Dealing the cards

yochi

dealing the cards

Hi!!
I was wondering if anyone could tell me their way of shuffling and dealing the cards. I don´t have a method but I would like to learn any if there exist ^_^

thank you so much!
yochi ^^

plus: also another little question. It´s there any time of the day which it´s not recommended to do readings?
I´ve been told not to read at night. it´s this true?

thanks!!!

stonepsycho

Hey!

I shuffle/deal my spreading all the cards over the floor/table, and mixing them well and good before arranging them all back into a deck. Then i cut it into three, and put the middle deck onto the right, and then both onto the left.

I havnt heard of this rule about not reading at night, so i'd also like infomation on that. I've delt a few times at night and i've never experienced anything drastically different.

:)

YedaOfSwatlandia

Dealing the cards...?

Hi, all. I'm quite new to the tarot, and haven't been able to find anything on this subject: Is there a certain way you're supposed to shuffle and stack the cards? I've been using the spread-all-the-cards-face-down-on-the-table-and-shuffle-like-a-five-year-old approach. However, I can't help but feel that when I pool all the cards back into a single stack, some cards end up placed where they shouldn't be, just because they're close to other cards. I've found that it's more effective if I leave the cards spread out, ask a question for each card that is drawn (i.e. "What is in my past," "what is in my future," et al), and then put them in their respective positions on the spread, rather than just coming off the top of the deck. Is this wrong?

cricket

It's not wrong as long as it works for you! Don't let anybody tell you differently, either. :)

There are some here that might condemn you for shuffling that way. There are others that condemn those of us that shuffle them like a deck of playing cards. It all depends on your personal style and what works for you.

Dean

Deanres U.K

hI i usually just suffle my deck any way that feels right to me, there is no Right or Wrong way to suffle or deal in Tarot, what ever feels right to you is usually the best way. What spead layouts do you use.

PlatinumDove

I've riffled with good results, except I didn't like the amount of stress and wear and tear on the cards it does. So then I tried lacing, but I didn't feel like I was adequately mixing the cards.

Then, I was reading Joan Bunning's book Learning the Tarot, and found the Cowie Push-Put method. Basically its an over-under approach. Put the first card in your opposite hand, then the next card under it, then over it, then under, over, under, over, ad nauseum till the deck is through. Repeat as many times as you want.

Umbrae

yochi said:
I´ve been told not to read at night. it´s this true?
Hmmm have to think on that one...that would mean that dang near ALL of my readings have been...what?

I love to read at night...in the dark...

I remember reading once that Tarot decks should never be ‘shuffled’ like regular cards, (I don’t remember the exact source) that the magic in the cards would be ‘flapped out’.

Well I’ve been flapping the magic out of cards for years.

Dealing: I either just deal the cards off the top, OR – have the sitter chose the cards from the deck, spread out like a ribbon before them.

It does not matter.

How you shuffle, how you sit, the time of day…none of that matters.

What matters, is what transpires between the reader, the sitter, and the cards.

May want to hunt down my recent thread on myths. (the myth posts are spread throughout the thread)

Emeraldgirl

I like to smoosh. Get the deck lay it face down on the table and have some fun smooshing all the cards around and mixing them up put the deck back together in a nice pile and deal off the top if it. If there's no space then I shuffle hand over hand I think it's called.

As for reading at night I do and have never had any bad experiences besides it's always night somewhere :D

Apollonia

For every spread I do, I draw the first two cards off the top, the third card off the bottom, and I cut the deck anew for each card after that--partly because, like you, intuitively it didn't feel right to me to expect all the cards to line up at the top of the deck. Yet many Tarotists do it the traditional way, and it works for them. I agree with Cricket and Deanres--if it feels right to you, that's what you should do--and I think it bodes well for your Tarot skills that you started out heeding your intuition to that degree.

Apollonia

As I first speak with the sitter, I begin casually lacing the cards, then I riffle them after we have discussed matters a bit and I'm ready to get down to business. If a group of cards sticks and doesn't want to go smoothly in with the rest of the deck, I take only those cards, reverse them, put them at the bottom, then continue riffling. This is the only way I get reversals; I do not force them. I make the traditional three cuts, but I pay no attention to whether I place the third stack to the left of the first two or just put it down on the middle stack right away. I usually make these cuts and am ready to deal before the person has stated their question or concern, but it doesn't matter either way. I take the first two cards off the top, the third card off the bottom, and I cut the deck one time each for every card thereafter.

It has never mattered to me what time of day or night I read, sounds like a myth to me.