Deviant Moon - where is it now?

irisa

I've just received this deck, my first new deck in 4 years - I've been on a break :)

While researching the deck here on Aeclectic I note there was such a lot of discussion and anticipation pre and soon after release.

It's No 1 in the 2008 top ten and yet the study group didn't seem to get off the ground so I'm wondering where is your deck now? And how do you feel about it?

My first impressions - What a great deck! It really takes my breath away, I don't see it as "dark" at all.

conversus

I have two copies of the Deviant Moon, I thought I might want to give one as a gift. Awfully interesting images, which I continue to appreciate. But I am not always a gifted reader and the collective back story of the images just eludes me. Also it is a little shiny. . .

Both of my copies live (comfortably, I presume) in the bottom of a drawer that is currently also home to old socks and tee-shirts and such. One still in its shrink wrap. I'll probably look at them again when I move.

There was a certain amount of very clever marketing and self-induced consumer frenzy around the original release of the Deck. No harm no foul. However, as has been pointed out in other places, fabulous images radiate on our screens, but some just can't fly so well when tied to card-stock.

There is nothing wrong with this deck. There is a bit of humor and certainly quality technique, but 95% flash, for me. Others will have a very different experience. I certainly hope that you are one of them and that others will chime in here to set the record straight!

CED

.traveller.

Mine is on my desk. At first, I could not get into it as a reading tool. The technical mastery used to render the images really captured me and I found myself studying the lines rather than reading the cards. After a while I got used to it, got over the wow factor, and actually started using the cards.
Solid reading deck. I like it alot. I almost traded it in the beginning because I bought it to read with and wasn't... I'm so glad I waited and gave it another chance.

Nytebugg

I get great readings from mine. some of the cards really seem to speak to me more than others. every deck is like that.

Onyx

My Deviant Moon is in the limbo between my decks in storage and the decks I use often. I keep it close by and I always know where it is. My may issue with not using all the time is that it isn't for very many sitters. I am also committed to the Liber T for the year as my pesonal deck.

I think that one reason the deck study may have stalled is due to the upcoming companion book that is, I have heard, in the works. The art and the symbolism is all outstanding and will show that this deck does stand the test of time.

Still this deck remains one of the very few that have invaded my dreams and that helps me to connect with the deck. Slowly and with steady small doses this deck works its magic on me.

Onyx.

thorhammer

I had mine for about a week. In that time, I trimmed it, then traded it to someone who I believe keeps it partly because I trimmed it :D and because of the colour scheme ;).

It was the production, for me. It could have been, should have been, a great deck; but USG ruined it for me with the shoddy resolution and hideous credit-card texture, not to mention the cards that were marred, for me, by print defects like purple dots and streaks.

Patrick's beautiful artwork deserved much more than to be churned out with such a cheap-and-nasty finish. He invested not only years of his life and talent, but, it seemed to me, great chunks of his soul and personality in that deck. It spoke to me on screen . . . and was silent, abyssal, black-hole-like, in the hand.

\m/ Kat

Essjay

I think it's a beautiful deck, as lovely in the flesh as on the screen but I couldn't click with it at all. There were also a couple of cards that I couldn't get past, really disliked which has never happened to me before. I can normally live with all of the cards but it was enough to make me realise that I would never read with it. Ironically, it also contains some of my most favourite cards but I try to only give shelf space to cards in use so I traded it away.

I am interested in seeing the sister deck when it's ready in 2012.

Having said all of this I just went to Patrick's myspace page to check on the date of the sister tarot and looked at the cards again and thought, "They are beautiful, maybe I should have another look at it." I'm so fickle :)

gregory

I LOVE it. It reads like a dream. I am just appallingly sloppy about following study groups. I do follow discussion of it on a blog (not Patrick's.)

Aerin

It reads well for me, although it exaggerates rather, and I admire the artwork but I will never LOVE it.

Yes, I admire it. I don't have any affection for it. It is very well researched and a good tarot structure too, which is probably why it reads well.

I never want to meet any of the people it depicts. They seem to enjoy torture.

Aerin

nisaba

Mine got given away to a teenage daughter of a friend, who loves it.

I didn't find any depth in it, and it seemed dreary and rather pessimistic to me.

She, however, is adoring it!