Deck study?

inanna_tarot

Yo folks!
I wanted to put this idea to you all, and see what your thoughts where.

Ive studied the Thoth, I've looked at the RWS, and now, for some reason 2011 is looking like its going to be the year of the Tarot de Marseille. There is a lot of me that is still thinking 'what on EARTH are you doing' but, I have to admit that I think the genre has picked me this time.

So, I want to make some form of commitment to that study.
I want to do - readings, study, pondering, learning the historical side, and at the same time not get bogged down and feel stupid all the time (which I sort of do at the moment in the TdM and Historical deck forum at the mo). Studying within a supportive environment like the study groups here is fabulous so I want to add that support and encouragement into my TdM journey.

IDS - doesnt seem to suit as I want to use more than one TdM to compare, using different TdM's in readings to experience the range each one has to offer. It was awesome doing the original One Deck Wonder project with my Druidcraft tarot, however, I cant just stick to one deck as I want to compare and contrast.

PDR - I loved doing this with my Druid Plant Oracle last year, and it never really took off with the Transparent Oracle. I like the idea of it as I'm not committed to only one deck, but, there's a lot there about readings and not for comparative study.

78 weeks - do you remember the 78 weeks?! They were all the range when I first started here, way before the One Deck Wonder idea (which became the IDS). I did considering the 78 weeks think but again, want to add readings, into that. However, the idea of me committing to 78 weeks is just not going to happen.

Any ideas folks on how I can mix all of the above? Or not?

Ambrosia

Hi :)

Does it have to be such rigid study? Sounds like it's the committing to a certain thing that could be the problem.

Why not just take your time - do readings, compare decks and thoughts, ask questions in the appropriate fora and just let it take you where it will?

Or do you feel you need rigid structure in order to get stuff done?

inanna_tarot

Ambrosia, you raise an interesting point :)

Whilst its not the rigidity of a study thats important (although to be in a study you need to abide by its 'rules'), its the support that I like about a load of ATers doing something that is a personal journey with a deck, but keeping eachother going during it.
Without that encouragement I find I just fall by the wayside due to my own paranoid overactive grumpy mind that says 'why bother? Why not just go Ctrl+A and Delete it all?'.

Ambrosia

:)

Would reading the threads and posting your questions and thoughts in the Historical decks forum not count as support?
Also, what about the existing study groups for the Marseilles decks/cards? They seem much less intense and structured than the IDS groups.

I'm sure everyone there would be more than happy to help.

Eco74

I do remember the 78 weeks but never participated. It was never really my thing, and I tend to conciously break patterns after a while just for the sake of breaking them.

If you want to do readings - do readings.
You could participate in the three-card-study that's going on in the Marseilles forum, using they 'eye rythm' method if you want to work with others.
You could offer readings in the reading exchange.
Or you could start new threads about questions that come up.

Contrary to popular belief - one does NOT have to be an expert or know everything to be allowed to participate in the marseilles or historical forums.
Everything is in the cards and all one needs to do is stay open to them.

Start with the basics (there is a sticky in the marseilles-forum recommending some places to start on learning the marseilles system) and take it from there.
You're bound to run into numerology and history as you learn about the cards and what they hold. The artwork is simple enough to bring focus to the characters status and the very few symbols involved and for the pips, you'll have the way the symbols are arranged and the numbers in focus.

The cards will speak to you if you are willing to listen and look at what they have to show you.
Doing one card at a time can get confusing where the minors are involved so while you can certainly do that with the majors I would recommend to work with the pips as a group to see the numerical development (what happens in the cards from 1 to 10) and with the courts as a group to see the dynamics between them (what are they looking at when they are placed in different orders).

And do readings. It's really the best way to get on familiar terms with the cards.
A bit like when you started out with tarot to begin with, but this time you'll have a bit of a head start.

BlueDragonfly

Why don't you make it an IDSS, Intensive Deck Style Study! And make short time commitment periods, say 1 or 2 months at a time.

You can join the IDS thread, use the Historic Deck forums, and anything else you want to incorporate! Others have done comparative studies and joined the IDS threads.

See the second line in my siggy! :)

GRAFLIX1

Inanna_Tarot you say you spent time studying RWS but have you found the codes to which I have expressed within my postings?

You may find that you have overlooked something rather important.

You should give justice to your namesake- which is, by the way, a rather fascinating creature, I might add:)

strings of life

Hi inanna_tarot, I don't think you need to be so rigid per say as well. Go with the flow and see where your studies take you. There is support and there are people to share your experiences with in so many areas of this forum. You can create your own threads or post in others. People will respond.

Regarding IDS, you can make your IDS TdM and say that your focus is TdM themed decks or even variants. That's "allowed". You can revive threads that study particular cards in the "Marseilles & Other Early Decks" forum.

Go with the flow :).

nisaba

I'd probably make a commitment that on all exchanges I'd use a TdM, and in all readings where the client doesn't specify a particular deck, use a TdM also. Over time, that should do the job nicely.

Ambrosia

nisaba said:
I'd probably make a commitment that on all exchanges I'd use a TdM, and in all readings where the client doesn't specify a particular deck, use a TdM also. Over time, that should do the job nicely.

This is a nice idea. Means you get to use and experience the deck in a practical sense but gives you enough lee-way to tailor the rest of your study to your needs at the time.