Crossing your legs??

dandelion

As others have said, I can appreciate wanting to be grounded and open in order to properly conduct a reading. However, I also agree with what others have said in that you should position yourself in whatever way feels comfortable.

Personally, I sit and/or stand in different positions depending on where I am reading and what feels right. I do often sit cross-legged, or with the soles of my feet together. I also sit with legs apart... but I don't spend any great amount of time worrying about it. ;)

MoonLitCrystal

Pao said:
yet again I was yelled at for crossing my legs while reading! :laugh: This time by my friend. I was shuffling and had my legs crossed and a card jumped out which actually answered her question but it was not the answer she wanted to get. so she yelled at me "stop it! uncross your legs!" confused i asked "why? what does my legs have to do with the card?" she replied that it cut of the universal energy or something and so i would get the "wrong" answer/reading. So I got annoyed and said "you're buddhist don't you sit in the lottus position when you meditate and cross your legs? doesn't Buddha sit that way too? am I cutting off my energy when I am meditating and praying with my legs crossed?" answer=silence followed by a grunt and a "i dont know but dont cross them again" then sh e made me ask the question again...of course I didnt get an answer since they already had answered me :(
I think I would have taken a little offense to this! I kind of see it as you should do whatever the reader wants (within reason of course). The reader is in the driver's seat, so they should be able to tweak the environment to their liking. (Just like in the car, I believe that the driver should be able to pick the music and turn the heat/air conditioning to their liking, again within reason. It's only fair since they're doing most of the work!)

I think if my friend would have said this to me I would have gently told her that I am the reader and this is the way I do things when I read. Hey, if things work best for you when you have your legs crossed, why try to dispute it? If she has that much of a problem with it I suppose she could find another reader...just my 2 cents.

MissMichele

Pao,
You know if your readings are right or not when your legs are crossed. :)
It sounds like your friend 1). has control issues 2). didn't get the answer she wanted, so looked for a factor that allowed her to deny the truth.
I never thought one way or another about this. It seems to me that sitting lotus-style, the way many people do for meditation, would be as good a way as any to read.

berrieh

In my opinion, the Hanged Man would make an excellent Tarot reader. He sees things more clearly than almost any figure in the deck. He might not even need cards. And he has his legs crossed. Just sayin'.

I've heard the leg-crossing thing more for empathic principles than actual Tarot reading, though.

raventepes

I always sit with my legs crossed; weather it be reading cards, eating at a table, watching a movie...every time I sit down, really.

*shrugs*

Apollonia

Oh, good grief, now they're telling us how to sit! I've read at the same shop for three years now, plenty of satisfied repeat clients and happy new clients, and I ALWAYS sit with my ankles crossed when I read. (For one thing, since we sit at a fairly small card table, it lessens the chance that I'm going to bump feet with my client and make one or both of us self-conscious.) It simply does not matter how one sits--as long as the reader's focus isn't totally destroyed by the querent demanding that we arrange our bodies in a certain way.

floracove

hmmmm, well I understand the energy flow thing and I think as long as you don't cross your eyes for a reading, you should do ok, cause crossing your eyes would cause the energy between your three eyes to become congested and twisted and you may see twice as much of what you already see.

Do as you please and in a manner that is comfortable to you...

Pao

yea I mean if the reader I go to does not want me, the client to cross my legs for whatever reason then ok she's the reader and like Moonlitcrystal said its kinda her rules type of thing so thats ok ill keep them on the floor as uncomfortable as I may be. but when I, myself am reading I need to be comfortable and I sit all the time with my legs crossed or indian style. She really annoyed me when she said that like I am making her get a wrong answer I mean the card flew out by itself! The lady I go to looks like she's going to fall over into a coma sleep and I never say anything lol like ok as long as you can see the images i dont care :D lord....

Dolphin_Dreamer

rofl sounds more like something more based on an old outworn belief that (is probably based more on some other idea than it is on cards) is now superstition cause it sounds more like if you had your legs crossed, you aren't concentrating on the cards but rather the fact you have to go to the bathroom... lol

Raya

I think this is one belongs on the Tarot myth list. ;)

I cross my legs ALWAYS. Whether on the floor, chairs, bed, or anywhere. And it's never affected me that I can tell.