?
--I guess this is two different questions. :grin: I am not sure I understand for sure what you mean by the first. Do you mean the bigger concepts of life or of Tarot?

How you translate the bigger concepts of life...you just learn to read the cards in the best way that works best for your personally and you just say what they tell you, what you see in them. And yes they very much can talk about life's largest concepts.

How I translate the bigger concepts in Tarot, I don't. I have developed a simple way of reading that works well for me. I don't bother with elemental dignities or quabala or any of the more complex stuff.

How do I pull from the pool of all knowledge? I am not sure that is the way I would describe my beliefs on the topic. I don't believe there is a pool of all knowledge or a universal consciousness. At least that is not what I believe I am connecting to when I read. Divination, for me, is quite literally that to me. I believe it is a contact with the Divine. Meaning I ask my angels/God for the answer and it is they who answer me.

4) In your experience have understanding the history of symbols within tarot added to translating your readings immensely? Or did understanding the symbols come after the experience of reading? What method worked for you when you began to really commit to understanding the cards?

--In my experience, no. I started at first to study the history of symbols....and it was not at all helpful to me. It slowed me down and made it harder for me to read well. It had the exact opposite effect for me. It cluttered my mind in a sense and made it harder to turn off my thoughts when it came time to actually read. It got in my way, and I soon stopped doing it altogether. Understanding too much about that was a hindrance to me, not a help.

I learnt to understand the symbols as part of the process of reading. I learnt, for me anyway, that it was much more important that I go with personal symbolism that comes from within me, from my heart and soul, than to learn what the symbols mean to someone else. For me, my path has been to go with personal symbolism, not what someone else says something means. To look at something and FEEL what it says to me. Even if (and especially if ) it doesn't say the same thing each time,

Mainly, the best thing I did for myself was to develop my own way. I read lots of books, tried all that interested me, kept what worked, let go or altered what didn't and invented a lot of things on my own to suit my needs and combined it all In the best ways for me. My way of reading evolves over time, as I do. But it's mine and what works best for me.

You have to know WHO you want to be as a reader, how you want to give the answers, what your values are as a reader....and develop the style of reading that best lets to do that.

The method I use best is very Rorchark test. I have very brief one word meanings in mind for each card. These are not the answer, but they do point to it/set the general direction of where to find the answer. The actual answer, for me, tends to come from the card image.

I look at the card and break it into parts. What is calling my attention this time. Colours shapes, part or the image. I focus on each that draws my eys, one by one, turn off al thought and feel the first though that comes to mind for each. Then what does that remind me of....And it weaves itself together into a story.

Eg a blue sky and a ball.

blue=sad
ball=dance

The person might be sad that they were not invited to a school dance.

But really you have to FEEL what answer is trying to get to you each time.

Another day the blue might remind you of the sky on a sunny day and of warmth and joy\
and the ball could make you think of playing volleyball outside. Maybe to won the last volleyball match you played and it felt good. It could be about that kind of feeling....

Just a couple of examples, but to me that is the magic of Tarot. That each card and each symbol in the card can have so so many different ways to talk and can say so many different things.

Babs

nisaba

How many of you think tarot is best suited for the highly intuitive folk?
I think it's suited for everyone, that's why it's so great. Of course, the more you use your intuition (we are ALL highly intuitive, it's if we use it or not!), the better the results will be. But while - say - clairaudience will only get a result with people who use their intuition, anyone can give at least some kind of a reading with Tarot.

do you think having a broad intellect makes readings a bit more accurate/relatable?
Not more accurate, no. But if you understand what you're saying and if you have the vocabulary to say it more clearly, it's more of a help to your client. Nobody likes to have readings from a "stupid dumbarse" <smile>.

How do you reign in and translate the bigger concepts, how do you pull from the pool of all knowledge?
I just put my mouth into automatic, open it, and let it do the work. I make a point of not thinking.

In your experience have understanding the history of symbols within tarot added to translating your readings immensely?
For the nuts-and-bolts readings most clients want, sadly, not much. There's not a lot of call for mystical readings. But in a proper, juicy, mystical reading, yes.

Or did understanding the symbols come after the experience of reading?
The more you use the cards, the better you get. But additionally, the more background information you lay up in your head about the cards, even if it never ever surfaces in readings, the better your readings get.

