Decks you can´t connect to

CrystalSun

Thoth, among many others. I simply cannot link myself to this deck. :(

silvereye

Tarot of Cats People. It's like planet of the apes for me if you get what I mean...

BrownBear

Thoth--beautiful art, but I can never understand what the cards are saying to me. It's too esoteric.

Crystal Visions--the art looks too digitized. Love the card backs, but the card images look like they were computer generated.

Anna K--I tried so hard to like this deck. But the expressions on some of the female faces look weird to me. Strength and the Queens in particular. Also the cards are too big for my hands.

Druidcraft--love the art, but these cards are so huge it's like trying to shuffle encyclopedias. I might try to cut them way down but even then I think they'll be too big.

Lokismile

For me, don't connect with isn't the same as "don't like". For me it relates to those decks that you really thought on the surface you were going to work with, and tried and it's a bit like bashing your head against the proverbial brick wall. I'm following this thread carefully, racking my brains as I know there are quite a few. Maybe the Chrysalis. It just doesn't work for me. I really thought Id connect with it. Too wide-ranging. Too many disparate references. Like constantly having to change channel to get reception. And the Swords suit is too mauve, too gentle, too Crystal Visions. And yet the artwork is beautiful.

agreed.

I absolutely adore most of the art on my Maroon tarot, but found it not conducive at all for clients and generally lackluster for me as well.
Regardless it is staying in my collection, a truly lovely pack.

danielnogo

I bought the Art Noveua Tarot awhile back and just couldnt get into it, its a very expensive deck but I just couldn't connect to it.

cheshrkat

If I am reading for someone else, I use the Aquarian deck. It works very well for me and I can explain the answers easier to my client.
I studied the Thoth and Etteilla decks for quite some time now and yes, the results from a consultation can be rather blunt, but in my experience, they seem to "see" over longer periods of time vs the RW style decks. Years instead of months, etc. Does that make sense?

donnalee

By "Connect" I originally thought you meant "able to use", not "love".

I was going to say that even the decks in my collection that I dislike, I can still connect with well enough to read.

Now I don't know what to say.

I find that various decks whose art I personally dislike function excellently for reading for others, so I'm a little in this category as well. I would have to subdivide into: A. I connect with some few decks because they responate with my personal fantasy world or idea of attractive images etc., and then B. I connect with other decks because others find them to be so accurate when I read for them: someone recently called my new Universal Fantasy tarot, which showed quite a bit of extremes in the person's situations in very particular and unprompted ways, "both cool and gnarly".

I also find that the ones I resonate with, as in "this deck feels special and private to me because I love the art and the feel" would not be something to read for others with. It took me quite a while to understand that decks I have no personal attachment to are the best for reading for others.

The ones that are contrived-feeling to me make it hard for me to connect at all, even if I like the idea: I like the idea of the RJ Stewart Merlin deck and understand the worldview presented, but find the book and images to confuse the crap out of me even with effort, whether reading for myself or others. I am also repulsed by some of the creepy-faux-cute decks (big weird faces and eyes with creepy doll look) or extreme gore decks, and they are nothing I would ever want to use for self or others, since there would never to me be a 'good' card!

donnalee

Druidcraft--love the art, but these cards are so huge it's like trying to shuffle encyclopedias. I might try to cut them way down but even then I think they'll be too big.

I use these only for card of the day readings that stay in place in the box provided, since I like the deck but they fall on the floor all the time from being too big if I try to shuffle!

donnalee

I've had several, mostly computer generated imagery (ie, Revelations). It just doesn't seem real to me. Never had any luck; don't like 'em and can't read 'em.

Same here--a few of the earlier decks which seemed to combine a little photo stuff with a little artsy background work out for me, like Mystic Dreamer or Mystic Faery, but the things that look to me like literal screenshots from video games do nothing for me and repel me a little: I find no feeling to them. I was bummed that a recent(?) elf-themed one was like that, since the concept sounded cool (a deck that elves might read for themselves) but on seeing the cards online there was no way I could take it seriously. Oh well. That's thirty dollars saved right there!