Crystal Divination??

Joermit

Hello all...

Hope this is the right section... Just wondering if anyone uses crystals and stones as an oracle?? It's called lithomancy from what I've found/researched and there's not a lot of information about it... I pretty much made up my own system... I have around 50 polished stones in a bag and I basically pull stones and lay into a spread and then interpret the meanings based on the the metaphysical attributes of the stones as well as what I intuit... it's a wonderfully spiritual type of reading and very accurate as well... anybody try this or practice it as a divinatory tool?? lemme know...

Joey

Chronata

Lithomancy has a long tradition of being exactly what you have created..

a unique system of using stones that varies with every individual.

I would love to hear more about the one you created! 50 stones...wow! that's wonderful! Sounds like a lot to keep track of!

I have been doing lithomancy readings (based on...you guessed it! My own made-up system!) for a couple of decades...

Some of it can be found here....
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=42389

It's nice to find someone else who practices this cool divination!
Please share some of your talents in this!

Sophie

If you read French, there's quite a lot of information on lithomancy available. It's a divination tool that is growing in popularity, and some lithotherapists use it too. Two of my crystals books in French have sizeable sections on lithomancy under each stone description, and one also has a chapter with correpondences to the Major Arcana of the Tarot.

But making your own system sounds interesting and creative :). Do you use the properties of the stones to devise the correspondences and meanings? I can see that it might become a complex job! And how many types of stones do you work with - or is the sky the limit?

The advantage I can see of linking the meanings of stones to their therapeutic qualities (linking lithotherapy with lithomancy) - as the French do, even if you devise your own system! - is that you are tapping into the specific energy of this or that stone to tell you something of your querent's life - and can also help heal that area. For instance, drawing citrine can indicate a need for more enthusiasm, or the resolution of a chronic condition (physical or mental) - and the citrine can also bring enthusiasm and the right kind of energy to overcome chronic blockages.

Simone

Hi Joey :)

I know Chronata does something like that, she has given information on a thread which i would have to research however.

Personally, i think we can read anything if we decide so ;) We just have to attach a meaning to it and it will talk...

This being said, I am going to move this thread to the Divination Forum, as it is not about an oracle cards deck ;)

Have fun with your rocks!

Edited to add:

Chronata was already on it ;) yay... thanks dear

sharpchick

Scott Cunningham went into quite a bit of detail about that in his Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem and Metal Magick. He gives a list of 22 stones for the major arcana and the associations for each stone.

Joermit

Hello, all! Glad I found some other practitioners! I've always love rocks... since I was little and my family vacationed at my grandmother's cabin in NC... used to go mining and hunting and such... went I got into metaphysics my interested was taken to a new depth as I found about all of the healing properties of the stones... and I started adding to my collection again... I had a big wooden bowl full of special polished semi-precious crystals and as I already read tarot and playing cards, I figured I could read the stones as well... I tried to research a system but found pretty much nothing, except that this sort of divination is known as lithomancy... so... I started tinkering and found a nice bag and put some of my stones in it and began pulling a stone here and there for guidance... and I found it worked... based on what I know of the stone's healing qualities... the color, shape, size, combinations, and also my intuition.... I use about 50 polished stones of from about 1" to 2" in diameter.... and I mix up the stones or have my client do so, and then pull them one at a time and lay them out... sometimes in a spread, like a celtic... sometimes in a line and just let them tell a story... I've pulled anywhere from one stone... to the whole bag in a 3 hour reading for a close friend.... it's truly a wonderful system! and you can see themes... funny how you get a "green" reading or a "blue" one... the stone give wonderful advice! I don't have set meanings for each stone, and some of my meanings aren't found in any crystal healing book.. they just sorta talk to me... and I listen... I highly encourage anybody to try this system.... it's really great... and those whom you read for really enjoy it as well... and while they work with the stones.. they also get the energy from them...

satinangel

WAHOO!!!!

Finally! A reason for all of these polished stones!!!!!! I knew there had to be a purpose!

Thank you Joermit and Chronata (and all of the others that have contributed)!

~SatinAngel~

Chronata

Joermit...
What a very cool idea!

I too have a bowl full of polished stones, that I keep on my table often when I do readings...
usually after a bit of tarot, I offer a stone to my client, and let them choose...then I read it as a sort of talisman (using, as you do...the healing properties, and color etc...)
I never thought to use them in a spread though...that's a very cool concept!

I can see them taking a handful, and rather than drop stone reading them...placing them in a celtic cross or other spread...
That is brilliant!

Then,they can keep the stone that is the outcome (providing it's a good one! :D)

Joermit

You're welcome, satinangel! working with stones really offers a very special type of reading...

And Chronate, that sounds like a wonderful idea... laying them in a spread really allows them to tell a full story and it's really cool to see how things are chosen, you can't see in the bag I pull from, so it's completely an unbiased pull... and it's unique.. I read for a lady a couple of weeks ago who was concerned she'd never find a loving partner... I had her pull three stones and she pulled rose quartz, rhodonite, and rhodochrosite, all huge love energy stones... I was shocked she managed to pull these exact three! I told her her life was inindated with love all she has to release any fears/doubts/anxieties and open up to love on all levels--spiritual, practical, and most importantly self love and it was gonna happen... well.. she popped into today and shared that she took the reading to heart and completely accepted love, and relased all the old hurt... and she's met someone... they'd already been on a few dates and she was excited to see where things were going... so I told her to pull one stone as a freebie... and she got rose quartz again....lol... so I expect big love for her! it's just wonderful how this system works... and can even get into specifics... I need to think about giving stones away as a talisman as you do, Chronata, I think that's a wonderful idea... thanks for all the input! take care...

Joey

skygreen

I learned a crystal casting method where one casts a set of colored stones and a white stone to represent self and reads accoding to the relationship to the white stone and by color and of course any pictures/symbols formed by the cast pattern. I don't do it much anymore because I just don't like to throw stones but it worked very well once I developed a sense of the meanings and relationship. I also have a book that comes with casting charts and a set of stones and you read accoring to which stone falls on what space i have done some exploration with crystals as Tarot too.