What method worked for you when you began to really commit to understanding the cards?
Just keep looking at the images. Over and over.

geronimo

Many thanks for both of your lengthy replies! I'm glad that I've already gained different answers. I am a researcher at heart. I know this forum frowns upon simple thanks posts, but I really have nothing to add at this point in time. I must digest.

Babs- to articulate my vague question, art/symbols/letters/words are all a way of translating ideas. What seems to be intangible into the tangible so that we can share it. Like a conduit, from one mind into another. Tarot, as we know is RICH in symbols that branch into and from so many different ideas and stories. Obviously, especially the major arcana. That's one thing I struggle with. So many symbols with so many ideas! Perhaps a better way to phrase that, and I think you already answered, How do you handle/translate/apply the rich symbolism in the Tarot when reading?

SunChariot

Many thanks for both of your lengthy replies! I'm glad that I've already gained different answers. I am a researcher at heart. I know this forum frowns upon simple thanks posts, but I really have nothing to add at this point in time. I must digest.

Babs- to articulate my vague question, art/symbols/letters/words are all a way of translating ideas. What seems to be intangible into the tangible so that we can share it. Like a conduit, from one mind into another. Tarot, as we know is RICH in symbols that branch into and from so many different ideas and stories. Obviously, especially the major arcana. That's one thing I struggle with. So many symbols with so many ideas! Perhaps a better way to phrase that, and I think you already answered, How do you handle/translate/apply the rich symbolism in the Tarot when reading?

No problem, probably I did answer that but here goes anyway. LOL

Yes, that is what Tarot is. The symbols are well....just symbols and we need to look at them and turn them into meaning, meaning that is useful in response to the question asked. And of course, the wording is very important too. It's not just seeing the meaning, a lot of it has to do with how you choose to tell the story too. 20 different people (or even more) could see the exact same things in a card's symbolism, and tell the story quite differently. It's how you string it together and how to tell the story that makes a huge difference too!

That part, imo, comes from knowing who you are as a reader and what kinds of readings you want to give and what you want to give to your querents. They way you read needs to align with all that. Which may vary from reader to reader.

All that aside, the way I read simplifies things. I don't pay any attention to why the deck's creator put certain symbols there. It makes no difference to me personally what their intent was. All that concerns me is "What is this symbol saying to me personally right now in this reading?" What it said yesterday, what it says to someone else, what the intended meaning was make no difference to me.

To me, that's all in the past and not relevant here. To me, the card is there in front of me. I'm doing a reading. All I need to do is to sense what it is telling me here, now. The rest makes no difference.

And of course I believe more in finding my own personal meanings for a card's symbolism. These change for me from reading to reading. It's about sensing that they are trying to tell me anew in each individual reading. I prefer to align myself with my own personal meanings for symbolism, than to concern myself with what others think things mean,

That's just me, of course,

Babs

VGimlet

How many of you think tarot is best suited for the highly intuitive folk?
No. I am intuitive, and I have been from a young age, but I came from a family where I was not discuraged from listening to my intuition. Once in awhile I get very specific details, but mostly not. I will say my track record is pretty good. The people I read for are generally pleased with the results. It DOES run in my family on my dad's side, according to family legend. BUT I definately don't think you have to be intuitive to read, and like many have already said, we are all intuitive, it's more a matter of paying attention.

In your experience have understanding the history of symbols within tarot added to translating your readings immensely? Or did understanding the symbols come after the experience of reading? What method worked for you when you began to really commit to understanding the cards? I started reading tarot at a very young age, but some archetypes and symbols are obvious, even when you're young IMO. Maybe because of tarot, I have always been interested in symbolism in art, dreams, etc. When I really started studying tarot, I did get a couple of serious books on symbolism and found them both helpful and interesting, and for me it probably did enrich my readings - but I like to study. I think some would find it beyond tedious, and I think you can get good readings without intensely studying them like I did. :p

Chimera Dust

1) How many of you think tarot is best suited for the highly intuitive folk?

Frankly, I'm on the fence about whether I even believe in "intuition", or whether it's just that some people are better than others at picking up details and taking them in without quite noticing. Either way, I don't think the Tarot is "best suited" for anyone in particular. I think that different people will have different reading styles, and with some practice, you can develop new skills for reading it and/or tailor your reading style to your own strengths and weaknesses.

