deck of 156 cards

guy bannik

Today I drew the two of wands, a god moment to share some inspiration:

I'm the kind of reader who never reads cards upside down. They're just upside down, with no futher significance to me. But there is lots and lots of material about reversed cards and so I've had this idea. Rather than have a deck of 78 carsd in which you also read the reversed version when it apears, why not make a 156 cards deck uncluding all reversed cards newly portrayed.

the 'hidden'deck would finally come to light.

Alas I'm not thorough enough to create a new deck of this magnitude. So for all those creators out there: feel free to use this. Let me know what you've made.

Hannafate

Interesting idea... but could it be shuffled?

gregory

Would it be even MORE interesting to use two copies of Zach's Revelations deck - then you could get the same cards both upright, one upright, one Rx or both upright - as the reversed images are already there.... Talk about emphasising the messages....

SherryZoned

I like the idea but I really like the idea from gregory..I never thought of that. Having 2 decks that are the same but one is completely reversed...now that would be interesting...course I dont have 2 copies of the same deck..hmmm

rwcarter

Slightly off-topic, but not really. I used two Transparent Tarot decks together for the 7 months that I exclusively used the deck. I didn't use reversed cards with that deck (I don't generally use reversals), but because the cards are transparent, I used what have come to be known as Mirror Image (MI) cards in the deck. (If a figure points right in the standard image, when the card is flipped 180 degrees around a vertical axis, the figure will now point to the left. This is what Mirror Imaged means.) When I first shuffled the two decks together, I had one deck in standard image and one in mirror image. My shuffling process (which I developed especially for this deck) MId a subset of the cards. At any given point in time, I probably didn't have exactly 78 cards in standard orientation and 78 cards in mirrored orientation, but generally ~ half the deck would have been in each orientation.

I have pretty large hands, but 156 cards was rather difficult for me to shuffle all at once 21 times (my shuffling ritual involves 3 sets of 7 shuffles), so I would cut the deck in half, do 3 shuffles on one half, 3 shuffles on the other half and then shuffle both halves together once. Then I'd cut the cards into 3 stacks and select one. Repeat the above 2 times for a total of 21 shuffles.

So that would be one way to handle shuffling 156 cards without having to shuffle them all together every time.

If I used reversals though, having two copies of the same deck (not a problem for me....) with one reversed and one not is a good idea.

Rodney

guy bannik

shuffling isn't of importance to me, having used Haindl a lot and now the Druidcraft I'm ued to clumsy shufflig. More interesting: rather than just to use upside don cards, what if you would design NEW cards with the meaning of the reversed cards, giving them a new picture and a new name, along with their new meaning.

rwcarter

The ability to manipulate such a large number of cards is important to many people. And if they don't feel like they can manipulate 156 cards in a satisfactory way, they're not going to buy such a deck. And if going into it a designer and/or author and/or publisher don't have any ideas on how to overcome such a hurdle, they might as well not even undertake such a venture because it'll be doomed to failure.

But 78 additional cards that have "reversed" meanings depicted in upright cards would be quite a feat - both a whole lot of work (it can take years to get 78 cards done) and an extraordinary innovation to tarot. I think it's a great idea, but I don't know if it's a feasible one though.

Rodney

gregory

SherryZoned said:
I like the idea but I really like the idea from gregory..I never thought of that. Having 2 decks that are the same but one is completely reversed...now that would be interesting...course I dont have 2 copies of the same deck..hmmm
Not quite - that was part of the point. The Revelations has reversed and upright images on each card - so you could get two upright fools, or two reversed, or one of each.... (and Rodney - the reversed meanings are depicted upright, kind of - so this deck is sort of half way there !)

FASCINATING idea - almost enough to make me buy a spare just of that deck !

SherryZoned

Ohhh i See Gregory. Sorry I mistook your post. I do not have the Revelations. I am not a tarot collector...I am more of a look and a deck and grimace or go yeah too pretty or JUST RIGHT I want it!!

ok Took a look at the Revelations deck. Lets just say its not in the JUST RIGHT pile...That would be interesting to use as a deck for 2 but I could not read with that deck..

SherryZoned

Guy Bannik.... I think someone could do it.. It would be a lot of work and a very interesting deck. I just dont know how many people would go for it..It is an interesting idea. However a lot of people see reversals more of blocks then reversed meanings so it would still come down to how you interpret the cards...Good Luck to anyone who attempts a 156 deck.