Cristina Fiorini

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Huck,

Huck said:
The church Santa Maria Novella in Florence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_di_Santa_Maria_Novella

has at the front facade, from which the upper part was finished 1470 after a design of Leon Battista Alberti on the commission of the Rucellai family, at the central upper part a SUN with stronger similarities to the sun, as it appears in the woodcut Rosenwald Tarocchi, Kaplan p. 130.

It's the church, in which some 15 years later the decorations of the Tornabuoni chapel were painted.

I can't draw any strong conclusions from this. Surely a sun with a face will turn up too often to mean anything if we look for it.

By the way, we've been going off-topic for a while (both of us) - unless we keep to the double shield or something else directly related to Cristina Fiorini's ideas, we should make a new thread.

Ross

Huck

Ross G Caldwell said:
Hi Huck,

I can't draw any strong conclusions from this. Surely a sun with a face will turn up too often to mean anything if we look for it.

By the way, we've been going off-topic for a while (both of us) - unless we keep to the double shield or something else directly related to Cristina Fiorini's ideas, we should make a new thread.

Ross

I agree, that a sun often might be painted this way, however we've here the "right" composition of the right time (facade builded between 1456 - 1470, likely connected to festivities, when finished) and the right persons, which already otherwise appeared in the context of Tarot cards (Alberti, family Rucellai).
The "sun" is obviously dominating the "new" church facade, so it has the value of a "great symbol" of the city. The finishing date of the facade is one year after the change from Piero to Lorenzo, and the Rucellai were Medici-friends, even close relatives by the marriage of the son and heir to a Medici-daughter.
The Lorenzo rule still might be called insecure in 1470 ... he's just a very young ruler.
A festivity around a finished church front was a measure to create some political stability.

We've the feature of the deciding "halo's" repeating in the Rosenwald Tarocchi

Well, we could move it to a "Rosenwald Tarocchi observations" thread.

Generally, if we wish to find conclusions about the Charles VI deck as a product of Florence, we've to focus on dominant Florentian situations of the time ... naturally we meet a lot of topics relative far from the topic "playing cards".

Ross G Caldwell

Huck said:
Generally, if we wish to find conclusions about the Charles VI deck as a product of Florence, we've to focus on dominant Florentian situations of the time ... naturally we meet a lot of topics relative far from the topic "playing cards".

I guess we could combine all the recent Florentine observations into one thread.

"Florentine Tarot Cards" or something like that. The specific issue here was Cristina's attribution of the Rothschild to Giovanni del Ponte, and her reasons for it (including Starnina). But things like Rosenwald in general and Florence at the time should be addressed separately, to keep things neat.

We'll get to it, but unfortunately don't have time at the moment. Feel free to start a thread like that; we can join up everything later.

Ross

kwaw

Huck said:
I remember to have seen this, but I don't know, where ...

saracen1bw.jpg

Probably remember it from Andy Pollet's site, which has been linked to before in other discussions:

http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards77.htm

kwaw

Take Care!

kwaw said:
Probably remember it from Andy Pollet's site, which has been linked to before in other discussions:

http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards77.htm

While this page seems OK, according to my virus checker several other pages of the site are infested with trojan downloaders, viruses and other malware at the moment.