For example, if you're the sort of person who picks up on tiny details, you can get a more detailed deck. If you work best with more abstract symbols, you can get a deck with simpler and more abstract artwork. If your problem-solving style is by giving advice and analysing problems, you can do readings that are meant to bring different ways of approaching a problem to the table. If you're more focused on emotions and introspection, you can put more emphasis on your readings, and so on.

Just like your mother's communication style had something unique to her way of thinking, that's also true of how everyone communicates -- and it's something that can be similar when it comes to reading.

I do think that intuition is important because I'm primarily an intuitive reader. However, that's just how I roll. Someone who is really good at, say, memorising and applying information might find it easier to go by the book meanings primarily. And so on.

2) Do you think having a broad intellect makes readings a bit more accurate/relatable?
No, I don't think so.

I think that being a good reader makes readings more accurate/relatable. I don't think you need to be have a broad intellect, whatever that means, to be good at it.

My reasons for thinking this way are what I outlined above; I think different people have different personalities, and part of being a good reader (or a good anything in life) is knowing what you're good at and making the most of it, and being able to figure out your weaknesses so you can improve them.

Being good at communicating is probably a plus, but again, there are different communication styles that can be just as effective. It's just like different writing styles. I was a Literature major and I'm very much like your mother: I get ideas in my head and I often resort to examples to get them across if they sound too obscure otherwise. Just like how some writers will rely heavily on explaining what they see as it is and others will write in a lot of metaphors, while some use short but concise sentences and others longer and more impressionistic ones, that's also true of readers and communication styles as a whole. And just like books, what one sitter loves in a reader may be something another sitter can't stand.

I also don't think you have to have a broad intellect if you research the symbols and more regular meanings of the cards. I do that too (even though I'm more into intuitive reading), I love learning about that stuff, but it's not that difficult. It's like learning or reading about something else, really, as long as you figure out the best way to study something and have some time and motivation, you can do it.

3) How do you reign in and translate the bigger concepts, how do you pull from the pool of all knowledge?

Again, this question is a bit unclear for me. I assume it's what you clarified as being about how to draw from what you've learnt about the Tarot and putting it into a reading?

I just do, sorry. To me that's asking me how I remember what I've studied when I'm taking a test, or how I remember vocabulary when I'm speaking in a language other than my native one. It gets easier over time. ;)

When I'm reading, I try to form a certain picture of what I want to say (based on more intuitive stuff like what I feel the card is evoking in that reading, and pulling in key concepts related to that card in general into that context) and then I try to word it in a way someone who isn't familiar with the Tarot can understand. Things like "this card relates to your boyfriend, and what I think is that he's struggling with X and Y in terms of your relationship" or even giving examples or using metaphors.

Again, this is all an individual thing that depends on your personal way of thinking and communicating. I don't think there's one specific way of doing it that is the same of everyone, just like how when we were at school, everyone had different ways to study and different answer styles.

4) In your experience have understanding the history of symbols within tarot added to translating your readings immensely? Or did understanding the symbols come after the experience of reading?

I don't know if my readings are necessarily better now than they were when I was starting out and relied a lot more on intuition. It's just given me an extra angle to pull information from.

When I was starting out, I did them more or less simultaneously. I would have gotten bored back then when I was just starting out if I had sat down with a book about the cards and taken notes like reading a textbook. I explain it a bit better in my next answer. Comparing my readings then vs. my readings now, I don't think they were better or worse, beyond just certain things you learn from experience like how to phrase your questions better or figuring out what works best for you when reading.

I do think it helped me when it comes to getting the point across when reading for others, because if I'm at a loss for how to explain a card, I can tell the sitter the story about it (e.g. The Fool meets this character, learns this) and how it applies to their situation.

5) What method worked for you when you began to really commit to understanding the cards?

I think this is a highly individual thing, like what I've said above about people having different answer styles. To me it's what I said above, I'd do a reading and then compare my interpretations with the more "standard" meanings. If mine seemed different I didn't necessarily discard them, I'd just try to see why I had interpreted them that way, if they could possibly be another facet of the standard meaning, and so on. And of course, there isn't a user's manual for intuitive reading.

Then I'd make some notes about it when I could remember, so I could look through my notes later.

As I said above, I read and learnt at the same time. In those days I rarely sat down to only read ABOUT a card. As I progressed I started doing it, I'd pull up information (like forum discussions, books, opinion pieces) on cards and just read about them and the symbols.

I hope this helps. :) In the end, I don't think there's one set way, there's just what works best for you vs. what doesn't.